• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Terra (FFVI) & Bartz (FFV) were Considered for SSB4

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
A recent interview with Sakurai and Nomura has gone online, it is split into two parts, here is Part 1.

They go on to talk about how Sakurai went about contacting SE to get an FF character into smash. He initially considered either Terra or Bartz, however since Cloud usually takes up 1/3rd of the FF character requests hes constantly getting, he pushed for Cloud instead. In the interview he said that while Terra or Bartz would have made the most sense, he feared no one would know who they were. I guess hes never herd of the many re-makes and re-releases that FFV and FFVI have gotten. I would comment on him not knowing about the Dissidia games, but the interview clearly states that Clouds appearance in SSB4 borrows from his Dissidia series design ...

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Terra would have been very unexpected but cool. Cloud was the right choice though. He's iconic, and represents the pinnacle of Final Fantasy's popularity.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I would have loved characters from the other FF games as well, but yeah; Cloud is the face of FF and JRPGs in general. It only makes sense for him to be in.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Terra would have been very unexpected but cool. Cloud was the right choice though. He's iconic, and represents the pinnacle of Final Fantasy's popularity.
He also represents FF's jump from Nintendo to Sony for mainstream FF games.

I'm just really salty right now, We ALMOST had Terra *sobbing*

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Nomura said that Cloud's clothes were drawn from Dissidia, not his entire design tho and Sakurai said that his Dissidia design due to being slimmer, would look out of place if they had just put into Smash

I would've loved to see Cecil in, and interesting to read that Terra and Bartz (I'm surprised about him) could have been
But I do believe that Cloud fits very well into Smash Bros

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
If Nintendo were to ever touch back to making DLC solely for the titles that were released, it'd be cool to have Cecil from FF 4, but realistically, I'd say in terms of Final Fantasy popularity, they'd probably go along the lines of having Tidus, and Squall (Leon).

In that sense, in the mindset that they would make more DLC for FF characters in the future, I'd say that they would add a more recent character following cloud's release. Probably lightning, since she was the next jump from going to Sony to being multiplatform. Lol, and it sounds funny. Lightning-Cloud. But, that's just looking at it if they would do another addition from FF, it would be her solely for her being the more recent and popular character. There was even an event for FF14 where she was featured in a quest for a limited time.

Last edited:

Shadestars

Smash Cadet
I mean, if I may nitpick here...

Sakurai never considered Bartz or Terra. He threw those names out as examples of characters that aren't as recognizable as Cloud. That is all.

Context is everything.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
The fact that Sakurai knew them well enough to name them off is what makes me thing they were considered. also remember this is the english translation of a japanese interview. For all we know the japanese interview did state they were considered, but that wasn't included in the translation. you can never expect a perfect translation, so we can never really know the true context of the statement unless someone from japan was willing to directly translate for us.

Shadestars

Smash Cadet
The fact that Sakurai knew them well enough to name them off is what makes me thing they were considered. also remember this is the english translation of a japanese interview. For all we know the japanese interview did state they were considered, but that wasn't included in the translation. you can never expect a perfect translation, so we can never really know the true context of the statement unless someone from japan was willing to directly translate for us.
Ok so, you're still assuming they were considered without an actual statement saying so. He didnt actually say they were considered in the interview and you yourself confirm you haven't accurately translated the original interview.

To add to that, the tone and context of the translated one clearly suggests, beyond language barriers, the names he listed of were intended to proove his own initial point that Cloud is the only consideration to be made because he is the most recognizable.

And to add again, Fosuya and Strago were also mentioned in jest as they took conversation further, characters so unrecognizable that even Nomura mentions he's surprised that Sakurai even knows who Fosuya is.

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
You've a point, I probably shouldn't have jumped the gun. But really thats just what I got from the interview, so I just got very not happy. I would have much preferred Terra over Cloud any day of the week.

Shadestars

Smash Cadet
You've a point, I probably shouldn't have jumped the gun. But really thats just what I got from the interview, so I just got very not happy. I would have much preferred Terra over Cloud any day of the week.
All good man, good sport. But hey if nothing else, the interview does seem to indicate that Sakurai, surprisingly, knows the FF franchise rather well. I'm pretty happy with that. maybe if DLC fighters returned or there was to be a new smash game (as unlikely as that is) I could expect more FF characters.

I mean, he knew who Fosuya was, Im a pretty die hard FF guy and I didnt even know who that is. A character near the end of FF3, or so Im told.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well this cleared things up to me. I was going to ask if maybe Square told Sakurai that they would let him use the highest ranking SE character from the poll or he just got in from word of mouth. A bit sad that this meant that those who voted for Cloud, wasted their votes. And to some extent, Terra and Bratz.

It seems there is no mention of Cecil.

I like to think that he represents the "generation lost" that is with that FF VII was going to be an N64 game, but moved to PS which was itself going to be a Nintendo console.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can I just say how great it would have been if this man made it in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom