• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Take hit-screw attack on shield pressure?

Pawpaw

Smash Rookie
Used to have an account on here years and years ago, but I don't even remember the email I used for it anymore. But I was curious enough to hear some opinions on this to make a new one! Anyway, I dual main Falco, and I was thinking about how the meta has evolved for characters like Marth and Fox to take the laser hits intentionally and capitalize on any bad laser spacing with Fair (Marth) or Usmash (Fox). Obviously, for samus, one of the default OoS options is Up-B, but without a platform cancel (and often even with one), it usually just resets things to neutral, and sometimes a fast faller will even recover before you do and can put you in another bad situation. Well, another way that I've unintentionally "cancelled" up-B is by trading hits - i.e. your screw attack hits the opponent after your invincibility frames are up and you hit each other. If your damage is low enough, though, this usually ends up putting you back to the ground fast with no landing lag, while your opponent is still in the air because screw attack is a launcher. If you're cognizant of this, you can follow up and maybe even string together a combo. Here's an example where Duck trades with Mango's Falco's dair. He's not totally ready for it, but still responds and even leads it into an edgeguard opportunity. Dair sent Duck down, yes, but I feel like you could get a similar effect by intentionally SDIing down right after you put in the inputs for screw attack. My guess is, depending on the aerial, this would probably work all the way up to 50-60%? Any thoughts on this? I don't get to play much anymore, so if others ttry to implement it more intentionally, let me know how it goes!

Edit: After thinking about it a bit more, it doesn't even seem like this would have to be limited to OoS. Say a fox is approaching with a full-hop nair and you see it coming - instead of shield or if wavedash back won't put you out of range, could you screwattack as a sort of counter? Doing this on reaction is probably above my skill level anymore, but just thinking in theory it could be a good option.

Last edited:

SSBM_Jens

Smash Rookie
Not letting this post go unnoticed! I like this idea, gonna hit the lab, I like the idea a lot. This, combined with crouch canceling, can really make the opponent have to consider how to approach. Have you done any more testing on this? Does it consistently trade with, for example, Falco's dair?

Top Bottom