• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That sweet sweet Dair

Kimble

Smash Rookie
So marth's dair is pretty cool. How can I use it more? What are some setups? Specifically in the marth ditto, but advice in any matchup is appreciated. Are there setups or do you just have to be smart and use it when the opportunity is there? If so, what is said opportunity? Any tips on how to do it without killing myself? Thanks

Delta Chae

The Observer
Dair is mainly used as the finisher to the Ken Combo and in a few edgeguard situations (I usually only go for a dair if the opponent sucks as sweetspotting the ledge, it's pretty risky to use otherwise 16 frames of landing lag is a lot compared to his other aerials). It's generally difficult to land on its own so it's mainly used out of a fair (The previously mentioned Ken Combo) though whether or not you can land this is dependent on two things: the first and most important is which hitbox you strike with and when (And this itself is dependent on the physics and weight of the character your are fighting), and whether your opponent DIs out or not. If your opponent does DI the fair out then you should return to the stage and prepare to edgeguard.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Yeah, pretty much what you've gotta do with dair is attempt to find opportunities to look for it. Ken Combo setups are a little difficult, but if you see it, take it. Something important to mention is that it's way easier to sweetspot the dair with the hitboxes behind him, and the hitbox with the best spike angle sends them insanely far to the side as well as down, so even if the spike itself doesn't quite kill them, their recovery's going to probably fall short. Really though, the moral of the story is only go for it if you're 99% sure it'll land or if you're styling. Styling's always fun.

Abel SSB

Smash Cadet
I just kinda combo with dair. Dair out of shield and use it to spike fox or falco when it recovers with up b

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Depending on how and where the spacie decides to recover, you very well may need a read on movement to spike them properly, and risking that isn't always your best bet. As far as comboing with dair goes, it actually can be a super good move for popping up floaties. I got a popup dair on Samus around 60%, juggled for a bit, and they were very very dead.

Potsandpans.bangbang

Smash Rookie
Yeah, besides for edgeguarding, it can be useful if someone is shield pressuring from behind you, cause your options are pretty much limited to roll/spot dodge, WDOoS, or doing an aerial, and dair is the best aerial for this situation in my opinion. It can also be good for combos in some situations. Just be sure you got L canceling down if you're gonna use it on the stage, cause the dair lag time is horrible if you don't L cancel it. As far as edgeguarding with it, I think it works by far the best when done with ken combo. If you knock them off the stage and just wait for them to recover close to the stage, then try to jump off and spike them, you're probably going to suicide a lot even if you pop up right before you dair them (im not sure what the term for that is, where you jump immediately before using an arial when you're off stage), cause the lag time for his dair is so long. So i feel like comboing with a dair spike (like the ken combo) is the best way to off stage dair without risking suicide.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Yeah, besides for edgeguarding, it can be useful if someone is shield pressuring from behind you, cause your options are pretty much limited to roll/spot dodge, WDOoS, or doing an aerial, and dair is the best aerial for this situation in my opinion. It can also be good for combos in some situations. Just be sure you got L canceling down if you're gonna use it on the stage, cause the dair lag time is horrible if you don't L cancel it. As far as edgeguarding with it, I think it works by far the best when done with ken combo. If you knock them off the stage and just wait for them to recover close to the stage, then try to jump off and spike them, you're probably going to suicide a lot even if you pop up right before you dair them (im not sure what the term for that is, where you jump immediately before using an arial when you're off stage), cause the lag time for his dair is so long. So i feel like comboing with a dair spike (like the ken combo) is the best way to off stage dair without risking suicide.
If somebody's in the process of ascending towards the ledge, though, a ledgehop dair (perfectly placed) will just spike them into oblivion.

Potsandpans.bangbang

Smash Rookie
If somebody's in the process of ascending towards the ledge, though, a ledgehop dair (perfectly placed) will just spike them into oblivion.
Yeah, if you can land that consistently, do that. That spacing is pretty difficult though, if you mess up they can punish pretty easily, and you're right on the edge. So I guess it depends on how good your spacing is.

Top Bottom