• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super EV Training - A Pikachu Metagame Thread (3.6b)

What is the most important part of the game for Pikachu?

• Total voters

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman

Pika's feeling pumped!​

So as the relevant Pikachu threads haven't been used in a while, let's try to get down to business and open up discussion on Pikachu's playstyle. This thread aims to help bring the Pika meta to all players by making the otherwise uncommon knowledge as transparent as possible, so that the community as a whole can be better educated and allow Pikachu tactics to properly evolve. Any technical questions can also be delegated here just to avoid new and possibly superfluous threads, as tech skill questions should be applicable here. Let's hope that with enough information available more people may want to try Pikachu out!

To give a primer on Pikachu, Pika is the definition of a fragile speedster - fast in both movement and attack speed, but limited in terms of power (or more specifically damage). He is able to use his speed to easily weave around the opponent and punish whiffs, has specials with unique and quirky properties, and has a great recovery and subsequent edgeguarding ability. In exchange, Pika is lightweight and suffers from extremely limited range on his moveset, limiting safe offensive and defensive play to the smallest margins of error. It is the Pika main's duty to compensate for this by maximizing speed of movement and input, so you'll need to put in work to make sure your Pika is always on point.

I'd like to start off discussing information in terms of tectics. For the purposes of this thread, let's divide up the game to certain phases and see where tactics would apply. I feel that there are 4 immediate phases and 1 overarching phase as follows:

Neutral Game

The one phase everyone should be familiar with, the neutral game is when both players are in a state where neither has a distinct advantage over the other. Neutral game tactics are usually heavily focused on approaches, baits, spacing, and zoning, all in an attempt to get your opponent to over commit. The key aspect for this phase is positioning.

Punish Game

Traditionally, the punish game has always been the part of the game where you rack up damage on the opponent as punishment for their mistakes. I'd like to split off this definition into two categories, with the punish game specifically about the ability to land the punish or set up for one. This phase focuses on pressure, prediction (reads), and pressing positional advantage. Think of this phase as instantaneously converting the neutral to your advantage.

Stagger Game

From the punish, the stagger game takes the definition of keeping the opponent at a disadvantage for as long as you can until you secure the KO or the opponent resets the situation. This can either be through combos, juggles, or forcing the opponent above you or offstage. DI traps, tech-chasing, and edgeguarding would be applicable here. Think of this phase as how long and how strongly you can capitalize off of a punish.

Reset Game

When you are at a disadvantage, it becomes imperative to at least reset the situation back to neutral. Anytime the opponent messes up his punish or stagger game can reset to neutral, but tactics allow more proactive play thanks to all forms of DI and defensive tech skill such as smart use of shields, spot-dodges, techs, and Out of Shield (OoS) options. Recovery is also a part of this phase. Turning the situation on its head by converting from a disadvantageous to advantageous position is of course more preferred.

Endurance Game

Though not a specific game phase, the equally important endurance game is the overarching ability of maintaining the optimal level of tech skill, fundamentals, and adaptability needed to play consistently over time, whether over a set or a tournament. Objectives can include avoiding playing on tilt while forcing the opponent to do so, getting and keeping momentum, and dealing with external factors such as crowds and controller johns. Tactics here would be relevant to any character, or any game really.

Here's an example of possible discussions of these phases and how they apply to Pikachu:
  • Pikachu can approach with SHFFL Nair or Fair aiming to cross-up the opponent, and zone with d-tilt and jolt.
  • Pikachu can punish whiffs and spotdodges with any smash attack, though be mindful of if he'll need to wavedash into range to do so.
  • Pikachu can use QAC as a repositioning tool to extend combos.
  • Pikachu can use Uair to send away a greedy opponent trying to chase you in the air and possibly get him offstage with the right hitbox.
  • Practicing QA angles is important for Pikachu's recovery in order to consistently sweetspot the ledge.
Feel free to theory-craft or site video examples, discuss counter play to the meta of other characters, and so on. I'd like to also possibly add move breakdowns, general MU advice against different archetypes, and stage discussions as well, though any of that can be divvied off to a specific thread.

So for now, what tactics do you often use? What do you think is underutilized? What habits should you try to avoid?

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
I left it ambiguous because I wanted to see how people interpreted it. Guess that didn't work if nobody actually commented.

