• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt Cancels?

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys make of Bayo's cancelable taunt? Think it will actually play a tactical role in her gameplay (taunt baiting perhaps?) or do you think it will just be for styling on your opponent during witch time combos?

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Styling 100%!

It seems like a real stretch to think anyone would take that bait knowing she can act out of it.
I'm really happy that they added this into her smash incarnation without making it stupid-punishable. Bayonetta's confidence and cheeky personality is part of what makes her such an awesome character, and being able to dance mid-fight is very true to her gameplay. Now if only they included Star of Dineta as an accessory so she could heal when taunting an enemy...

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
HAH, that would certainly be a funny idea. I don't think anyone would take the bait, but I would totally love to see taunts in the middle of combos. It would make matches way better.

Satonakas

Smash Cadet
NNID
itsiantime
3DS FC
1693-3665-7953
I don't think it could work as a tactical thing, because most people would probably wait (I would), and if she could taunt in the middle of combo.... I don't even know how I would react to that :nervous:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yeah, I highly doubt you would be able to taunt mid combo, unless the opponent was in Witch Time. You could probably use taunts for a more tactual purpose, especially in FG, lol.

Douglas Jay Ganon

Smash Apprentice
Because it fits Bayo's style. Even in the original game, taunting your enemy gave a little buff (I don't remember which, maybe a little health recovery). She's always styling their enemy and mocking them ("I've had enough of you!" "It's that all you've got?" "Cheeky") while demolishing them. You know, Bayo is kind of kinky and dominatrix, that's why it fits her personality.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Because it fits Bayo's style. Even in the original game, taunting your enemy gave a little buff (I don't remember which, maybe a little health recovery).
Actually, taunting only gave you a buff (like the health recovery you mentioned) if you were wearing specific accessories. Taunting in the original game actually gave your enemies a buff, because it enraged them, making them do more damage, take more hits, and not flinch when you hit them.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Actually, taunting only gave you a buff (like the health recovery you mentioned) if you were wearing specific accessories. Taunting in the original game actually gave your enemies a buff, because it enraged them, making them do more damage, take more hits, and not flinch when you hit them.
But it also made them more predictable and increased your combo point gains. It's mandatory to get PP in some chapters.
Also taunt offset is a thing.

Last edited:

ZakoAction

Smash Rookie
NNID
TrollKing777
In the actual games you can taunt offset along with gaining back health via Star of Dineta. However I'm unsure what benefit taunt canceling would serve in Smash.

NessNger

Smash Rookie
NNID
Furais
Oh! You could cancel the taunt at any time right? Is it possible to taunt out of a dash, immediately cancel it, then follow it up with any attack? :crazy:
It might work like Cloud's Limit Break cancel!

What do you guys think? If so, it'd make her even more... (Insert witty Bayonetta pun here) Sorry I haven't played her games so I can't come up with something clever... maybe you guys can?

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Oh! You could cancel the taunt at any time right? Is it possible to taunt out of a dash, immediately cancel it, then follow it up with any attack? :crazy:
It might work like Cloud's Limit Break cancel!

What do you guys think? If so, it'd make her even more... (Insert witty Bayonetta pun here) Sorry I haven't played her games so I can't come up with something clever... maybe you guys can?
Things like this are also what I was contemplating. Using taunt to stall movement or possibly even be able to cancel other moves. Would be rad.

Last edited:

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Styling 100%!

It seems like a real stretch to think anyone would take that bait knowing she can act out of it.
I'm really happy that they added this into her smash incarnation without making it stupid-punishable. Bayonetta's confidence and cheeky personality is part of what makes her such an awesome character, and being able to dance mid-fight is very true to her gameplay. Now if only they included Star of Dineta as an accessory so she could heal when taunting an enemy...
You could always use badges

ArcGale

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enderores
I don't think she will be able to cancel the taunt immediately. The User will most likely be locked into the taunt for a set time until you will be able to cancel it.

Endurrr

Smash Cadet
SUDDEN DEATH!

-Land the witch time.
-TAUNT FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR
-run offstage as your opponent is killed by bobombs

blackghost

Smash Champion
What do you guys make of Bayo's cancelable taunt? Think it will actually play a tactical role in her gameplay (taunt baiting perhaps?) or do you think it will just be for styling on your opponent during witch time combos?
in her game you use taunts to pull enemies to blindly attack you and then trigger witch time off them. that's what i plan to use it for plus bayonetta taunting could become as common and accepted as a falcon taunting.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
in her game you use taunts to pull enemies to blindly attack you and then trigger witch time off them. that's what i plan to use it for plus bayonetta taunting could become as common and accepted as a falcon taunting.
This is fine and dandy, but don't get too predictable with it, because people could also just grab you.

blackghost

Smash Champion
This is fine and dandy, but don't get too predictable with it, because people could also just grab you.
over in the witch =time thread it was discussed and if your opponent has a bad dash grab then witch timewhiffing is going to be a hard punish as shes moving during the activation.

Top Bottom