• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Strategies for Villager + Partner Ideas

Se7enSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
Se7enSB
Villager may not be the best character in singles but I am convinced that he is undoubtfully one of the top 5 characters in teams and this thread will list why I believe this.
- - - - - - - - - -
In this game you can be very creative with your teams and strategies. A good example is Kirby + Shulk, and this is because when Kirby copies Shulk he gains the Monado Arts which is a huge game changer. Kirby can cover all of his weaknesses except range due to the Monado Arts.

- - - - - - - - - -
Now for Villager he doesn't have to rely on someone like Shulk to be good in teams like Kirby does.
Note : I highly encourage you guys to give me some ideas to add to this with different characters.

Villager works well with
• Another Villager :4villagerf:
• Samus :4samus:
• Zero Suit Samus :4zss:
• Pit/Dark Pit :4pit::4darkpit:
• Ness :4ness:
• Greninja :4greninja::substitute:
• Lucario :4lucario:
• King Dedede :4dedede:
• Mega Man :4megaman:

...but wait, why are these characters good with Villager?

1) Villager:4villager: + Villager:4villagerf:: One Villager can fully charge a Bowling Ball and the other Villager can pocket it or can pocket a tree. The Villager who didn't pocket can either grab or Dsmash an opponent to give the other Villager a chance to drop his pocketed item leading to a very very early kill or just huge damage. Both Villagers can gimp extremely well too, and get almost free stage control. Rate 4/5

2) Villager:4villager: + Samus:4samus:: This team is a one trick pony. Charge shot into pocket. Samus is very underused and can't take pressure so this isn't the greatest team. Rate 1/5

3) Villager:4villager:+ Zero Suit Samus:4zss:: This team is great. Zero Suit Samus has awesome mobility and combo game, plus her Neutral B or Dsmash give you a free Bowling Ball. Villager can beast offstage and Zero Suit Samus can help you when pressured. Rate 5/5

4) Villager:4villager: + Pit :4pit:/ Dark Pit:4darkpit:: Another one trick pony but is much better than Samus as a partner. If you plant a tree and cut it, Pit or Dark Pit can use their Guardian Orbitars to reflect the tree leading to a free tree to pocket (MUST BE SPACED). Another thing to note is that Battlefield/Duck Hunt/ Town and City are great stages because Villager can go to the top platforms (Duck Hunt's Tree) and drop a full charged bowling ball, on top of the Orbitars to send them back up, then the Villager must mash B to Pocket it in time. Rate 3/5

5) Villager:4villager: + Ness:4ness:: When Ness is offstage and Vulnerable you can assist his recovery. You can also heal Ness (used by MJG + FOW) by pocketing his PKThunder and then throw it into his PSI Magnet. Ness juggles everyone to death and both of you are amazing in the air. Keep in mind MJG + FOW took second at Apex in Smash 4 Doubles. Rate 5/5

6) Villager:4villager: + Greninja:4greninja:: Another One trick pony, Villager can pocket a fully charged Water Shuriken. It's really fun to have someone offstage with fairs and then instantly throw a Shuriken to close it out. Not a bad team because Greninja can get damage like crazy. It's also worth mentioning that Greninja's water taunt does damage so if you want to style you could try to continuously footstool them into the taunt.
Rate 3/5

7) Villager:4villager: + Lucario:4lucario:: If you want to be effecient you should do the Anuubis strategy or whatever it's called where Lucario takes damage and clocks in. You will want to stall and just play a very careful support game. When Lucario sends one of them offstage you should kill them if possible. Another thing to do is pocket his Aura Sphere when he's at crazy high percent.

8) Villager:4villager: + King Dedede:4dedede:: This team is broken. Villager can pocket Gordos, and King Dedede can throw them when Villager has one. If two Gordos collide they bounce off at extreme speeds and ONE HIT KO whatever they touch. I can show a video but it will be from Mobile. Villager can Dsmash them or grab them and give King Dedede a chance to finish them. Another reason this team is good is because King Dedede is fat, which means he will take a lot of damage before he dies, which means he gets rage with megaton power, which means when Villager gets a grab or Dsmash the opponent is screwed. Another setup for a kill is : Dedede Grab > spam pummel until they slide (not jump) out > Villager Dsmash > Death. Rate 5/5

9) Villager:4villager:+ Mega Man:4megaman:: Not a great time but Villager can pocket projectiles and a fully charged Fsmash, so free kills all day. The problem is that neither of them excel up close. Rate 2/5

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Missing Villager and Zelda.

