• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Survey* How useful is For Glory for training?

AccursedWalrus

Smash Rookie
Hello!

I think many of us have a lot of problems with For Glory, particularly the input lag. As part of a project I'm conducting, I'm gathering data on exactly how much lag For Glory adds and how that might affect training for tournament play. I might also try to gather data on some other things, such as how much people roll, use disrespectful tags, and so on; if enough people are interested I'll certainly try to do that as well.

I'm also interested in conducting a survey on how people feel For Glory might positively or negatively affect their tournament play. If you've played For Glory at least once, I would appreciate it if you could complete the survey at the following link: http://goo.gl/forms/KdO12lnbnh.

Thanks for your time!

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
pretty terrible. you are stuck with final destination stages, and rarely get opponents around your skill level, not to mention projectile spam and lag

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Not at all.
I voted in literally every single bad thing in the survey with the biggest extreme.
I could just say the input lag and the bad players automatically make it a bad choice to practicing for tournaments and leave it at that, because it is true.
For Glory is such a ridiculously amateur attempt at a competitive online gamemode, it's embarassing. There's no reason to use it when Anther's Ladder is a thing.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Depends on what exactly it is you're looking for. For Glory won't replace training with an actual player in your living room who is at your skill level or higher.

But if you're looking for general matchup knowledge, For Glory can help. With little lag, you can learn a lot about what works on who using certain characters.

All I've personally used to get better is For Glory because I don't know many people who live close by who own smash and those who do aren't very good.
And it's worked. I've gotten better as the year went by.

But like I said, you'll definitely hit a cap eventually.
For Glory helps, but just like push ups help build muscle.
If you want results worth bragging about, go to a gym.

It's definitely the worst of the many ways to train in terms of results. It's more fun than going to Training Mode and more convenient than Anther's Ladder.

But still, I wouldn't say it's completely ineffective.
It shouldn't be relied on heavily cuz the lag won't be there when you're at an actual tournament, but matchup knowledge learned on For Glory can carry over. Granted, you deal with players who do things an actually good player would never do.
But in my experience going to local tournaments, yeah, it can be a bit of a shock, but I usually do better than I would if For Glory was completely useless.

Last edited:

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
Like Pollo said, I like to use For Glory for matchups knowledge. There's way too much input lag and bad approach options from players to make it viable for learning anything.

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
Well, I'll be the weird one here. I think that it's honestly fine for most players. The ease of accessing a match and the overall skill level is at a nice place to keep confidence and motivation high. There will always be laggy matches and annoying people, but that's basically the same as any online game. It's a tool, and what you get out of it is what you put towards it. I could go play Luigi and use only specials and maintain a decent winrate, or I could work on my punishes, reads, and approaches in a way that's fairly low pressure with someone who'll react to what I'm doing without setting it up in training mode. I agree that Anther's will lead to more high quality matches and is definitely the better option for mid-high level players, but I still think For Glory is a passable option for those who like quick, simple, and occasionally silly/bad matches. It's also nice for learning how to beat bad players, which seems obvious for many, but sometimes being able to read the stupid option is a nice tool to have. Especially when your skill level isn't very high. For example, beating a stereotypical projectile character is really satisfying, especially when it's laggy, as it proves that I can do it even in the worst of circumstances. Though if you cannot deal with regular lag and/or input lag, then I would avoid it like the plague. FD can also get old after a while, but being able to work well in the absence of platforms is not a bad skill, especially if you play a character that can heavily benefit from platform use.

Basically, you're going to a fast food restaurant instead of a fancy restaurant. It can work, but you have to deal with the issues involved and occasion indigestion.

Azneli

Smash Cadet
NNID
Azneli
If you plan on doing real life tournaments it is really bad. Only FD, no counterpicks really, lag, etc.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I believe For Glory can be useful, but it can only help you so much as it has it's own problems.

