• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swinging a lot as Marth?

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
I have this bad habit of throwing out a lot of aerials in neutral. My thought process is that I want to take a lot of stage with hitboxes to set up reads that lead to huge punishes, which in turn lets me take stocks. Even though I know people can whiff punish Marth, I tell myself that conditioning them is a good tradeoff because generally people have to play further back or attack earlier against a Marth that throws out a lot of aerials. In a way, all those hitboxes forces opponents to second-guess their offense and lets Marth set up baits while taking more and more stage.

But what I've found is that against people who switch 50/50 between playing back and going in, sure I can get a bunch of hits from wall-of-paining but they don't lead to huge followups. It's like I'm just swatting them away for 12%. But when my opponent baits me into swinging, it's a specific read and they do get bigger followups for that. And it gets tougher and tougher against players who don't give a lot of their habits or choices away. When I look at replay stats, it supports this because I don't get huge confirms for landing non-tipper fair, etc.

I think it comes down to stage control. When I'm swinging, it makes me feel more in control of the stage because I'm like, "Ok, my opponent can't do this, they can't do that...". Threatening stage with movement and down-tilt seem like a must, but it feels like an entire playstyle to embrace. Is there anything that can help me get familiar with playing a more efficient poke and bait game? Whenever I down-tilt I get hit by an aerial and then just get discouraged from down-tilting lol.

quixotic

Smash Apprentice
Hi Lethal.

It's hard to convert aerials into openings: you can't confirm cc vs hit on reaction, so getting grabs is not free. You do get a favorable mixup after though, and I recommend studying zain videos for those situations.

You should try mixing up empty landing, and different drifts when you jump.

Also if they wait out your jump you're in a losing mixup. One way to deal with this is to use jump when your opponent can't do anything (for example sheik jumped first or used ftilt).

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
hello lethal

throwing out aerials is okay in place. don't throw out approaching aerials tho.

keep going with your thinking process!

F1SHER

scrub
Slippi.gg
FSHR#913
if your want to dtilt more then grind movement and dtilts I don't see the problem

Top Bottom