• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tactics with certain charachters.

tomtom0919

Smash Cadet
Ive noticed than certain charachters have advantages against others. I'm trying to find a good charachter to use, and I need to know which ones have certain advantages.

Example: Kirby has an effective down b attack that can be used to get smash someone when they are kicking you off the map while your in the air.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
er... now kirby's down B isn't exactly his best attack, its used rarely if at all during matchplay. The problem with the move is someone can easily dodge it by rolling or dashing out of the way and can grab you when in brick form.

Obvious character advantages are quick characters vs. slow characters (of course when you start playing pros they tend not to matter as much, in isai's case, it doesn't matter at all). Or characters with a good recover vs crappy recover. If your pika and you can throw link of the stage, u have a greater ability to be aggressive and get him before he returns, but link has to be more cautious and can't jump of the edge to catch a recovering pika as well.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Boards are being slow.
Anyways, I had a big poast in an actual sentence, but I basically made a triangle of stuff.
Floaties > Falcon > Fox > Floaties
And then...Pika and Kirby edgeguard.
Link = amazing, except his recovery is beyond even subpar.
Samus = no combos
Therefore, play Fox.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well, you said you were looking for a main. So I suggested one.
If you use Samus, umm. Abuse Bair.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
for Kirby:Dair and Utilt alot.

for Fox:Dtilt+dair is pretty effective for combos.

for Luigi:Dair+Super Jump punch is really affective if it is sweet spotted.

For Pikachu:Abuse Grabs and tilts.

Hope these can help.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Ugg, DI ***** Dair to up-b for Luigi. My friend even DI's out of drill combos for Fox...
Then again, I could probably do that on a controller...
...I think I break controllers this way.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
basicly what wenbobular said. be fox, except you might want a second character youre decent with if your getting owned as fox. my choice? Falcon.

metaknight007

Smash Cadet
when im samus or link vsing fox once you knock them off the stage it is almost impossible for them to get in if you can time the throw properly or ... if youre samus spike em or link bomb them

hambread

Smash Apprentice
suicide in btt and bpt. saves you the 2 extra minutes you cant seem to get rid of. also dont give poo about points. wtf just throw them off and keep them off.

RedSeraph

Smash Rookie
So, this is a little off-topic, but for some reason "new post" to make a new thread is crashing on me, yet I can reply to other posts...?

Anyway, I've been lurking here for a week now, and watching videos of Smash64 on YouTube and I would say that I am probably qualified to play some of these better players, even Isai. Isai looks like the kinda guy that if him and me played, we'd go best out of five and he'd win 3 of 5. I hate emulators, but I'm considering trying this Smash64 online thing you guys mention just so I'm not talking out my butt without any credibility in your eyes.:laugh:

But something I see a sore need for is that no one gives Donkey Kong any credit here in Smash64. The search function wasn't working for me either for some reason, I searched "donkey kong 64" and got like 300 threads not a single one hardly having a mention in it of him... besides "he sucks", but come on. Fact is, I'm really **** good with him, though I'll admit he is my secondary to Fox or Ness. But I wanna see a new thread dedicated to debating DK's strengths and weaknesses, because EVERY tier I looked at he was put on the bottom, and personally I feel that it's just none of you guys know how to use him.

-The throw speaks for itself, the reach is insane, and the back throw throws really far and is really fast to pull off. The forward throw and carrying around is fun, more of a novelty, I really only do it to tease someone or if it's 1v1, it does do more damage than the back throw to give them the backbreaker then the throw.
-He has reach on a lot of levels, particularly his smash, but also his down smash is a great clearing move with good reach, good crowd control tactic
-His up smash is amazing too for reach, and when timed right, it's perfect for smacking a cocky downthrusting Link or really anything but Kirby's rock drop. You can intercept pretty much anything with that.
-The wind up punch is as useful as Samus' full charge plasma, one of those powerful moves that you just store and bust it out when someone least expects it or can't do anything about it (like ledge guarding, omg) and it has a really wide hit box, you can punch a little below his feet level and definitely about another whole DK's head height higher than him. Again, novelty item, but great in the arsenal.
-His fAir A is incredible for spiking people down into pits, and that's my bread and butter for kills with him, really. His dAir is all but useless, but if you really master the timing of the fAir, you can essentially use it in place of the dAir in most situations and it's the better candidate. Furthermore you can really use it to start small combos not unlike Samus' or Ness' dAir starter combos to bounce someone off the floor and then continue doing so until they get high enough to start juggling upward
-Raw power. Heck.
-The down B ground slam is allll right, it has its uses, particularly since it actually affects ground right above his head, such as affecting the lower platforms in Dreamland from the ground level, or in Mario's stage you can affect the level above you on the right, from the ground or from 1st level. It just leaves you too lagged afterwards, so it's really to be used sparingly, but when done right, it's great crowd control and can be sneaky when used from below.
-His horizontal air movement is easily as good as Samus' or dare I say Jigglypuff, because his horizontal jumps are pretty long, and his 3rd jump spinning punch is ridiculously long. Sure it's sorta predictable, but if you're a smart player and you have good jump control and you're sneaky, there are ways around and to fake pretty much anyone out into not getting yourself spiked or out-ledge-guarded. Generally when someone's ledge guarding, I can use the 3rd jump to basically hover where I am while the ledge-guarder tries to smash me or come off the ledge to spike me, and there's always a way around them back onto the ledge, including punishing them in their lag if they swing and miss from the ledge.

