• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sweetspotting non-rising grapple on Battlefield?

Lock

Smash Apprentice
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had a tip or two about how to consistently sweetspot with the non-rising grapple on Battlefield. After a lot of practice, I don't even think I know where exactly to aim for. A lot of times post-grapple attachment I'm almost certain I succeeded in the sweetspot, but in fact it's missed. I know a diagram with the ledge-grabboxes is floating around somewhere, but a SWF search hasn't found it for me.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
I usually aim for the top corner of the ledge on Battlefield.

Litt

Samus
yeah dude you just have to feel it, I fast fall into the sweet spot zairs nearly every time now, just more of knowing the timing than the right spot to hit anyway, you will know better than your opponent if you even did get the sweet spot anyway.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Does anyone actually have any real, concrete information about this anywhere? I've been researching this in Dolphin for an hour now and it's just getting more and more complicated.

As far as I can tell, there is not one, specific spot on Battlefield's ledge that you can land your tether and be sure of a sweetspot. This is unlike all the other neutral stages. On BF, there are multiple different possible spots which all have different reel-in timings to force a sweetspot, which I suspect has something to do with Samus warping under the lip for a frame or two.

So again, does anyone have any concrete data on this?

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I used to think grappling the very top lip of the stage would guarantee a sweetspot, but yesterday I did that and the grapple broke :/??

I'm not sure anyone has done really comprehensive / well-documented tests, though...

Litt

Samus
Yes there are definite spots on bf ledge that you can sweet spot no problem... I can fast fall and still grapple the stage in the ff, with the camera angle off of me... you just need to get the feeling of were samus is relative to the stage and let your reaction and timing do the rest, if you try and over think it, you will miss every time. Its just like shooting a real gun, just have to take aim and trust your gut.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
edit: lol double post my bad

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
"Instinct" and "experience" are great and all, though I'd also like to see actual data :(

Litt

Samus
"Instinct" and "experience" are great and all, though I'd also like to see actual data :(
go into debug menu, take off the skin to the stage and experiment for yourself...

Litt

Samus
So no, you don't have any data or information?
Hmm if there was any data or info out there... I may have included it, did you check the attachment on my first post? Oh it wasn't there you say :/ cmon bud, if that info was out there he wouldnt be asking for it, and I would have been able to give it to him because ive looked over everything on the boards. Its just something you need to experiment with yourself because no one is gonna put the time and figure out the frame data for grapple characters on battlefield, just like learning to shield drop, feeling it out with your control stick, do the same with your falling speed and practice hitting your target 10/10 times

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
If anyone else finds anything on this, or would be willing to run concurrent tests with me to verify the data that I'm finding on this, hit me up.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
If anyone else finds anything on this, or would be willing to run concurrent tests with me to verify the data that I'm finding on this, hit me up.
Again... I have told you the info isnt out there, just practice and get a feel for it instead of wasting time and data for a tech that just requires practice, timing and good hand eye coordination :/

GoomySmash

Smash Apprentice
Personally what I've found is that if you airdodge up and then grapple it's harder to sweetspot than if you airdodge down and sweetspot. This may be just be a weird oogabooga myth I've put into my head, but for some reason I swear it's easier to sweetspot if your airdodge momentum is going a certain direction.

Litt

Samus
Personally what I've found is that if you airdodge up and then grapple it's harder to sweetspot than if you airdodge down and sweetspot. This may be just be a weird oogabooga myth I've put into my head, but for some reason I swear it's easier to sweetspot if your airdodge momentum is going a certain direction.
Thank you for that insightful comment... *Face palm* dude, its all in your head, just practice a **** ton and any way you can think of you can sweet spot the stage, you just havent practiced enough airdodging up into grapple... also I have found the exact opposite to be true... because its a horrible option in most situations to airdodge down... first you are at a spot where you are above the stage to get hit, and its very telegraphed and you are open to attack at the point of releasing your grapple to the point where you reel it in to grap ledge.

Top Bottom