• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching controllers during a team's match

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was wondering, would it be "illegal" to switch controllers during a match?
Example : I'm playing with another Fox player against a marth/sheik team.

I lose my 4 stocks, and the other Fox player is at 0%, last stock.

Could I take his controller? I mean, we ARE a team so I don't see why there would be a problem with that. It could add some strategies to some teams as in one could be the offensive player, and the other could be the stock holder. Just throwing this out there...

Lunytunes4.4

Smash Journeyman
i dont think its illegeal but i think it would be u know rude like lets say its his controller and you just take that s*** away from him and u know he wants to play and stuff that will be like taking away his fun of playing the game its not all about money in the M.L.G's its about fun too

squaminator

Smash Ace
it can be fun. it can also be funny. I think somebody who takes all of KDJ's stock and is left playing marcus, then KDJ switches with marcus would have a helluva laugh after that, no matter the result. just no pausing.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
What about if the other person doesn't play my character, but is still better than me? Or switches from Zelda to Sheik? For example, if the team was my Zelda and KDJ's Fox, and the other team kills off KDJ but I have a stock left, so I pass it off to him and he changes to Sheik...

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I think that's just as unfair as letting someone else take over for you in a singles tourney or a crew battle >.>

I don't think you should be able to take over for any player, whether it's teams or singles.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
****ing browser crashing when I make a reply.

What about if the other person doesn't play my character, but is still better than me? Or switches from Zelda to Sheik? For example, if the team was my Zelda and KDJ's Fox, and the other team kills off KDJ but I have a stock left, so I pass it off to him and he changes to Sheik...
That situation would be very appropriate. Since you can play Zelda or Sheik (except in crew battles, which I find stupid), you could give your controller to your partner if it's his last stock, or even before.
I think that's just as unfair as letting someone else take over for you in a singles tourney or a crew battle >.>

I don't think you should be able to take over for any player, whether it's teams or singles.
Mentioning a take over in singles or crews is just... absurd:ohwell:. I don't see how it's unfair in a team battle, since you are sharing stocks anyway, and you are playing together. I wouldn't even consider it a take over. You should be able to use all the weapons at your disposition as long as you don't disrupt the flow of the match (touching in real life the other team in a way that'll cause them to mess up, pausing, stalling).

If you are Falco teaming with a Sheik, and you fsmash a Fox off the stage, you should have the right to switch controllers, tell the Falco to cover you and edgeguard as Sheik.

If you are at your last stock 0% and your partner is at his last stock, 110%, if it's beneficial to the team you should have the right to switch.

EDIT: I remembered another part of my original post. This tactic would expand the domain of omega by improving the number of possibilities, pre-game and in-game tactics. (k I'm still missing something, but whatever).

Dice

Smash Lord
I honestly don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. This is a TEAM event, you don't win it as an individual, you win it as a team. As long as the game isn't paused or it doesn't disrupt the other team, it seems fine to me and quite the interesting strategy.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
I always thought there was an unwritten rule against this. And even if there isn't, it certainly wouldn't be a popular decision if you did do it. I've never heard of it being formally banned, but I've never seen it done in a tournament.

Ares726

Smash Ace
I think it's genius. I think it would work really well with ditto teams (Double ______), the Zelda/Sheik option already mentioned, or someone you're just really good with. I've thought about this before, but I've never really gotten a chance to use it. It's an awesome idea in my opinion. Kudos for forward thinking.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I was playing in a teams match. I was Fox, facing two opponents on my own. I successfully killed the better player on the other team. They paused it and switched controllers. It was me vs. Doc and he pulled that back-air instant-kill doc bullsh**.

I was so pist

Top Bottom