• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump for Laser Spam?

cPalms

Smash Rookie
It seems like it would be easier to enable jump-tilt for Falco's laser pressure rather than using X(jump) + B + FF. I always end up accidentally shining as I'm trying to fast fall back down. Jump-tilt seems like it would take a 3-step movement into a 2-step movement, but I dunno, maybe my hands just aren't fast enough yet.

Advice?

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
you mean tap to jump? You should generally have it on anyways, IMO. Also how is it removing a step? You're still jumping, lazering, and fastfalling. If tap to jump works for you, more power to you. I'd imagine it makes mobility with lazers pretty difficult though. Reverse SHL suddenly becomes... tap to jump, tap back so your lazer reverses, press B, fastfall. Bleh, too much work for 1 hand, considering you need to be at neutral stick to lazer.

I'd try using Y if X isn't working for you, but your problem seems to be with the fastfall timing rather than jump timing, so don't fix what isn't broken. That being said, do whatever works for you.

cPalms

Smash Rookie
Yes, tap jump. I suppose its not removing a step, but rather changing the assignment of which hand is taking the brunt of the SHFF. Pressing X for short hop, and then almost immediately pressing B for laser (both right hand), then pressing Down on stick to FF (left hand) seems a lot more difficult than Tap-Jump for short hop (left), B (right), and then Down for FF (left). It's more of an alternation between hands and seems like it would take less energy than the former.

I'm still pretty noobish, so I'm just wondering if using Tap-Jump with Falco as a crutch (I do not normally use tap-jump) has any real drawbacks to it. And, correspondingly, does using X or Y for SH have any real long-term benefits?

Thanks.

Vyrulent

Smash Rookie
I would think that if you tap jump with for the lasers you will have issues dashing before the jump to get the move movement out of the jump to follow up the laser with.

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
if you are having issues with shining while going for the short hop laser then your probable doing it wrong

Short hop hit B but wait like .5 seconds and then hit down on your control stick to fastfall I had the same problem before

cPalms

Smash Rookie
if you are having issues with shining while going for the short hop laser then your probable doing it wrong

Short hop hit B but wait like .5 seconds and then hit down on your control stick to fastfall I had the same problem before
Actually, I've almost got it down now. I was doing it wrong. However, I'm still not as fast as I could be, and when I increase my rolls I tend to shine on accident.

Guess I just need practice. Also, turned my tap-jump off.

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
You should update the title to "tap jump for Laser Spam?".

No, it probably won't help at all, and if it does, it IS because your thumb is too slow.
As for "turning tap jump on as a crutch", I see it the other way around. People turn tap jump off as a crutch, initially.

Eventually, when you've played enough, you'll see that control settings have little to no effect on actual gameplay, and are entirely preference (with few exceptions).

Top Bottom