• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That beautiful day

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
I've been playing smash seriously for a few months now. Now I don't claim to be as serious as most of the pro gamers on the boards. But I have been slowly trying to improve my game ever since I stumbled on the whole new world of smash I found here. And after months of working on things I feel like I'd improved a bit but essential techniques like L-canceling and wavedashing still weren't in my fingers. I just didn't have that rhythm down. Ever time I would focus on doing one technique others would slide and I would play worse. That is until yesterday. For some reaosn I was playing yesterday and the rhythm came to me. It was like opening a door. I am not sure why but I was just playing the best smash I have ever played. I still have a lot to work on but I am very glad that all my work is finally starting to pay off. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else on their growth as a smash player? Was there ever one particular day where things just clicked for you?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Yea, that's basically what I remember making the jump in skill levels being like. suddenly, you no longer have to think hard about how to wavedash, you're fingers just do it. FFing the SHL just happened, without exerting any thought. Lcancels just started happening. It's still been a long road to where I am now, but there was definately one day where advanced techniques all just started to click. Kinda weird how that works out, huh?

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
well congratulations that all of your hard work is starting to finally pay off, I still remember when it all happened to me. I cannot speak for everyone on the boards but I can definatly say that I go through some off days, and some others where it feels like I can do no wrong. Oh well playing smash seriously is like playing a sport in my oppinion. You have your good and bad days. What seperates the pros is that they never have bad days (or it seems like it) lolz. Any way good luck, have fun and as always take it easy.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
yeah one day i was finally able to link together a bunch of shuffled dairs with falco,

i know thats not even a strat but i was like "hey this is **** fast"

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys. I am really glad to see some results here. Just like anything you try to be good at there are always those things that make you want to keep going. And yesterday was one of those steps for me. I'm sure that it was a bit of an on day for me...and there will definetly be those off days. I'm just excited to keep practicing and getting better now. Man this game is fun:)

P.S. Tongji...I'm originally from Milwaukee...go wisconsin..hah

Superstar

Smash Champion
Hmm, when I was learning Mario, something like that never happened for me, mainly because I started on an on day.

But with Samus, learning the double missle was a whole different experience. I just COULD not get it. Even after studying the animation in 1/4 time, I could not time the second missle right [always too early]. Then a few days later, I practiced again, for the 3rd time, and I could suddenly double missle 3/4 of the time, it was awesome [I mean in 1/1 time].

Of course, I also learned NEVER to practice the double missle more than 3 minutes at a time. After 3 min, your hands get so tired the timing becomes difficult, and then you get worse again...:urg:

I can finally get it, but only in short burst, and not under pressure.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I actually remember getting better very very gradually without any real big 'clicks'. Perhaps this is just because I was so utterly obsessed with monitoring every aspect of my progress that I could quite likely list every tech I've learned in order, also listing the general date, time of day, temperature, and wind speed.

Anyway, congrats on your apparent breakthrough. Nowhere to go now but up.

And when you're feeling hopeless and down, troubled with failure and loss, remember what the fortune cookie told me:

"Discontent is the first necessity of progress."

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I remember it as well. I went to my first tourney and was 4 stocked by a very good Sheik player. About six months later, I got matched up with the same guy. It was the most intense and closest set I had ever played in. It was best two out of three, we went through all three matches.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
dude i know exactly how u feel, like one day u jus can see ur character and time buttons perfectly where they shuold be pushed and u can feel that u improved but ur just like wow this is crazy.
for me, one day i was playing and i used to have problems l cancelling, and then one day my mind was just on a different level and it told me "just press L at this moment" and it just all came to me lol. theres still some improvement needed tho for sure. specially with my fox

edit: omg why isnt my sig showing anymore

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
For a month or two after I learned of advanced techs, I had a good distribution of my tech skills. They were all either equally good or equally bad in a span, because I didn't really focus on one thing. But I do remember one day I could suddenly just do everything the way I wanted to without having to put much thought other than "this is what I want to do right now". I think that this a breakthrough moment in a lot of player's games, because once you have the technical aspects of your character(s) down, you can start to focus solely on the mental game: spacing your attcks, being unpredictable, reading your opponent's style, etc. Though increasing tech skill seems to lead to a drastic progression of skill (mainly because of all the extra options and speed you now possess), after you hit a certain point everything relies solely on the mental game and grows very gradually with tournament experience, playing a variety of people, etc.

Sadly, a lot of people get stunted when they hit the top of their tech skill...

mario-man

Smash Lord
Absolutely!!!!! I was trying to wavedash for 4 weeks, and then one day I just wavedashed like nobody's business out of the clear blue sky. It was indeed "A Beautiful Day".

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
hey your from wisconsin? woot! good to hear from another cheez head lolz are you going to any midwest tournies?? perhaps Ill see you there.:)

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
About one year ago I switched from Link to Sheik and was able to combo well, but not do any advanced techniques. About a month after that I switched to Ice Climbers and started picking up techniques like WD and De-Synching (ICs only though). After that I switched between other characters and gradually began picking up other techniques.

But the techniques didn't "click" for me, it took me quite some time to master them, cuz I suck!:laugh:

captainlukey

Smash Ace
i love threads like this... they really inspire the whole smash community....
and i dont know why this happens but my skill works like that too but with some off days..... *stares of into space with a growing look of discontent*
oh by the way how do you change that thing under your name.... im sick of smash noob lol

mario-man

Smash Lord
First off, It changes depending on your post count. Up to 25 it's n00b, then child up to 100, then Journeyman up to 500, and I forget what it is after that. Also, if you're a premium member you can change it.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
dont worry superstar, dmc is rediculously confusing. but im pretty sure a posted a vid of my controller doing it lol hmmm

but one of the more troublesome things i had doing was shield wavedashing, anyone had a problem with that? its redicuoulsy hard.

and i cant get the basic IC infinite rawr

Top Bottom