• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I have been a "lurker" around smashboards for a while. I created an account to ask if anyone finds there to be an advantage in using the tap jump feature. Personally I find it causes me to make mistakes especially when approaching the ledge. Thus, I always have it turned off. An accidental jump can lead to a meteor smash by the opponent when approaching the ledge. But does does anyone feel there is an advantage to using tap jump in certain situations instead of a dedicated jump button?

Prawn

Smash Master
I like using it with characters who have multiple jumps, because I can do rising uairs and stuff like that much easier but I also generally turn it off

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Tap jump does have some advantages, such as being able to UpB and Usmash Out of Shield without having the standard lag of shield dropping (you can exit shield by jumping without lag, and cancel the jump into a Usmash and Uspecial).

I don't like tap jump though, so I just remapped L to jump (which also makes moving with aerials easier, since you don't have to move your thumb from X to the C-stick).

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
I keep it on so I can do OoS actions easily. Also JC Upsmash's generally go a bit further than Hyphen Up Smash's. Tap Jump just makes that easier.

Also, its how I do instant Up Airs (C Sticked, Tap Jump on), and I don't want to screw up my Melee play by the transition.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Hurmm. I just typed up a post similar to this yesterday. I don't know whether it is more shameful to copy/paste from my own post, or just link you to the post, but I'm going to do both.
http://smashboards.com/threads/shou...stick-a-for-smash-moves.381096/#post-18113964

Just go with your preference, and whatever is easier for your character.
If tap jump is preventing you from doing utilts and you really want to do an easy utilt, either:
Learn to not slam the stick up as hard, OR:
Turn off tap jump, get used to not tapping up to jump.
Pretty much your two options. I would honestly keep tap jump on if I could, since it makes a lot of advanced techniques easier, but doing them with or without tap jump is manageable either way.

Top Bottom