• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tag In Mode Anybody?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I just had an idea. You know how in the Subspace Emissary, if you die the next character you have in your line up gets switched in. Well basically this mode would play like that but in a verses mode setting.

You would choose a certain number of characters and the order to play as them against your opponents line up. These characters would be displayed as stocks basically and the person who defeats all of his opponents line up wins. This could even be applied to 4-player mode.

Another idea I had was to be able to have a different version of team brawl. This mode would only work if you had 2 controllers or online. Basically, you would share a character with another player. Once you die and re-spawn your team member would take control of the character. You wouldn't switch controllers, it would do it automatically.

Lastly, you could combine these two ideas to make to where you and a friend both share stock and alternate being in the brawl but you wouldn't share the same character. When his character dies( for example Sonic), that stock will be removed and your partners character( for example Pit) would be the one to spawn instead of Sonic.

Thoughts? Ideas? Feedback?:)

jigglover

Smash Lord
Now I'm disappointed if it's not in. I mean, Sakurai has shown that they can do it, he likes cramming, so make a space for this mode!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I support this idea, actually. there are fighting games that do this already so why not Smash? you'd select a character per stock, in the order you wanted to play with them and as you kept losing stocks, your character would change. yes, this is a good idea.

for time, coin battles or stock battles with a large number of lives, say more than 6, perhaps, this would work on a loop, what do you think?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I had a idea that involved rotating between three characters in a match with one being active and the others being reserved. You would press a button like the R button to rotate clock wise to the next character. Each character has an individual percentage and the match is over once all three characters are knocked out.

In a nutshell, think of Rotational Battles in Pokemon Black/White but with Super Smash Bros. instead.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I had a idea that involved rotating between three characters in a match with one being active and the others being reserved. You would press a button like the R button to rotate clock wise to the next character. Each character has an individual percentage and the match is over once all three characters are knocked out.

In a nutshell, think of Rotational Battles in Pokemon Black/White but with Super Smash Bros. instead.
This could be a more efficient means of rotating Pokemon out with Pokemon Trainer, just so long as the transitions are no longer than the time it takes to switch out characters in Marvel or Skullgirls.

jigglover

Smash Lord
You know what would be good as well? If you could save and name teams for this, and maybe have some pre-rendered ones, like the speedsters (meta knight, Pikachu) or the heavys ( Bowser, DK). It would be nice! ;D

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Came up with this idea in my own topic:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325485

Since this topic is here, though, I'll add potential abuses for the programmers to worry about:
*Excessive switch incentive - this means recovery and matchup abuse. There's enough incentive to switch by keeping weakened characters in reserve anyway.
*Switch spammage - if possible to do too frequently, switching can create effective invincibility.
*Switch position abuse - oh, you have my Link severely cornered off-stage? Kirby (or Meta Knight probably in your position) says hi. That's actually the most blatant example.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
This is a great idea. Im actualy hoping it happens now

I also have an idea. Sometimes your at a casual party with people playing games. Guitar Hero/DJ Hero is great for parties because of it's party play feature, where you just pick up the instrument controller you would like to play and hop right into a song while it's playing with your friends. Party play picked random venues and random songs to play, it was all so simple.

Now imagine a party play with Super Smash Bros! When you select party play, it loads any map you have unlocked instantly, but no one appears on stage. If there are certain stages you don't like, you can remove them from the party play random selection, just like choosing random normally. Same with party play items. Anyone can pick up a controller if they want to play. Just press A, and a small character selection box appears where the damage meter would be for that player's controller number. You can scroll left or right through the whole roster and select a character. You appear on screen and your ready to fight! No time limits and no stocks, just instant action. If you die, your slot disappears. You can keep rejoining as long as you want, and even change characters each time if you wish. If you get tired of the map your on, simply press pause. The action wont stop while you paused, but 3 button options will appear.
-1st will be the standard multi-button imput to quit the match and return to the main menu.
2nd will be the A button. Press this and a new map will be randomly loaded. The slots will all be empty and characters will need to be reselected.
-3rd will be the B button. Press this to cancel the pause menu and return to the party play.
When your done playing, you can pass the controller on, and enjoy the rest of the party.

:phone:

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Seems redundant to me, we already have a two player mode so what's the appeal of having to switch out? I guess it could be used to handle crews.

