• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Chasing with Puff

i4n

Smash Rookie
So basically in my honest opinion puff is the 3rd best character in the game. the ability to get a kill off of a read at almost any given moment is ridiculously good and the reason why puff will never be bad. With this in mind I want to say that one of the biggest things lacking from puff is effectively tech chasing. (Shoutouts to The Oak for a few of these ideas.)

Puff is pretty slow on the ground, or once you're on the ground in general. One of the worst dashes/runs, one of the shortest wavedashes. She's pretty fast in the air, however jump squat takes 5 frames so to get off the ground so gaining access to this maneuverability takes extra time. This is part of the reason platform tech chase rest is the more general thing we see from top puffs because you're usually already in the air and the opponent usually has more restricted options.

So what does that mean when you knock an opponent over and you're now in a tech chase situation? or maybe even reacting to their option after lack of tech. The first important thing is knowing at what percent your moves are gonna knock the opponent down, you can usually figure this out in matches vs CPU's or even in training mode. Seriously it'll help you to see it for yourself and recognize the situations.

Anyways lets say you hit Fox with an upsmash at 30% just as a basic example. The first thing you should know is he's going to have to tech this is a pretty obvious percent, and whats cool about upsmash is that it won't send him super far left or right and that it has IASA frames so you can get out of it a little earlier. (Understanding where they're going to be knocked to is important for this is well, once again practice on CPU's in 20XX or level 4-7 cpu's in vanilla) Okay in this scenario first things first: position to cover tech in place/no tech. This is pretty simple, if you read tech in place just jump in and rest it, if you aren't sure, jump close and be ready to jab the no tech or grab the tech in place. (take note of the first tech option they use and cover it next time.) Now if they tech roll towards you and you went for the "not sure" positioning you can cover the roll through with f smash to maybe get them off stage or turnaround/pivot grab. (pivot grab is sick as **** ill talk more about that in another thread maybe.) HOWEVER, if you go for the "not sure" coverage. They can tech roll away and thats the only option that will save them, since you committed to the ground. If your opponent starts teching away a lot you can cover it by being in the air near the area they have to tech in and just floating towards them > empty land grab. (I say grab in a lot of these scenarios because a lot of people tech > shield/spacies tech > shine and grab beats both of those)

Okay so thats the basic flowchart for a general tech scenario. Hit opponent > cover tech in place/ no tech > turn around to grab/f smash tech in > take stage if they tech away. I didn't mention get up attack because get up attacks are all so slow you should be able to shield > grab them 100% of the time and possibly even shield > rest OoS those? I'll post in the comments here when i find out about resting them out of shield.

Now that we have our first tech interaction kinda figured out (note: if you know something about your opponents tech habits already just cover their comfort option with rest.) lets talk about what happens if you hit them in the first scenario. Basically a general response to getting hit for missing a tech is teching in place/away. I 100% believe that after the first missed tech read you should default cover the tech away/in place option, you usually jump to cover tech in place and then if they tech away... land/waveland > dash > pivot grab. Now thats all pretty situational. if you're at all late on your read you won't be able to cover the tech away. Against some characters and depending on how far the initial hit knocked them away you may not be able to cover the tech away at all in those situations just take stage.

If you don't cover their first tech successfully... Basically cover whatever option they used last but try to go for the non committal read still, you're gonna need a few interactions to fully get an idea of their habits/what they're thinking when they tech.

But yeah tech chase rest, It'll win you games

If you have a specific tech scenario you wanna talk about please post here I think it would help myself and everyone just to kinda talk through scenarios and what is/isnt possible at certain percents against certain characters.

Top Bottom