Ideally, yeah, all parts are important for any character's gameplay, but are there any that stick out to you as something Pikachu is particularly strong or weak in? For example, I can say that Pikachu's somewhat lacking pressure in neutral and extended combo game means there should be more emphasis on getting punishes and forcing the opponent offstage, where the player can net momentum with Pika's edgeguarding strengths.

You can also interpret it as "Pika should have a good [X] game against defensive playstyles" or just "I find Pika good at [X]." Something like that.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu strengths
+ Amazing smash attacks
+ U-Air is really good
+ Gimps
+ Good recovery
+ Great throw conversions
+ Good speed
+ Thunder

Pikachu weak points
- Garbage dash attack
- Bad approach (huge problem)
- Bad range
- difficult to get long combos (IMO)
- Terrible grab range
- Short wavedash
- Weak shield
- Skull bash is awful
- up tilt comes out too slow

Basically pikachus nuteral game is lackluster but he can score some early kills by gimping, and probobly has the best smash attacks in the game

Let me know if I'm missing something

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
+ low lag on normals and SHFFL aerials
+ fast jumpsquat
+ quick OoS options
+ can go very deep offstage to secure kills
+ good projectile
+ great spotdodge and tech in place

- low damage output = can't dish out much hitstun
- lightweight
- general lack of disjoint
- electrical attacks (more hitlag)

I've never had a problem with Up tilt. It seems as fast as his other tilts. You are using it when the opponent is behind you right?

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
+ low lag on normals and SHFFL aerials
+ fast jumpsquat
+ quick OoS options
+ can go very deep offstage to secure kills
+ good projectile
+ great spotdodge and tech in place

- low damage output = can't dish out much hitstun
- lightweight
- general lack of disjoint
- electrical attacks (more hitlag)

I've never had a problem with Up tilt. It seems as fast as his other tilts. You are using it when the opponent is behind you right?
edit: lol forget what I typed; its irrelevant . I spent so long on typing the comment i got off topic

I don't start a combo by uptilt I ussally do a fair/ nair > up tilt. But sometimes the combo doesn't connect for various reasons. I just blamed up tilt for not being fast enough. I think it's because fair doesn't always have enough hitstun to connect an up tilt. And you can get a guaranteed up tilt off a nair but it's very difficult or at least for me, nair in general requires really good timing and almost perfect spacing to get the perfect knockback for starting combos. the more i look into it the more complicated it gets at first its just a few problems but it stems into another and eventually im asking to change the character completely which i dont want, i just erased an entire essay on this comment discussing problem after problem leading to more problems. i think in the end it just sums up to pikachu being a difficult character to use and not being as noob friendly compared to the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
I think Pikachu's strengths are all match up dependent

And his weakness are pretty much low range, Crouch Cancelling, bad tech rolls, low grab range, and how he is such combo food.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Apparently everyone is voting for punish game, Am I missing something? What's the secret on getting 60%+ combos on characters that aren't fast fallers, and on stages that aren't FD? Seriously I'm ignorant on the metagame and punish game for pikachu in pm 3.5. There are no videos on YouTube on top level pikachus in 3.5 to learn from.

Neighbor

Smash Cadet
Overall these are all important, but tournament wise its all of these with Endurance being the key factor. A lot of things can either go right or wrong in a set and so many other things factor in, like the venue not having heat and your hands are freezing or its summer time and no AC so your sweating bullets, if the venue is small and people are hitting your back as they walk by, or just nerves from people standing over you watching and noticing every mistake you make lol. All of these things have pushed me to believe endurance is so important especially mentally. Good punish tech skill and neutral are very important but its easy to start off very well and then slow down, become impatient, or start auto piloting. So yeah endurance all the way

MisterNipNips

Smash Cadet
NNID
MisterNipNips
I think neutral game and punish game go hand in hand. I tend to bait opponents with dash dancing (which is part of neutral) then punishing hard for their mistakes. It's also extremely important to know when to play aggressively or when to play a bit more on the defensive side. If you see an opening you should take it and wreck havoc on your opponent using your movement speed to get in quickly. Pikachu has this amazing hit and run type game.

DaTrueCommander

Smash Rookie
Sorry for saying that, but all of you who say Pika has a bad combo game obviously don't know jack about him. He has a CRAZY combo game, if you know how to juggle with your opponent. You can follow up with just about any aerial on just about anyone out of his up and down throws, and I swear to god his uair is the best juggling tool in PM. His nair is also really good if you space it well, as you can choose whether you want a strong or weak one, depending on the character you're facing, to achieve different effects.