Villager can pocket phantom, for early kills and easy shieldbreaks, and Zelda can reflect tree, and Villager can pocket it again, for a free OHKO.

Villager can also ride Lloid into Zelda, she can reflect it, and it becomes a surprise projectile that can kill Ganon at less than 100%

cree318

Smash Cadet
NNID
cree318
3DS FC
0301-9783-2199
I've been testing the idea of a Villager and Yoshi team. They obviously aren't the best partners for each other but Villy's ability to rack up damage complements yoshi's kill moves. Also, egglay to tree sprout/chop is sooooo fun to pull off.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
How is Kirby not on this list?
Villager + Kirby obviously has to be an incredible team together.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Villager and Pac-man would be pretty cool. Pocket the fruit or the hydrant for more projectile spammage. If customs are on, then the meteor trampoline would be great to pocket as well. I bet fighting a good Villager-Pacman team would be super frustrating and difficult.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Villager and Pac-man would be pretty cool. Pocket the fruit or the hydrant for more projectile spammage. If customs are on, then the meteor trampoline would be great to pocket as well. I bet fighting a good Villager-Pacman team would be super frustrating and difficult.
Ive seen one of those. Double firehydrant action

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Ive seen one of those. Double firehydrant action
Honestly Pac-man and Villager is like my dream team right now. I've always found Pac-man as a pretty interesting character, and I think his quirkiness would collaborate well with Villager. Maybe I'll check out the Pac-man boards and see what they think.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Honestly Pac-man and Villager is like my dream team right now. I've always found Pac-man as a pretty interesting character, and I think his quirkiness would collaborate well with Villager. Maybe I'll check out the Pac-man boards and see what they think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InV6aiKcNPc

This might interest you then, if its your dream team, haha XD

Last edited:

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
Villager + Pac Man is godlike. Our dtilt can pull up the hydrant in one hit, and if a hydrant is hit by another hydrant that second hydrant goes flying too. We can take the red trampoline from pac man and gimp people, Aqua planing, Save the fruit like apple for the kill or the bell to set up for Bowling ball or something, you can pocket the special motion orb (side b) for a little heals. Pac Man Villager is just plain out ridiculous, I NEED a Pac Main. I WILL MARRY A PAC MAIN.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Villager x Villager on flat stage leads (OM, FD)
Villager in back charges fsmash, villager in front lloids and sh pockets the fsmash. Works like a charm.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Villager x Villager on flat stage leads (OM, FD)
Villager in back charges fsmash, villager in front lloids and sh pockets the fsmash. Works like a charm.
I do that but with Zelda's phantom.

Lovely stuff.

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
There's good ideas in the OP, but I feel like it's more centered around abusing one move, like Villager's Pocket or Down Smash, than synergy.

Synergy is more important in team play than being able to abuse a few of the teammate's moves. Don't get me wrong, I recognize how strong pocketing back your tree or a strong projectile is, but a good team is able to cover each other's weaknesses too, and I think you did not elaborate enough on this point.

:4villager:/:4ness:
Your Ness idea was probably the most on point. There's a reason why this particular team was chosen by FOW and MJG and did so well.

- Villager is good at handling two opponents at once, so Ness has an easier time recovering. Villager can gimp people offsage or control the ledge while Ness recovers.
- The zoning game is great, with PK Thunder, PK Fire, Trees, Lloids and Slingshots. You have long lasting hit-boxes all over the place, but they are all unique and have different properties.
- You can heal Ness by pocketing his PK Thunder and throwing it back at him, while Villager can take a lot of damage before dying, so you can survive for pretty long. Healing does take quite some time, but 30% of health back is HUGE, and you can do it multiple times instead of going for a gimp, for example.
- Villager is good at racking up damage, and Ness has great kill potential, so you won't have an hard time getting to kill percent and killing.
- Ness can quickly stop the pressure with Bthrows or Nairs
- Villager lets Ness go in safe with Lloids/Fairs/Bairs.
They just complement each other very well.

