• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech chasing capabilities?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
Yeah I know, it sounds stupid to even ask, but is Marth any good at tech chasing, like in any situation?

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
All the time

After fthrow (10% after) and Dthrow.

His disjoint can often even cover 2 tech options at once and his grab range helps too

Smashing Turnips

Smash Cadet
Marth's tech chasing is amazing. D-throw is good at any percent, and will set up a tech chase, where f-throw won't cause a knockdown until ~10%. It's a great way to get a feel for your opponent, since you'll be seeing their tech habits, however as you go up in skill their habits are harder to read.

Your dash dance length and Marth's speed are really good for reaction based tech chasing, if you're opting for more grabs, and is a pretty big part of the Marth/Falcon MU. You'll want to tech chase Falcon to roughly 30% (or get him off stage), mixing in pummels for a bit of extra damage (my rule of thumb is 1 pummel for every grab after 7% and goes until 20%, and then 2 after).
Mixing up tech chases with your up throw is also good under platforms, and is a good way to make your opponent mix a tech, resulting in a potential hard punish.

Against the space animals you can use a d-throw after a few up-throw regrabs; this can catch them off guard, and make them miss the tech where you can f-smash them for free. If they tech, however, Marth is fast enough to react and get a regrab.

Sorry if my explanation is a little long winded, but I figured I could give you a few examples on what you could do off of throws and tech chases.

AirFair

Marth tho
Marth techchases are great off of fthrow and dthrow. Techchasing Falcon is so useful, since you don't get any good uthrow followups till 30%

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow knocks down at 0, and can be buffered. You can act quicker out of fthrow, and it's generally better. If you do it right, you should be able to tech-chase from the point fthrow knocks down to death on a lot of characters.

Top Bottom