Combo game wise, begin by learning how to send your opponent in the air using a rising uair (for that you want to hit him while he's behind you, as the first hitbox is the one that will send him upwards), then you can do another one, and if there are platforms, you can link three or four in a row. The last aerial you do shouldn't be an uair though, as it doesn't rack up much damage. You'll want to finish your string with either a bair that will kill him or send him offstage, or a weak nair that'll let you continue your combo if you're quick enough. Dair is also a good option, as it has great knockback, or if you're right above a platform, you could do a fair, making sure not to hit him with the last hitbox (the one that'll send him flying), following him as you both land on the platform, then quickly kill him with an usmash (it comes out crazy fast if you don't charge it, and is the move with the greatest base knockback in the whole game). One thing you'll want to master is sniping opponents that are near the ceiling blast zone with your thunder (down B). After an usmash that didn't quite kill him or an uair that sent him right above you. Be wary of falling to your death as you do so, though, as it can happen quite often, since you'll have to jump before doing it if you're grounded. One thing you can do to counter that is learn to B-reverse it, which is a good thing, because it then becomes a great edge guarding tool against characters who usually have a pretty safe recovery near the ledge (Ike on walled stages, for example, or Samus and Link). It's good to know that the thunder doesn't come out from the top of the stage, but from a set distance above Pika's head (that will only be a problem on huge stages, though, like Dreamland).

As for approach, you want to either approach him with a SHFFL'd nair or fair, or a short-hopped spark that you can follow up with an usmash if you're close enough to him when he gets hit. If you come him with a nair, you'll want to land right behind him, so you can pressure him with either an utilt or an uair and start a combo. If you come with a fair, you'll want to either land right behind him and do the same thing as with your nair or land right in front of him and usmash or ftilt him (ftilt after a SHFFL'd fair is safe on shield (at least in 3.5, I don't know about 3.6)). Just make sure you SHFFL the fair, or you'll hit him with the last hitbox, and then you'll get punished or send him flying. In either case, you won't be able to follow-up. You can also grab right after any of those to mix it up, which is really good, because Pika has crazy follow ups out of his up and down throws. Another thing you can do is land behind him and do turnaround usmash, ftilt or grab, but I find this a bit harder. You can also wave dash backwards and do a rising uair, just as a Fox would wave dash into a shine, to start a combo. One advantage Pika has over most characters is that even when he's in shield, it's dangerous to be standing behind him. Rising uair OoS comes out crazy fast and has just about the same range as his grab, so try and learn to use that too. Optionally, you can throw out OoS usmash, as it, too, comes out really quick.

For the neutral game part, I suggest you learn to both dash dance and wave dash, as both have their use. Pika's dash dancing game is really good if you're able to do turnaround smash attacks, and even if he has a small wave dash, wave dashing backwards to catch your opponent off guard with a fsmash is really good. When you know your opponent is gonna come and try to hit you, you can try surprising him with a dsmash. It has a really good range and will "suck" your opponent in most of the time, keeping him in hitstun until the last hit, which will send him upwards if he doesn't DI. You can then follow up with a thunder or, if he's offstage, try to gimp him with a nair or uair spike. By the way, the uair can spike opponents that are in front of you, but behind you as well, if you hit them with the right angle. All in all, you'll want to abuse Pika's speed and little hurtbox to avoid getting hit and overwhelm your opponent with a flurry of little hits that don't do much damage by themselves, but when all added together can easily reach 70-80% combos most of the time. The only two moves you'll want to avoid using by all means are his dash attack and skull bash (side B). Aside from surprising your opponent from time to time, there's really not much you can do with these moves, and you'll get punished for using them more often than not. Skull bash can, however, help you recover if you use it when you're far offstage, but make sure it ends before you get in range for your opponent to punish it (read: you don't want to land onstage using skull bash).

