• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tether Fail Still...

Orion Prime

Smash Cadet
Okay, so I posted a while back asking about when the tether fails to grab the edge regarding when it is even or slightly above ledge. I understand that this happens and it must simply be worked around...

My question is WHY? Does anyone know why this failure even happens, is it a bug? Seems like something that would have been great to fix in the 3.5 update (especially if this happens with all tether characters?). Any thoughts?

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
It's just a matter of the Brawl engine's ability to detect tethers. Basically, the game doesn't recognize you in range at certain angles, and so it'll do the "almost max range but just outside of your range" tether bounce off the ledge.

I asked ORO?! about it and he said it's absurdly difficult for them to fix it, basically impossible because of how poorly the game was designed and the fact that they have to program in assembly. Either way, the best thing to do is just rising grapple if you're around that area, just to have that extra height to get to the ledge if you bounce off.

Litt

Samus
problem with rising grapple is you only really get vertical distance if you just go straight up, any directional influence on the initial air dodge upward results in almost all vert movement lost

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
I mean, I haven't died from the tether glitch in like 3 months because of my use of rising grapple, so I don't see the issue. if you're trying to tether from full length away while still being even with or above the ledge, then you're doing it wrong, anyway. Get closer and then do it. You should even be able to drift all the way to stage if you need to.

Litt

Samus
I mean, I haven't died from the tether glitch in like 3 months because of my use of rising grapple, so I don't see the issue. if you're trying to tether from full length away while still being even with or above the ledge, then you're doing it wrong, anyway. Get closer and then do it. You should even be able to drift all the way to stage if you need to.
No I was just saying in general, rising is only good for direct vertical recovery, and not much else, maybe as a bluff for them to hit you again, even if you werent going to make it back on after you already used your first grapple

Orion Prime

Smash Cadet
Well that makes me feel a bit less bad ab SD'ing occasionally knowing that it is actually a difficult fix, as opposed to some spiteful punishment for all us cheap tether-ers. Thx for the info.

Anyone have any good ideas on dealing w the increased ledge hop lag for being ledge-hogged while tethering? Seems like once the person I'm fighting realizes how long the lag is now I'm pretty much screwed. I know "avoid getting ledge-hogged at all cost"is the best option, but beyond that...

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Learn how to sweet spot ledge with Screw Attack, and get good at rising grapple. If you ever are in a position where you can wall jump, you need to lay a bomb right after the jump or you'll be too far from ledge to make it back with screw attack. Basically, start to recognize that tether isn't your best option, and you need to learn to get back without it entirely.

Litt

Samus
Learn how to sweet spot ledge with Screw Attack, and get good at rising grapple. If you ever are in a position where you can wall jump, you need to lay a bomb right after the jump or you'll be too far from ledge to make it back with screw attack. Basically, start to recognize that tether isn't your best option, and you need to learn to get back without it entirely.
Meh, B reversals allow wall climing with the wall jump, dont bother with the bombs, it just makes you vulnerable, as for
Well that makes me feel a bit less bad ab SD'ing occasionally knowing that it is actually a difficult fix, as opposed to some spiteful punishment for all us cheap tether-ers. Thx for the info.

Anyone have any good ideas on dealing w the increased ledge hop lag for being ledge-hogged while tethering? Seems like once the person I'm fighting realizes how long the lag is now I'm pretty much screwed. I know "avoid getting ledge-hogged at all cost"is the best option, but beyond that...
What I have found is just to not grapple anymore, like never :/

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Grapple is still quick and best if used when a DBZ moment occurs, and your opponent is recovering too. This is obvious, but don't say never. :p I'd like to think grapples aren't trash; maybe recyclable plastics, but not trash.

Top Bottom