• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Comparisons

Holygrail

Smash Rookie
Okay, you may all be familiar with what I say, now that Kirby Super Star Ultra is out. However I just wanted to point out some similarities with the Super Smash Bros franchise and Kirby Super Star Ultra.

I played the game myself (Kirby Super Star Ultra) and it's great! Brings back memories! But I noticed some striking similarities between it and the Smash Bros Games. So let me point them out.

First, I will compare the bosses, starting with Ridley.

Ridley. How can anyone forget this bada** dragon? Even I admit he should have been in Brawl, and he deserved a spot as a fighter in Brawl. At the end, he was one of the Subspace Emmisary bosses.

But you know that there is a boss named Dyna Blade in Kirby Super Star, right? Yeah, I thought so. The bird who was destroying Dreamland's crops. Well, her attack patterns are similar to Ridley's. She can switch sides, attack from the background, and such. Although unlike Ridley, she does not seem to have that attack from the side move. As far as her fire attacks go, you can compare that attack with Meta Ridley's fire attack.

Second, there is Porky Minch. The kid who is aged by Time Travel abuse and has to survive using that spider machine you fight against with Ness and Lucas. Well, he is well comparable with Heavy Lobster from the Super Star Ultra game, Meta Knight's Revenge. The two have similar attack patterns as well. From jumping high into the air and firing things at you, and charging at you. I am not sure if Heavy Lobster is the only one comparable to Porky, though.

Thirdly, we all know and love the big, bad blue dude from Subspace. Yep, I am taking about Tabuu. Who doesn't like him? Anyway, he can me compared to Marx, the other lovable boss in Milky Way Wishes. Both are the final bosses in their respective games.

If you don't know who Marx is, then this is who I am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzI89loX3h8

Okay, maybe he isn't that lovable after all...

Anyway, these two have really similar patterns. They both teleport four times around you, they appear on the side and blasts you with something, and the Black Hole attack Marx has can be as deadly as Tabuu's Off Wings!

What about Master Hand, our favorite magic glove?

Let's compare him to Wham Bam Rock, the final boss of The Great Cave Offensive. While Master Hand does not have a face like Wham Bam does, Wham Bam does use a hand for an attack. Master Hand and Wham Bam Rock can both do that finger walk and try to kick you, shoot at you like they are acting like they are guns, try to punch you, or otherwise attack you by slapping you palmwise from above. Now, what abotu Crazy Hand? Compare him to a boss like Wham Bam Rock: Wham Bam Jewel!

Crazy Hand and Wham Bam Jewel are respective counterparts to Master Hand and Wham Bam Rock, with Crazy Hand being the destructive force to Master Hand's creative force, and Jewel looking like it's a female wile Rock appears more male. While both attack similarly to their counterparts, Crazy and Jewel have more attacks than Master or Rock. Those attacks I can't name at this moment.

Anyhow, the Subspace Emissary has more things similar to Kirby Super Star Ultra than just bosses. Stage elements are similar, too. They springs in both games look alike; there are different looking bomb blocks in each of the two games that lead to hidden areas, similar looking cannons, those launch pads on the ground that launch you forward, and such.

Plus, animations function similarly when a character goes through a door. If you stand in front of the door and you press up, you walk into it; but if you fall and press up while you approach a door, you "fall" into it.

And in Subspace, where you stop to fight a group of Primids or a Greap and such; that is somewhat the same when Kirby has to fight a mini boss or a group of enemies in Kirby Super Star Ultra.

Even the 2-player mode in Brawl has similarities with Kirby and his helper in Super Star Ultra. The camera will focus on Kirby, or in Subspace, it will focus on player one's character. Leave your helper/fellow second player's character in the game, and they turn into a light and automatically teleport over to the first player/Kirby. Likewise, if the first player presses start, the second player/helper will teleport over to that first player.

Now, more on the helper thing; we know who the Ice Climbers are, right? We either love them or hate them. But they function similarly to Kirby and whoever is his helper at the moment. Like the helper character follows Kirby, Nana (or Popo through alternate costume) follows Popo or Nana. They are a kind of team, and both characters take damage separately. Also, Nana is controlled by a CPU, like the helper in Kirby Super Star Ultra.

Unlike in Kirby Super Star Ultra, you're screwed if Nana/Popo get KOed, leaving the other character you still control on stage.

Also, you may be familiar on how similar the All Star and Boss Battles modes are to the Arena, Helper to Hero, and the True Arena. You have to fight other characters in random order, but the last one will always be the same. The All Star mode in Brawl is more orderly like the Helper to Hero game in KSSU, while like the Arena and the True Arena, the last boss you fight in the Boss Battles Mode in Brawl will not change; in this case, Tabuu is always the last boss you fight in Boss Battles.

I may have forgotten other similarities, so feel free to comment and add what I may have missed. But isn't is wierd, that the Smash Bros is so similar to Kirby Super Star Ultra?

Top Bottom