One of Pika's greatest strengths is his edge guarding toolset. You can snipe opponents offstage with sparks, deny them the ledge by either putting a thunder in front of it with a B-reversed down B or grabbing it with your QA (both are high risk/high reward strategies, though, as you'll probably fall to your death if you miss them). Know that the thunder has a set length, though, so you don't want to be too high when you do it, or it won't reach far down enough to be of use. You can also go crazy far offstage to deny characters with bad recoveries any chance mix it up (for example, nair gimping a Roy or a Falco that is far offstage is pretty easy). Be wary of opponents who'll throw away their stock to bring you with them, though, like a Ganon who'll side B you instead of recovering since he knows he'll die anyway. If you're good and know your percentages well, you can try weak nair>uair spike to try and send them directly into the side blast zone. Dair or dtilt near the ledge can also be a good choice against opponents who don't sweet spot. I don't know if it still works in 3.6, but in 3.5 I've sometimes hit an opponent who was hanging on the ledge with an usmash, though it isn't reliable enough to be considered a good edge guard. You can, however, hit an opponent who sweet spots poorly with a well-placed usmash. Angled ftilt from the ledge can also be a good option, though it, too, won't work against an opponent who sweet spots correctly.

I'll end this post with what I think are Pika's greatest strengths and weaknesses. First, for the strengths, he has one of the best weight/fall speed combinations in my opinion. He's just floaty enough to be hard to combo for most characters once he reaches a certain percentage, but just heavy enough not to die too easily. With good DI, I typically live up to 150-160% on stages that have normal blast zones, like Pokemon Stadium 2, Battlefield or Final Destination. I've reached 130-140% on smaller stages like WarioWare and Green Hill Zone, and my all-time record stands around 230% on Dreamland (it was against a Captain Falcon, if I recall correctly). His recovery is the best in the game, in my opinion, but the downside is you'll have to develop crazy tech skills just to be consistent with it. If you are, though, it allows for incredible mix ups, and Pika then becomes almost unedgeguardable (excuse the made up word, I didn't know how to say it differently XD). Most players will try to grab the ledge against you, but it almost never works against Pika if you know what you're doing. Pika's edge guard capabilities are among the most fearsome in the game, and his speed and little hurtbox can get you out of harm's way if, again, you know what you're doing. I like to say that if you're good with Pika, you should be able to play him without grabbing at all (never do that, though, since grabbing with Pika is GOOD).

Finally, for the weaknesses. I think Pika's greatest weakness is the amount of tech skill required to be consistent with him. It's different tech skill than with most characters for sure, but I think it is on par with the kind of crazy dedication it takes to get good with spacies. Just that will suffice to scare off most of the low-mid level players who'll try to pick him up. Also, even though he has some of the best disjointed hitboxes in the game, he also has some of the worst approach options, with his nair and fair being small hitboxes that are practically inside his hurtbox, which makes him really hard to play against swordsmen, especially Roy. Also, since most of his moves have low knockback (aside from his smash attacks), he is very susceptible to crouch cancelling (Bowser in particular has proven to be a tough match up). To counter that, you can abuse grabbing your opponent, since he won't be able to crouch cancel anything when he's in the air. Pika being a "wall of hitboxes" type of character, other characters of that type, like DK, Yoshi and Kirby, will give him a hard time, since they practically all have better range than him on most of their moves.

Pika's strengths and weaknesses:

+ Great speed and maneuverability
+ Crazy recovery, makes him really hard to edge guard if you have good mix up
+ Can kill at very low percentages (I once killed a Mario at 40% on WarioWare OFF THE TOP)
+ Great edge guarding toolset against almost any character
+ Perfect weight/fall speed combination (in my opinion)
+ Up-air ('nough said)
+ Very good smash attacks (especially the usmash)
+ Good projectile (especially against characters with tether recoveries, since the spark will follow the stage and hit them as they're hanging from their tether)
+ Can juggle with most characters for days

- Requires good tech skills just to be consistent
- Can die at very low percentages against strong characters like Ganon or Ike (but then again, almost anyone can)
- Bad approach options against characters with a good range
- Very susceptible to crouch cancelling
- Projectile is really only good for edge guarding and mix up purposes
- Combos are difficult to pull off, since they require 10-12 hits to achieve the same percentage 7-8 hits would do for most other characters
- Very hard to sweet spot the ledge, and you'll sometimes get hit even if you do
- Since he doesn't have many good approach options, you'll quickly become readable by better players, which can be frustrating if you don't mix it up, and makes him hard to play against characters that have naturally good spacing (like Marth)

