• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taking advantages of patterns

Celerity668

Smash Rookie
Hey Puffs, I was talking with one of my friends about which patterns to take note of when playing your opponent. I noticed while playing is that I'll often poke the enemy with a back air and see what their reaction is, and try to make a read off that pattern. Other times I'll pound or throw an aerial at a dubious range to see if they're more aggressively inclined and try to adjust my play given that information. I think this is an extremely important skill for all Puffs to have.

My questions are:

What other patterns can you look for to optimize your punish game?
What strategies/tactics can you use to take advantage of these patterns? Which of these styles/choices cover the most options?

My list:

1. Tech/Roll direction (Which option do they most prefer in which situations?)
2. Aggression level (When they're hit, how do they respond? Are they often "fishing" for certain setups?)
3. Inclinations near the edge. (Aerial, jump, dash Attack, run-up shield, etc?)
4. Preferred method of approach (dash-dance camping, dash attack, aerial, crouch cancel, spacing?)
5. ???
6. ???

My answers:

1. You can make a hard read into grab/rest on certain techs, but very often they will choose to tech away and I think the best option there is to just take up a good neutral position and try to edge him out of his space. If they miss a tech, doing a short hop above them can cover most rolling options.

2. If they're more aggressive, I'll try to throw out some 'sloppy' moves and bait them into grabs and aerials. Better to take the edge of the stage against these players. If they're more defensive, I'll try to play a more spacing game with random mix-ups of aggression to keep them on their toes.

3. I've found that crouching/waiting a space away from them is better when they're more aggressive. The safer players will usually just jump above you and try to use their superior vertical movement to take back the stage.

4. Dash-dancing is super scary for Puff. They can aerial out of it or wait for you to whiff a move and approach. Pound is great against it if they're really greedy with their dash dance, but it's risky.

Any elaborations or additions are appreciated. I'll formalize this and add more information later, but I want to get your guys thoughts first.

Last edited:

mirror_eclipse

Smash Rookie
I would say that you should also watch their tendencies both when they're above you on a platform and when you're above them on a platform. How do they get down from said platform? Do they tend to spam uair to hit you through the bottom? Can you capitalize on this and weave around their attacks to get an aerial on them?

Also, it's advisable to be careful when capitalizing on patterns and the like; a skilled player may make it appear as though they have a certain behavior/tendency in many situations, then capitalize on your assumption.

Last edited:

Sprankles

Smash Rookie
I really like this post and question, but I'm surprised no one else decided to give any input. I'm going to give it some thought and post once I've come up with answers.

Mizter Ultimaman

Smash Cadet
Recovering/gimping (but Puff usually doesn't have to worry about being edgeguarded in most (but definitely not all) circumstances).

For example, if you're facing a Falco, when they're recovering they're almost guaranteed to sideB. Reading what they're going to do on, say, BF would be reading what height/time they're going to press B to initiate, as well as what time they press B again to shorten (or if they shorten at all). The options Puff has to counter it can be considered (like waiting to Rest on failed edge cancels for the ultimate punish-style, or using the lingering nair for the safer style of play).

Last edited:

Mtank

Smash Cadet
You've got a good list here.
One I may add is patterns in their kill options. Some foxes may be more up-smash fishy, while others will look for the grab for up-throw (which in my opinion is terrible because sding the second hit is becoming more and more common.)
Also maybe ledge options. For Fox the best option is usually invincible ledge dash, but if you notice they're doing this option every time, you can back away and keep them in that corner with bairs.
I also notice patterns in how my opponent reacts to my invincibility after stocks. One common one is they will just to a side platform, and once I approach they wanna jump, so I'll poke with preemptive fairs, which usually tacks on a free 20% or so.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Also take mental notes on how they respond/DI after being hit with certain attacks or whiffed attacks. Always DIs straight up after bair? Confidently continue your WoP with 3 straight reads. A player retreats after each whiffed aerial? Take stage.

Top Bottom