I really think the reason everyone hates him here is generally he is slow. But much like Zangief in Street Fighter (who granted in his world is not top tier either, but he can be devastating in the hands of the right player just the same), the trick to playing either of these characters is that no, they aren't mobile, but the have quick drawing attacks, and they control their own space very well. So no, he's not a chase-and-combo monster like Fox, but with patience and calculation, and just keeping a good rhythm, you can really control your opponent and put them away in a minute or less, usually killing at about 75%.

Discuss, or open a new thread please (since for some reason this forum hates me and isn't letting me do that).

Seraph out.

RedSeraph

Smash Rookie
oh, forgot: DK's endurance is ridiculous too. He's a heavy character, so he needs to be damaged typically 20-30% more than other characters before he's easy to kill, and I go most rounds staying in until the 200's on every stock.

I guess I'll also add that sure, I haven't played online, but I've got a small pack of really dedicated Smash players in town, so I have been playing humans all this time - good humans, probly level 4 part 2 as described in that one thread - not some pesky 3 computers on lv 9.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
So, this is a little off-topic, but for some reason "new post" to make a new thread is crashing on me, yet I can reply to other posts...?

Anyway, I've been lurking here for a week now, and watching videos of Smash64 on YouTube and I would say that I am probably qualified to play some of these better players, even Isai. Isai looks like the kinda guy that if him and me played, we'd go best out of five and he'd win 3 of 5. I hate emulators, but I'm considering trying this Smash64 online thing you guys mention just so I'm not talking out my butt without any credibility in your eyes.:laugh:
Few people "walk out of the muck" and find themselves beating Isai twice out of five times. I wish you luck but you will be unpleasantly surprised.

But something I see a sore need for is that no one gives Donkey Kong any credit here in Smash64. The search function wasn't working for me either for some reason, I searched "donkey kong 64" and got like 300 threads not a single one hardly having a mention in it of him... besides "he sucks", but come on. Fact is, I'm really **** good with him, though I'll admit he is my secondary to Fox or Ness. But I wanna see a new thread dedicated to debating DK's strengths and weaknesses, because EVERY tier I looked at he was put on the bottom, and personally I feel that it's just none of you guys know how to use him.
People do not discredit DK as much as you'd believe. His qualities do not define his tier, but the lack of combos outside of throwing that are... practical. His horizontal recovery is great, sure, but his vertical recovery?

-The throw speaks for itself, the reach is insane, and the back throw throws really far and is really fast to pull off. The forward throw and carrying around is fun, more of a novelty, I really only do it to tease someone or if it's 1v1, it does do more damage than the back throw to give them the backbreaker then the throw.
Its not a novelty. Forward throw + charged-B is a common combo.

-His up smash is amazing too for reach, and when timed right, it's perfect for smacking a cocky downthrusting Link or really anything but Kirby's rock drop. You can intercept pretty much anything with that.
DK's upsmash is an unrealistic goal. There are simply more effective attacks to choose for a combo setup. It is too slow, its hitbox is too small, it has an unreasonable amount of lag. Also, its called Link's "dair" :)

-The wind up punch is as useful as Samus' full charge plasma, one of those powerful moves that you just store and bust it out when someone least expects it or can't do anything about it (like ledge guarding, omg) and it has a really wide hit box, you can punch a little below his feet level and definitely about another whole DK's head height higher than him. Again, novelty item, but great in the arsenal.
Certainly not a novelty.

I think your main problem here is you are trying to dispel our ignorances on a given character, but so far you haven't told us anything we don't already know, or you're just basically wrong.

I suggest you download Project64k, get the emulator and rom setup correctly, go online, and play a few people. If you truly insist on playing Isai/Malva, then get Okaygo's newer Mupen64k (Malva prefers Mupen over PJ64k). However, I think you'll find very difficult competition before you get to that point.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman

Seraph out.
Hahahahahahaha....hahahhahaha. *Catches breath*
Let me start off by saying NO WAY. I pwn all my friends at smash 1v1, and I too started watching these isai vids. Now unlike you, I was (and still am) very impressed with him, and never though I could beat him. I did think that I would do very well on Kaillera, and although I am pretty good on there, I still run into a few people that absolutely wipe the floor with me (DarkFox, DaPuffster). Get the emulator, buy a PS2 N64 usb port adapter (i use a N64 controller, but u can also use PS2) and prepare to get beaten severely by more than just a couple people.

Now as far as DK goes, he is a good character, especially in teams or ffa (camp underneath death castle, and punish those in grabbing range). As far as 1v1 goes, you can do well with him, but against a very good player, they will punish his slowness and once you are off the edge, they will kill you, and they will also stay out of your grabs. THATS the biggest thing that surprised me with online play is the fact that shield grabbing is hard to pull off against leet players, because they z-cancel and either grab you or hit u when u go to shield grab them. Im not trying to be a jerk with this post, but I was once in a similar position to you, and I quickly learned that pwning my friends, and pwning online players are 2 VERY different things. Also, saying that about Isai is blasphemy, if you beat him 2 out of 5 matches, I would gladly eat the controller that you played with.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
The problem with such self-professed pros is that they spew all this garbage before they even tread the waters of online play. Until you have faced some of the ppl who peruse these forums and you have soundly beaten then, then you have permission to begin to think that you might have the slightest possibilty of even LANDING A HIT ON ISAI. so until that day, please go away. this has been a public service announcement for all noobs.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
My first time playing Isai, I landed a mighty 46% using my Luigi on his Link...I'm so impressed with myself.

Top Bottom