DaTrueCommander

Smash Rookie
I apologize for the double post, but I didn't want to include this part in my previous post, since this isn't just about Pika's metagame. Everything that was said above is for 3.5, but I have yet to find anything that doesn't work anymore in 3.6. In fact, Pika was buffed in 3.6, so you shouldn't have any trouble applying this to your own playstyle.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for us, Pika's metagame hasn't developed to its full extent yet (at least in PM), and aside from Axe's sets, you won't find much gameplay of him on YouTube (at least not from really good players like Axe and Anther). It is frustrating, since it'll take you way longer to develop your combo game that way, but I also think it's much better to learn how to play a character by yourself. You'll have far more knowledge of what you can and can't do, and when you see something new, you'll be able to implement it in your playstyle right away. Everything I said in the post above, I've developed myself, through trial and error and by watching Axe's Pika in Melee (which you shouldn't do too much, since he's very different in PM). Also, don't watch too much of Axe's PM Pika. I think he could be way better than what he shows us, because since he plays him like he would in Melee, he doesn't take full advantage of what PM Pika has to offer, and that makes him bad. (Proof?) -> Axe actually plays more Marth than Pika in PM.

I've been playing PM competitively for only six months (though I've been playing Smash 64 for years now), but I've played a lot on Anther's Ladder (I've even had the chance to play against our great lord Anther himself), and if I've learned one thing over that time, it's that people underestimate Pika A LOT in PM. He's currently low-mid tier, with most top players putting him third to last or even worse, but honestly, I feel like he could easily reach high tier if his metagame developed more. His only real bad match ups are swordsmen and characters who have good crouch cancelling (and even then, I wouldn't say Ike is that bad of a match up for Pika). I don't know if it really means anything, but people use to tell me all the time that I have a really good Pika on Anther's Ladder, with some of them telling me it's the best they've played period, and I've met only one Pika who bested me aside from Anther. By the way, my name is DaTrueCommander on there as well, for those of you who would be interested. ;)

Finally, the most important thing with Pika, in my opinion, is to mix up everything you do (it's probably the most important thing in SSB period). Pika, despite his weaknesses, does have some really great tools which, if you use them well and mix them up appropriately, will let you overwhelm just about anyone. One thing you can use to your advantage, just like anyone who plays low-tier characters in other Smash games, is that most of the time your opponent will have absolutely no idea what you're doing, or how to counter it. Playing against a character you don't know well is hard, and if they mix up a lot and don't give you time to learn what they're doing, it's even harder.

I'm afraid I have nothing more to say. I hope this helps you all develop your Pika metagame. The rest, though, you'll have to figure out by yourself. To the pleasure of facing you all on Anther's Ladder!

Last edited:

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
I apologize for the double post, but I didn't want to include this part in my previous post, since this isn't just about Pika's metagame. Everything that was said above is for 3.5, but I have yet to find anything that doesn't work anymore in 3.6. In fact, Pika was buffed in 3.6, so you shouldn't have any trouble applying this to your own playstyle.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for us, Pika's metagame hasn't developed to its full extent yet (at least in PM), and aside from Axe's sets, you won't find much gameplay of him on YouTube (at least not from really good players like Axe and Anther). It is frustrating, since it'll take you way longer to develop your combo game that way, but I also think it's much better to learn how to play a character by yourself. You'll have far more knowledge of what you can and can't do, and when you see something new, you'll be able to implement it in your playstyle right away. Everything I said in the post above, I've developed myself, through trial and error and by watching Axe's Pika in Melee (which you shouldn't do too much, since he's very different in PM). Also, don't watch too much of Axe's PM Pika. I think he could be way better than what he shows us, because since he plays him like he would in Melee, he doesn't take full advantage of what PM Pika has to offer, and that makes him bad. (Proof?) -> Axe actually plays more Marth than Pika in PM.

