• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump?

XxavierPKRS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xxavier
Sup Yoshi mains!
What are your thoughts on Tap Jump?

Personally, I find myself accidentally DJCing with it on occasion, so I'm considering turning it off.
Usually I never end up in terrible situations because of it, but I do sometimes miss out on a short-hopped up-air and miss out on KOs because of it.

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
I usually just do djc up-air and have tap jump off so I don't accidentally jump into egg throw. I'm pretty sure there's a way to do shffl up-air with out propelling yourself downward with the button jump but I'm not 100% sure how.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I have always played with Tap Jump on. It would probably help me a lot with other characters as well if I had it off (i.e. utilt) but I haven't SD'd because of it.

XxavierPKRS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xxavier
Yeah I've never SD'd but I sometimes miss out on better moves. No utilt sucks as well.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
I keep tap jump on only because I think it helps me learn better control. I don't have any trouble with up tilt or up air (latter because I claw so c-sticking up airs is easy), the only thing that tap jump can interfere with is egg toss because the window where you can quickly egg toss without tap jumping is very slim. Though I've had success finding a sweetspot when pressing B early.

On Dolphin the analog stick's orientation is represented by x and y values that range from 0 to 255 with 128 as the neutral orientation. Within a single frame you can raise the analog stick from the neutral 128 up to 197 without activating the tap jump, and you can egg toss as low as 182 (any closer to 128 and it's egg lay). With my settings on Dolphin the stick can only go from 18 to 236 so there may be a <255 unit window on console. So the analog stick has a ~6% window to raise the stick enough for an egg toss without jumping. Of course this ignores the fact that you can raise the stick higher as long as you press B on the same frame. I'm not sure exactly what inputs create a tap jump, it's definitely not linear with the number of frames because I can raise the stick to 150 in one frame then to 208 and Yoshi will jump. I may investigate this further.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I've never had any problem with utilts due to tap jump. Never once have I jumped when I meant to utilt. I do however, accidentally jump when trying to trow eggs when offstage, which is a pretty terrible place to have that problem. I've had tap jump on for so long though, I have so many weird habits deeply ingrained into my gameplay. I short hop with buttons, but I always full hop with the stick. I sometimes input double jumps with the stick, and djc is pretty easy to do when you hit the stick and a button almost simultaneously. I've tried to turn tap jump off, but it's impossible for me to do. I never realized how much I unconsciously use it until I tried to turn it off. Really, I just need to practice throwing eggs without double jumping.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I've never had any problem with utilts due to tap jump. Never once have I jumped when I meant to utilt. I do however, accidentally jump when trying to trow eggs when offstage, which is a pretty terrible place to have that problem. I've had tap jump on for so long though, I have so many weird habits deeply ingrained into my gameplay. I short hop with buttons, but I always full hop with the stick. I sometimes input double jumps with the stick, and djc is pretty easy to do when you hit the stick and a button almost simultaneously. I've tried to turn tap jump off, but it's impossible for me to do. I never realized how much I unconsciously use it until I tried to turn it off. Really, I just need to practice throwing eggs without double jumping.
Im exactly the same way. Short hop with X, full hop with stick. Sometimes use DJ with X, sometimes with stick. I tried using Tap Jump off but I just couldn't get myself to fully accept it. I've been using tap jump since Melee launch and I played it until Brawl. Even in Brawl I used Tap Jump. Hard to break something that's muscle memory.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I've been tap jumping since 64 release. Like, for a long time I didn't know you could jump with the c buttons. My brother told me that how he jumped, and I was like "wha?"

It wasn't until I started playing Melee, and tried to get serious, that I started using buttons to jump at all. I actually first started using the button to jump so I could wavedash, because going up and down with the stick fast enough to wavedash was not a practical thing to attempt.

Last edited:

XxavierPKRS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xxavier
Im exactly the same way. Short hop with X, full hop with stick. Sometimes use DJ with X, sometimes with stick. I tried using Tap Jump off but I just couldn't get myself to fully accept it. I've been using tap jump since Melee launch and I played it until Brawl. Even in Brawl I used Tap Jump. Hard to break something that's muscle memory.
That's exactly how I'd been using Tap Jump. Usually if I want to DJC I'll fire X and up so it's faster than double-tapping X. I've been trying to play without Tap Jump as of yesterday. Muscle memory is a terrible thing, because I keep SDing on the ledge when I try to drop and jump back up. However, I feel like I have more control without it, even if I have to consciously remind myself not to use it.

SPIRE_FAN

Smash Cadet
It can especially help to keep it on if you do the double jump cancel fast enough out of shield so he never leaves the ground. With this, you can do any move out of shield (though you still have to do the second jump animation on the ground which is a couple frames).

didds

Smash Lord
I definitely prefer tap jump on. If utilts give you problems then that's just an issue of finesse.

Rising and djc uairs are much easier.

Egg toss can be troublesome at times, but I'll admit that I use the move rarely anyway.

I especially like tap jump for out of shield options, jump with stick, dj with x. I find that I just like having the option to jump with the stick for certain situations.

Oh, and ece's are extremely difficult with tap jump off which makes my recovery mixup options much weaker.

Top Bottom