:phone:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Would be neat and spice things up. It'd also encourage having multiple mains and not just a single one.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Came up with this idea in my own topic:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325485

Since this topic is here, though, I'll add potential abuses for the programmers to worry about:
*Excessive switch incentive - this means recovery and matchup abuse. There's enough incentive to switch by keeping weakened characters in reserve anyway.
*Switch spammage - if possible to do too frequently, switching can create effective invincibility.
*Switch position abuse - oh, you have my Link severely cornered off-stage? Kirby (or Meta Knight probably in your position) says hi. That's actually the most blatant example.
Yeah personally i have problems with the whole being able to switch out manually because of these reasons as well as the whole Smash ball/item concept. If you switched out would it switch to the next character cause if so that would be super cheap to be able to choose which final smash you want to use by switching characters. This is why I think it should just be limited to when you are KO'd.

@Frostwraith Glad to hear your support and yes I think that would work perfectly.

@Jigglover I could see problems with preset teams due to the fact that the teams would need to be the same number. What if instead of playing 3x3 you're playing 4x4 or 5x5? You wouldn't be able to play as those teams. But a DEFINITE YES to being able to save teams.

Also another idea:
Instead of picking the order of your line up appearing maybe you could also choose to have them randomly switch when you get KO'd.
Ex. Line up Sonic, Pit, Link, R.O.B & Wario

You start off as Sonic and when you're KO'd your next character could either be Pit, Link, R.O.B or Wario at random.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I at least like the idea of each stock being a different character. I wouldn't mind a tag-team but swapping per stock would be good too. I also like the idea of picking all of your characters and it chooses the order at random.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Even assuming Final Smashes were legit, I doubt you'd be able to just switch characters to choose which character's FS to use. If say Ike is the one who hit the Smash Ball last, it shouldn't be rewarded with anybody's FS but his.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This could be a more efficient means of rotating Pokemon out with Pokemon Trainer, just so long as the transitions are no longer than the time it takes to switch out characters in Marvel or Skullgirls.
It is definitely better than the current PT switch move (although I think it's fine, if the pre-lag and post-lag is cut in at least half).

However, I think this idea is better suited as a game mode, like how it works Marvel vs. Capcom. It would definitely make for a brand new way of playing smash, and a brand new take on smash bros. If SMash WiiU and/or Smash 3DS have 6 players (where we can do 3 vs. 3 or 2 vs. 2 vs. 2 versions of this), this mode could be straight up INSANELY AWESOME!

Maybe another solution would be every player gets 2-3 characters and could switch (with say a taunt button). That would also work. Regardless, this fast paced "switch" gameplay is part of what makes Marvel vs. Capcom so enjoyable. Seeing that well-executed into Smash Bros. would make disbelievers and haters into fans of it! :)

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
As a bonus, I'd like an MvC mechanic in which the "resting" character slowly recovers damage. Balance it with some simple rules (one switch for every 50 damage done, must be standing on the ground, half second start up, etc).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm not sure if there's a lot more to say than we all like it, and it sure beats the heck out of coin mode and bonus mode! :laugh:

@ Sleek
I agree there should be a resting mechanic (like in MvC)... as an option. To put it simply, I am an options addict. I love having a zillion options.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yeah this could work out really well. it's a nice addition to the modes currently in Smash if it is done correctly

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see the pros and cons of the "resting" provided so that I can figure out how to provide my 2 cents.

peeup

Smash Lord
I'd love to see MvC type switching where you can use teammates as part of combos, or to throw in some special moves ever now and then.

grizby2

Smash Lord
characters being switched upon death is a cool idea, but if you could cancel out of a move by switching out on demand, that might cause some problems such as inescapables. so how could we balance manual character swaps?

~~~a 10 second cooldown between manual character switching?
~~~perhaps around 10 frames of invincabillity + no action for the incoming character? (no pokeball-esque punishment time, and no instant attacking upon switch)
~~~can only do it on the ground?

what would we be looking at as far as mechanics go?

grizby2

Smash Lord
^^^

i think that depends on weather or not they take PT's "fatigue" mechanic out of the game. :)

which reminds me, some characters are already 2-in-1 characters. if i had zelda, PT, and samus... why.. i could have 7 characters to play as in one match! :troll:

I'd like to see the pros and cons of the "resting" provided so that I can figure out how to provide my 2 cents.
hmm.

would all characters have the same resting rate? 'cause heavier characters would definately have the advantage there. how fast would resting characters recover %?

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I think that a lot of these problems could be solved by not being able to switch.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'm thinking having more of a soft limit on switching, like building up a switch "stock" after doing so much damage (max 5), or limiting it to once every 30 seconds. No-switch team matches (KoF 98) would also be fun, but I'd like the option for both.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is a great idea and I'm surprised this topic isn't more active.

My idea is similar to Habanero. It would be called "Squad Smash." You would have three characters and they would rotate after you died. There could also be an extra switch mechanic, but it would have a cool down on it. You'd be invincible and then you couldn't switch for a while. Maybe like 10-20 seconds. You'd keep the same damage though.

Top Bottom