I've been playing PM competitively for only six months (though I've been playing Smash 64 for years now), but I've played a lot on Anther's Ladder (I've even had the chance to play against our great lord Anther himself), and if I've learned one thing over that time, it's that people underestimate Pika A LOT in PM. He's currently low-mid tier, with most top players putting him third to last or even worse, but honestly, I feel like he could easily reach high tier if his metagame developed more. His only real bad match ups are swordsmen and characters who have good crouch cancelling (and even then, I wouldn't say Ike is that bad of a match up for Pika). I don't know if it really means anything, but people use to tell me all the time that I have a really good Pika on Anther's Ladder, with some of them telling me it's the best they've played period, and I've met only one Pika who bested me aside from Anther. By the way, my name is DaTrueCommander on there as well, for those of you who would be interested. ;)

Finally, the most important thing with Pika, in my opinion, is to mix up everything you do (it's probably the most important thing in SSB period). Pika, despite his weaknesses, does have some really great tools which, if you use them well and mix them up appropriately, will let you overwhelm just about anyone. One thing you can use to your advantage, just like anyone who plays low-tier characters in other Smash games, is that most of the time your opponent will have absolutely no idea what you're doing, or how to counter it. Playing against a character you don't know well is hard, and if they mix up a lot and don't give you time to learn what they're doing, it's even harder.

I'm afraid I have nothing more to say. I hope this helps you all develop your Pika metagame. The rest, though, you'll have to figure out by yourself. To the pleasure of facing you all on Anther's Ladder!
we should do pika dittos at anthers ladder sometime (Again) . my username is IDontKnow7 we can play and talk about pika, and other things

Last edited:

MisterNipNips

Smash Cadet
NNID
MisterNipNips
Pika dittos are the most awkward matches ever. Just watch anther vs axe. Its just these awkward 1-2 hit strings due to pika's weight. blegh. Axe also said its a really awkward match lol.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Pika dittos are the most awkward matches ever. Just watch anther vs axe. Its just these awkward 1-2 hit strings due to pika's weight. blegh. Axe also said its a really awkward match lol.
Really? Pika dittos is one of my personal favorite mu, and I pull off long combos in the mu

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Coincidentally, I was looking for that set earlier and couldn't find it. Is it still on YouTube or was it taken down by vgbc? If it's gone, does anyone have it to reupload?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
pichu and pikachu dittos suck. both mice dd and nair/d tilt or whatever until one of them overextends and probably gets grabbed and destroyed for it.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
pichu and pikachu dittos suck. both mice dd and nair/d tilt or whatever until one of them overextends and probably gets grabbed and destroyed for it.
Acctually I have a friend on anthers ladder and we play pika dittos for hours cuz it's so fun. He even said its a lot of fun to play with me, even though I beat him 40-3

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
@ InfinityCollision InfinityCollision I couldn't find it either unfortunately. From what I remember, D-smash would nullify the old QAC approach, and I think Axe showed off more visible PM tech than Anther did but Anther still won. Wish I could see it again...

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
pikachu is mid tier imo . i can see him being mid high but not anywhere higher than that. i can also see him being mid low.

Last edited:

MorphGuy1000

Smash Cadet
Hey, new to Smashboards and this is going to be my first post. :)

There's a few approach options that I use which I feel that people haven't really touched upon yet, IMO. What I see up there are things like SHFFL Nair to Utilt/Uair, SHFFL Fair to Utilt/Uair, and Tjolts at a safe distance into a Usmash (this can also be Nair/Fair, among other things. Pikachu DOES have other approach options besides these, however.

One that I like and that I see Axe use occasionally is run up, crouch cancel the dash (aka a dash cancel), and then Dtilt. Pikachu's Dtilt is probably the most disjointed of his moves aside from Uair, and has a decent amount of range. The Dtilt can then be followed up with an aerial (Fair's usually the safest since it hits closer to the ground) or a Usmash, depending on their DI. If they're near the ledge, the Dtilt can send then off-stage and give you an edgeguard situation, or if your opponent does a recovery just above the ledge, it has the potential to kill certain characters as well. You can even mix up the approaching Dtilts with a Dsmash and deal some significant shield damage or get a free-pop-up.

Another option after using a cross-up Nair or Fair, if your opponent shields, is to Dsmash. I believe that Dsmash actually comes out faster than Utilt after an aerial, and the Dsmash pops your opponent up, allowing you to get an Uair and send your opponent off-stage/juggle them. At higher percents (and somewhat-bad DI), you can even go for a Thunder after the Dsmash and potentially kill your opponent as well.

I also cannot stress getting down QACs. They allow you to be mobile if you know that you cannot follow up with another aerial. Another thing that's kinda situational, bu does have its applications, is that you can QAC into a Thunder, which allows for some interesting kill options that previously would have not been possible.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
other characters have foward smashes that hit from behind but pikachus dtilts doesnt hit if youre too close smh

Last edited:
Top Bottom