• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texture Replacement Confusion

chinxadelic

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm super new to this and i've been looking everywhere for answers but I just can't seem to find any.

I'm running melee off usb on my wii and I was wondering how would I go about properly replacing textures for my characters.

The way i've been trying to do it is just dragging and dropping the .dat files into the "Gale01" folder on my usb and this worked for multiple textures like Sasuke Falco and the rainbow shine but I can't seem to get skins for Captain Falcon or Samus to work. I've really been trying to get the green ranger skin for Capt. Falcon but when I select it and choose my stage the game just stops while the music continues playing.

I remember sometimes on Project M overwritting a file could cause it to corrupt so you would have to delete the file then insert the new custom file, is that still the case in this situation ? Or do I have to use gcr somehow to replace the files safely ?

Thanks in advance, I know there's plenty of FAQs but none seem to address the particular situation, most talk about manipulating the files while Melee is still an .iso but i've already converted it to the Gale01 folder and have had success with the falco skins so i know it can be manipulated in that form.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Hey I'm super new to this and i've been looking everywhere for answers but I just can't seem to find any.

I'm running melee off usb on my wii and I was wondering how would I go about properly replacing textures for my characters.

The way i've been trying to do it is just dragging and dropping the .dat files into the "Gale01" folder on my usb and this worked for multiple textures like Sasuke Falco and the rainbow shine but I can't seem to get skins for Captain Falcon or Samus to work. I've really been trying to get the green ranger skin for Capt. Falcon but when I select it and choose my stage the game just stops while the music continues playing.

I remember sometimes on Project M overwritting a file could cause it to corrupt so you would have to delete the file then insert the new custom file, is that still the case in this situation ? Or do I have to use gcr somehow to replace the files safely ?

Thanks in advance, I know there's plenty of FAQs but none seem to address the particular situation, most talk about manipulating the files while Melee is still an .iso but i've already converted it to the Gale01 folder and have had success with the falco skins so i know it can be manipulated in that form.
Open your iso with GCR, and then replace the files there. Pl****.dat are the character costumes, there is a list of which ones correspond to which characters in the Melee, Hacks, and You thread on page 2. Remember that you cannot use a different color for a costume, i.e. blue Fox can only be replaced by a blue Fox costume.

chinxadelic

Smash Rookie
Open your iso with GCR, and then replace the files there. Pl****.dat are the character costumes, there is a list of which ones correspond to which characters in the Melee, Hacks, and You thread on page 2. Remember that you cannot use a different color for a costume, i.e. blue Fox can only be replaced by a blue Fox costume.

Ok so I understand all of this stuff and I did what you said and instead of dragging and dropping into my root folder I opened everything up in gcr, replaced the files, then rebuilt the game and everything works but for some reason no matter what skin I put on Capt. Falcon the game crashes. Is there any particular reason behind this?

Top Bottom