I think For Glory has helped me improve tons simply due to the fact I can play other players. I never tried Brawls Online much due to the fact the lag was always terrible; however in Smash U I barely encounter any lag, or if I do it's not very common. This has encouraged me to actively play more, so I've been able to work on improving as well as find out what characters actually work for me.

I don't have many friends who actively play Smash in person, so For Glory is usually the best option I have. Even more so when there's not really any local Smash Gatherings or Tournaments close enough to my area. It's great for quick matches and you have the option to go against a vast variety of other players, compared to trying to find some and waiting for responses. The skill levels you get also vary quite a bit. You have a good chance of going against someone that is your skill level or perhaps an even higher skill level than yours.

Despite this For Glory does have it's disadvantages...

Their Match Making system is completely random so you could get someone far below your skill level, or constantly if you're just having an unlucky day. If they developed a Ranking System that probably would of changed that, but sadly they didn't think about that.

You also will, just like in any other Online Game, come across people who lag horribly, spam, camp, and do many other annoying things. On the bright side the more you encounter these kinds of people the more you learn how to deal with them. It doesn't make them any less annoying though. From a Competitive stand point a lot of people would say Omega only Stages is also its biggest downfall; however I feel indifferent about that (I'm not really a competitive player). I cloud see how it could limit you on improving though if you are.

Next, which I believe is For Glorys biggest problem is the amount of salt that gets spilt constantly in that mode.

Then again, you'll get that in almost any Online Game. If people have the option to communicate in some way or form to another player then they're going to abuse that feature to throw you insults. Sadly it just feels like (to me anyways) it's almost constant at this point.

You get memes, insults, and kids who just found out their first swears/racial slurs and find them hilarious to share.

All in all, I do believe For Glory can help anyone improve and is pretty useful. You have to take the pros with the cons; however there will be more cons to the competitive players than the causal players. After all, it certainly beats training with CPUs all the time, right?

Last edited:

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
For Glory itself is definitely not the best way for practising available by all means and like some of the posts above if your planning on doing tournaments and LAN events it can cause many problems with your game play when taking into consideration stages and input lag. When I first got into the scene one issue most people recognised was my stage game was awful since at the time I had no experience on any of the legal stages, this was mostly to do with the fact that all I played was FD/Omega. Another example is I know players who play nothing but online and are extremely good, but take them offline and they are really bad because they are not use to the lack of lag.

Something I do find it extremely useful for though is match up knowledge, its quick and you do tend to find some strange character choices allowing for a lot of different types of match up knowledge. I personally really like what Anthers has as an online tool (Minus the part where its a pain to Add/Delete players every game). It makes for a much better and all rounded tool for leaning and becoming great but with adding and deleting its not very good for quick games.

I guess concluding I don't think FD is great, there is so much more it could have been and its a real shame that its all we got for a competitive aspect of Smash in game, but it definitely has its uses and as long as you mix up your methods of training and tailoring dependant on what areas you need to improve on then yeah it can definitely work for you.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
For Glory is full of ****. How can you learn properly when there is input lag and some other crazy **** going on there?

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
For Glory is full of ****. How can you learn properly when there is input lag and some other crazy **** going on there?
Unfortunately though for some people its there only option, its either that or play against CPU. Anthers isn't much better for input lag, it only benefits from being a normal tournament format and stages other than FD.

Jakkun

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4413-4635
The only thing 4Glory teaches me is how to punish the most amateur of trolls (i;e: a T-bagging Bowser/Ike I fought last night that kept throwing out Side Smashes and Up-B's like it was going out of style), and patience against said players I guess. I can say this because I had a set with my best friend's Marth right after and I learned more within one match of that than I did with a day's worth of 4Glory. For those who've played or heard of it, FG is kinda like Elsword PvP, only play it if you are of considerable skill and can find enjoyment out of punishing juvenile tactics and play, otherwise, its just a headache. At least that's my 2¢.

(seriously, didn't know people still T-bag...thought that died in like 2004 lol).

Last edited:
Top Bottom