• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech of the Week: U-turn

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
Id like to start a discussion on this tech called u-turn

I tried this with bowser jr and found that his u-turn is somewhat useful and has a decent slide effect to it.

I found that using this tech with down tilt is pretty good in neutral because it has small end lag to it.

You can also use this tech with bowser jr's down smash to cover ledge getup options.
you could also bait a dash attack or dash grab by running away and if they dont space it correctly you can use the u-turn tech and punish with a downsmash

I want to know your guy's thoughts on U-turn and if you think it would be viable in competitive gameplay.

in my opinion, i found it very useful at times because bowser jr's d-smash is extremely powerful and can kill relatively early.
it still is very punishable, but it doesnt hurt to have this tech in your arsenal.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
actually never heard of this U-turn but once I tried it, its super easy to do!

I can easy see this being a bait for a U-turn Side Smash/Jab/Down Tilt aswell somewhat in neutral while U-Turn Downsmash/SideSmash could work wonders at baiting on ledges

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
actually never heard of this U-turn but once I tried it, its super easy to do!

I can easy see this being a bait for a U-turn Side Smash/Jab/Down Tilt aswell somewhat in neutral while U-Turn Downsmash/SideSmash could work wonders at baiting on ledges
a mindgame that works for me is lay down a mechakoopa away from the opponent and run with along with it (dont pick it up) and when it turns at the ledge, you can do a u-turn with it, and punish whatever they react with.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Interesting.
Dsmash is still crap, but this may be useful for Jr's Utilt or Ftilt if we can do those to extend their range.

BelieveInParappa

Smash Rookie
NNID
BelieveInParappa
This looks golden. I'm gonna practice this when I get home and find a way to implement it.

Interesting.
Dsmash is still crap, but this may be useful for Jr's Utilt or Ftilt if we can do those to extend their range.
Up-smash is way better for covering ledge options.

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
This looks golden. I'm gonna practice this when I get home and find a way to implement it.

Up-smash is way better for covering ledge options.
heres an example of how you can use it as jr, notice that it wouldve covered roll, regular getup, and getup attack

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Its important to remember that dsmash has no lingering hitbox and is only active for 2 frames. You still need to be incredibly precise to predict movement and land a frame 18 move with no linger in that situation. Definitely a cool mixup but Idk if I'd try it more than once per set, the risk is so high...

Last edited:
Top Bottom