• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teaching competitive Smash?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
So, I'm creating a competitive gaming club at my high school. This club is about teaching high-level techniques in games like Pokemon, Starcraft, Halo, and, of course, Smash.

On that note, what would be the best way to teach it? I'm thinking of teaching several top-tier characters to everyone at once, on their basics, strategy, and ATs. For instance, I might structure each week's topics like so:

Snake Basics
Snake Tactics
Snake ATs
Falco Basics
Falco Tactics
Falco ATs
Marth Basics
and so on.

Would this be the best way to teach it, or should I do all the basics at once, then allow the other kids to pick their preferred characters and go in depth to all of them as separate groups, if you get what I'm saying? Like, I teach the people who picked Marth separately from those who picked Snake or Falco, then go much more in-depth?

And of course, any other suggestions on how to go about this are welcome.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
teach more then just advanced techs, infact I'd wait on those.

first thing you should teach is that competitive smash players aren't these "evil little basement dwelling fox only final destination guys who do nothing but glitch the game out and call it "skillz" " sooner we get rid of the negative stereotypes around us the better.:awesome:

EDIT: also since this is brawl we're talking about....

IDK...letting everyone pick their favorites first(link is gonna skyrocket to the top for everyone, I can guarantee it.) only for a lot of em to find out how underpowered some of em are....IDK

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I don't think character specific crap is quite as important to teach as pillars of solid play such as DI, mixups, general technical knowledge, and reading. Otherwise they're just going to want to spam ATs because they look cool.

Split groups up when they understand concepts like that and THEN go in-depth on their respective characters.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Okay, thanks for the advice on doing basic techniques first. I'll just let people use their favorites for the earlier stuff like that, then once I get a feel for how they play I'll recommend a higher-tier character and work with them on character-specific stuff.
The splitting-groups thing might be an issue, though, because so far I'm the only person with any real Smash experience, plus I'm one of the Pokemon people. Maybe if someone turns out to be some kind of Smash savant I'll make them a co-advisor, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to take on multiple Smash groups, plus about a third of the Pokemon burden otherwise.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I would, except I'm just better at Brawl. Maybe if I find a dedicated Melee advisor.

Top Bottom