:4villager:/:4villagerf:
Double Villager is risky. You're both amazing at tanking, zoning and spacing. Then what? How do you get the kills? How do you reply when your defense falls and you get rushed-down? Utilizing the Dsmash to let the other Villager kill is cool, but situational since you won't always be close enough to each other. Pocketing the items is a plus and gives you some decent killing potential. It works amazing against certain MUs, but it can also fall apart easily because it has some flaws. It's a good team, but not optimal. Really fun to play though.

:4villager:/:4pacman:
Villager/Pacman is not so good.
- Both are kind of heavy/tanky.
- Both have amazing recoveries.
- Both have a good projectile (Lloid/Fruits)
- Both have a good static stage control attack that can transform into a hitbox (Hydrant/Tree)
- Both have good, though situational kill moves
- Both have awful ''different'' grabs
- Both have an average running speed
- Both are a little lacking up close.
They are too similar to cover the other's weaaknesses, but they can't abuse the other's moves well either. Villager has trouble launching a grounded hydrant, pocketing the fruits isn't game breaking, you rely too much on hydrant -> pocket spamming, when separated or pressured the teammates don't really benefit from each other. You have insane zoning, but that's about it.

A good team needs BOTH synergy and the tools to abuse each other's moves.

I have to think and test more before giving more good teams, but I think it is important to be aware of this aspect of teambuilding before we start discussing it.

Villager + Pac Man is godlike. Our dtilt can pull up the hydrant in one hit, and if a hydrant is hit by another hydrant that second hydrant goes flying too. We can take the red trampoline from pac man and gimp people, Aqua planing, Save the fruit like apple for the kill or the bell to set up for Bowling ball or something, you can pocket the special motion orb (side b) for a little heals. Pac Man Villager is just plain out ridiculous, I NEED a Pac Main. I WILL MARRY A PAC MAIN.
Dtilt won't send the Hydrant very far (yes, the move you use to launch the Hydrant changes its trajectory). An alternative is a double Ftilt. It's a little slower, but Ftilt still comes out somewhat quick, and it sends the Hydrant a lot further. It's not good enough to justify a team though.

The trampoline pocketing is nice, but too long to set up. You have to jump on it twice without gettting gimped if offstage, or punished for your landing if onstage. It's dangerous, and losing time is the worst thing you can do in doubles. This is just a tech you can use when it happens that you can Pocket a red trampoline, but you can't abuse it.

Aquaplaning is cool.

If anything, the Hydrant is what you should be Pocketing. I admit this is a good thing to do, and it's kind of what makes the MU viable.

It's still a decent team that can do better than a lot of other character pairs, but I wouldn't say it's godlike.

