• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swallow combos work pretty well.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
I was playing this really good olimar online, and I found a good technique for racking up a good 30 or 40% if you can do it right.

Basically, Swallow them if they to close in, and then its random about what they do, but a good amount of aggressive guys will try to dair you so judging by that, the best bet would be...

Swallow==>spit==>short hop==>uair

Usually this will get 30-40 on said guy, which is a godsend since most of us are defensive.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Yeah, I was training against a Meta Knight lvl 9, and he kept jumping me. I then remembered I could swallow him. Basically, use it on overly aggressive people, and it's simply amazing. Sometimes it's really tricky to follow up though.

Funny, because I was gonna come on and post something about swallowing and combos, but you beat me to it. XD

strike42

Smash Journeyman
the combo that i like to do is

suck to spit to fair.

it works most of the time

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Look out! A double post!
Yeah, that's been happening to me a little the past few minutes, it didn't load, right?

Anyway, spit -> fair is pretty good, that's actually my preferred method of swallow combo. It all depends on what your opponent does. You could probably follow up with a utilt or ftilt if they decide to come back to the ground quickly. Or maybe start charging your Jet Hammer.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Swallow doesn't exist.

However I find Inhale very useful in these situations.

~Strong Bad

Niblet

Smash Cadet
I definitely think inhale is underrated. It annoys the heck out of my friend when he tries to near me.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Swallow is VERY underrated. Swallow -> bair is very effective and works at all percents. (yes, I know its possible to get out of this, it's brawl, combos dont exist)

Waddle

Smash Ace
If your opponent is smart, they wont get hit after the Inhale. As long as they DI they wont get hit by anything, or better yet, if they air dodge you miss horribly.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent is smart, they wont get hit after the Inhale. As long as they DI they wont get hit by anything, or better yet, if they air dodge you miss horribly.
Brining up the possibility of perfect dodging is a worst-case scenario for a Dedede player, but that kind of perfection in evasion is extremely rare and limited to talented players only. Chances are most of the Dededes here haven't played established professionals, so these kind of situations and bringing this sort of thing up is really... out of the question.

It's like going to a Fox combo thread and saying that most of the combos wouldn't work because an opponent with good DI and dodging abilities would mean no hits would connect. In fact, this is exactly what you did, but on a Dedede thread.

We all understand that certain godlike players exist, *cough*M2K, Ken, Silent Wolf, Eggz, etc.*cough*. But chances are, most new players like the ones on these boards won't be fighting Brawl geniuses, yet.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Um...when discussing combos and tactics for any competitive fighting game, you ALWAYS assume the opponent has a skill level of over 9000. Strategies that rely on an opponent being a mediocre player are next to worthless. :(

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Thats what im assuming ness, this guy was not a crappy player, and was great, you just need to guess how they will react when they come out.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
So it's basically like an aerial tech chase then.

Something else worth considering: how about falling Nair to swallow at low %? Swallow is a long-ranged grab that can be held. I'd imagine it'd be a good follow up from a lagless aerial.

Also: spitting out the opponent pops them into the air above Dedede and they usually end up going towards him, right? How about Swallow to up B? If they try to attack right away, they'll hit the super armor and be vulnerable as you come down.

I'm sure you could also spit out the opponent, then start charging the jet hammer for some mind games.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Depending on if they DI towards you or not, you could......suck them up again! It's quite underrated, and I never used it until recently, but I'm not forgetting about it again.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
It's illogical to even attempt a swallow combo against anyone with any smash experience at all...theyre SUPER easy to counter

i disagree, thats where learning to read peopls DI comes in. do that and then determine what attack you will use, chances are they will di away if they aretowards the middle of the stage and towards if they are at the edge of the stage!

Top Bottom