• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap-dashing

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
So I found this thing with Little Mac that's a bit weird. You can dash directly after starting another dash as long as it's before he goes into his low running position, and you can keep doing it, unlike other characters (as far as I know) who can only slow down a bit before dashing again. The cool thing is that because of how quick the dash is and how frequent it is, you get little to no slow down from regular dashing.

At any point, you can perform a f-smash instead of another dash, which makes it a) easier to f-smash from dashing (it's possible with normal dashing, but needs really quick timing) and b) makes for really cool mind games. I guess it's also pretty useful for spacing the f-smash correctly.

I would show a video or something, but it's not really complicated, just smash dash :p

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This is a Fox trot. This has been this way since Melee, all characters can do it.

Last edited:

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Foxtrotting is mostly useful in smash 4 for roll-canceled grabs (start a dash, immediately release the stick, and hit R then grab), as they can increase the dash-grab range of some characters (like Little Mac) substantially. It's also the closest to a Dsmash out of dash that you can get, coincidentally, and, considering that Dsmash is one of Mac's best moves, the value of any extra chance to use it can't be overstated. Likewise, using it with Fsmash is fantastic, as well as Ftilt, for that matter, given how safe it tends to be on shield compared to a straight-up dash attack. Actually, just flat jabbing out of a foxtrot tends to be pretty nice, given how they're potentially apt to only shield what they'd expect to be a dash attack...

Also, while much more difficult in this game than melee, if you can time it right you can 'dash dance', which is basically just repeatedly running back and forth with dash-starts rather than any pivots. Was oft used with quicker characters to kill someone's sense of spacing, which Mac could certainly make use of if not for the sheer impracticality of the input (at least on the 3ds). I mean, that could seriously put your circle pad at risk...

Though, my personal favorite things to do at the moment are pivot Ftilts and foxtrot KO punches... though I don't get enough chances to practice either. :3

Top Bottom