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
When you're in the Villy Villy pairup, you generally don't want to be spamming pocket. That team isnt about "GIMME THE TREE!" though is how a lot of people play it.
A team partner and I have been testing the Villager Villager team for a few days now, and it seems promising. Yes, there are setups to pocket instakill Fsmashes. Yes, we can setup trees and have instant killing trees. Relying on those is what's going to be the death of the team.
Here you have a character that's great at gimping, great at pressure, and can shut down a lot of enemy options.
Multiply it by two.
Now you have this great gimp and projectile game, and what do you know, you can be at the other side of the map helping your Villager teammate. Sending lloids or pegging a few fairs. Now that villager has more options. Grab is now viable since the opponent is under pressure, pocketing lloid if need be, and any other option he had prior to there being a lloid in the opponents face.
Now the team does have its flaws, as previously mentioned, rushdowns can break the zone game. Reflectors might give the team a problem since supporting lloids is now void. Usually when playing teams with another Villager, One of us is either commiting to gimps or supporting one that plays more aggressive.
Villagers a diverse character, which calls for different playstyles and possibilities, meaning both players don't have to play the same.
I think its better than @ COLINBG COLINBG is giving credit to, but by no means is the best and is given trouble by certain team comps.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
When you're in the Villy Villy pairup, you generally don't want to be spamming pocket. That team isnt about "GIMME THE TREE!" though is how a lot of people play it.
A team partner and I have been testing the Villager Villager team for a few days now, and it seems promising. Yes, there are setups to pocket instakill Fsmashes. Yes, we can setup trees and have instant killing trees. Relying on those is what's going to be the death of the team.
Here you have a character that's great at gimping, great at pressure, and can shut down a lot of enemy options.
Multiply it by two.
Now you have this great gimp and projectile game, and what do you know, you can be at the other side of the map helping your Villager teammate. Sending lloids or pegging a few fairs. Now that villager has more options. Grab is now viable since the opponent is under pressure, pocketing lloid if need be, and any other option he had prior to there being a lloid in the opponents face.
Now the team does have its flaws, as previously mentioned, rushdowns can break the zone game. Reflectors might give the team a problem since supporting lloids is now void. Usually when playing teams with another Villager, One of us is either commiting to gimps or supporting one that plays more aggressive.
Villagers a diverse character, which calls for different playstyles and possibilities, meaning both players don't have to play the same.
I think its better than @ COLINBG COLINBG is giving credit to, but by no means is the best and is given trouble by certain team comps.
I think the worst thing about the villy doubles team is that it doesn't cover Villy's bad MUs

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
Although I haven't tested it at all, I think Villager and Bowser Jr. could be a fairly viable team simply because of the fact that BJ has the freaking strong neutral b cannon. As a Villager, when I fight Bowser Jr.'s, I always bait out those cannons so I can pocket them and launch them back out unexpectedly, KOing pretty early.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Although I haven't tested it at all, I think Villager and Bowser Jr. could be a fairly viable team simply because of the fact that BJ has the freaking strong neutral b cannon. As a Villager, when I fight Bowser Jr.'s, I always bait out those cannons so I can pocket them and launch them back out unexpectedly, KOing pretty early.
You can also take the toy.

And while Bowser Jr. is good at offense, Villager is good at defense, so he can very easily play the stock tank role.

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
You can also take the toy.

And while Bowser Jr. is good at offense, Villager is good at defense, so he can very easily play the stock tank role.
I didn't mention the toy as it means Bowser Jr. can no longer spawn a new one, but I guess it would multiply the damage and make it easier to hit it, as you could just chuck it at the opposing player rather than hoping they walk into it.

This seems like it could be a pretty good duo.

Last edited:

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
Me and a partner tried a villager & bowser jr combo that worked very well for a small round robin. We had an unbeaten winning streak until we were finally beaten by a sonic/diddy combo.

It was customs on, I played with exploding balloons only, and he played with koopa drift & big mechakoopa. The big mechakoopa was brilliant and easy to set up and pocket, and a pocketed mechakoopa did around 30% and could KO, and I could keep it for as long as I wanted to find the best moment. When we could, we used the canon, which was even better. Like mentioned, Bowser JR was good at getting kills and I was good at tanking the stocks, especially by camping with the balloons. Next week will be the full tournament, so we’ll see how this combo plays out (and try to figure out ways of beating sonic/diddy).

Last edited:

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
For anybody who is interested in the Lucario/Villager team- https://youtube.com/watch?v=FmmIkj4PLGA

We didn't win this one, but we definitely did well against two very strong players (shout outs to MJG, and JJRockets).

I team up with that Lucario player regularly, and will attest to the idea that those two work very well together.

Here's another video of us at a smaller event. https://youtube.com/watch?v=FuaYylvL0Ao

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Any thoughts on a Villy Wii Fit pair? Friend and I are getting into dubs and I'm curious.
Villy can pocket the sun salutation, and the soccer ball, and can zone well enough while the Wii Fit Trainer does deep breathing, so its definitely a good combo.

Tokis

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashB_Tokis
3DS FC
1478-3110-1670
Villager is a great character to use in dubs. Honestly maybe even one of the best (For me at least)

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
Double comps that my friends and I usually play with (and work, somewhat) are; Ike-Villager, double villager and villager-mega man.

:4myfriends::4villager:
-This comp mainly focuses on spacing and counter attacking the opponents.
-Villager helps saving Ike from punishes if he try a smash attack with the constant pressure.
-Ike compensates for Villager difficulty of KOing.
-If Villager sends a lloid rocket to Ike, Ike can counter it to get a bit of invincibility and an attack.
-They can combo into each other's aerials.
-Villager can cover for Ike's recovery (just like for Ness)

:4villager::4villagerf:
-This comp has already been talked about a lot in this thread..
-Mainly just really fun

:4villager::4megaman:
-This comp is just full of zoning and off-ledge game.
-All the projectiles make it really hard for opponents to approach.
-Megaman has really good vertical aerials while Villager has good horizontal aerials (as in range).
-If they are both offstage, Megaman's faster recovery can cover for Villager's slower recovery.
-Megaman's grab compensates for Villager's.
-Megaman has good smashes that are pretty quick.
-If you get the chance, you can pocket fsmash or Dair.

...And those are my comps that work for me and my friends!
Also, don't forget to...FIGHT FOR YOUR FRIENDS!

Last edited:

SnoopTurtle

Smash Rookie
Double comps that my friends and I usually play with (and work, somewhat) are; Ike-Villager, double villager and villager-mega man.

:4myfriends::4villager:
-This comp mainly focuses on spacing and counter attacking the opponents.
-Villager helps saving Ike from punishes if he try a smash attack with the constant pressure.
-Ike compensates for Villager difficulty of KOing.
-If Villager sends a lloid rocket to Ike, Ike can counter it to get a bit of invincibility and an attack.
-They can combo into each other's aerials.
-Villager can cover for Ike's recovery (just like for Ness)

:4villager::4villagerf:
-This comp has already been talked about a lot in this thread..
-Mainly just really fun

:4villager::4megaman:
-This comp is just full of zoning and off-ledge game.
-All the projectiles make it really hard for opponents to approach.
-Megaman has really good vertical aerials while Villager has good horizontal aerials (as in range).
-If they are both offstage, Megaman's faster recovery can cover for Villager's slower recovery.
-Megaman's grab compensates for Villager's.
-Megaman has good smashes that are pretty quick.
-If you get the chance, you can pocket fsmash or Dair.

...And those are my comps that work for me and my friends!
Also, don't forget to...FIGHT FOR YOUR FRIENDS!
Masterpiece 10/10 Killager OP

Veen.

Plant. Water. Chop.
NNID
VeenStache711
My teammate for tournaments is a ROB/Sheik main. We've performed ok, but could be better. Any suggestions for Villager/ROB or Villager/Sheik?

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
My teammate for tournaments is a ROB/Sheik main. We've performed ok, but could be better. Any suggestions for Villager/ROB or Villager/Sheik?
Well I don't know much about Villager/ROB but here is what I think about the Villager/Sheik;
-I feel like the team is about Villager setting up traps and sheik rushing down the opponents and creating pressure.
-Villager can also be sheik's back-up, supporting with slingshots and lloid rockets. This will probably not harm sheik because of sheik being so fast and not having too much laggy moves.
- Also this team has awesome ledge game, there is so much different things you can do, but you and your teammate can experiment what's best.

Good Luck!:4villager:

Last edited:

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
Can report back on how the Villager/Bowser Jr went on in a tournament. We came 5th place (out of 16 teams) so it worked well, but we definitely had things to work out amongst ourselves (there would often be a lot of friendly fire, for instance). Although I ran with exploding balloons only (because the tree was good at sniping unexpected kills, and of friendly fire tripping issues), I feel like the trip sapling would have been more beneficial in some circumstances especially during a double sonic team that we faced and lost, just to mess up their flow (and also because if my teammate died, as they often would,it would be easier for me to regain stage control even against 2).

Also another point, which I failed to note earlier about the Koopa Drift custom, it was good for ploughing through everyone, and had an active hitbox that dragged everyone to one side of the map, which is good for stage control. Friendly fire didn’t hurt too much with it either. Best stage was undoubtedly smashville. We’re still not sure about the others. Overall consensus is good.

Two of our sets were recorded, a winning one and a losing one against the double sonic team. Will post videos here as soon they’re uploaded!

Top Bottom