• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suggestions for 2nd?

Nymphbits

Smash Rookie
Rosy is my main, but right now I'm torn between which I should use as a second! I would like a character that covers her weaknesses that I can counterpick for some of her bad machups if need be... I'm currently torn between...

Z-suit, Shulk, Megaman, Palutena

Did you guys have any suggestions?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Simply choose the fighter whom you have the 2nd most experience with.
I don't particularly like this answer. That basically says forget any new comers. Or forget experimenting with characters you've never played with.

Rosalina can have a hard time with rush down characters, like sonic or sheik. My suggestion would be to strengthen your Rosalina for those match ups. However, if you still struggle and don't have a preference on a secondary, then research the counters to the characters your struggle with the most. Get good with your secondaries.

Edit: concerning your choices, Shulk would be my choice out of those. He has great spacing tools, like Rosalina and has the ability to change his play style mid match, like Rosalina. ZSS, I don't have much experience with, but she could be a good choice too.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, Mega Man is my second most used fighter in the game and I'm pretty much bad*** with Rosie and him (Mega-Lina). Shulk is also a good choice though.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Rosy is my main, but right now I'm torn between which I should use as a second! I would like a character that covers her weaknesses that I can counterpick for some of her bad machups if need be... I'm currently torn between...

Z-suit, Shulk, Megaman, Palutena

Did you guys have any suggestions?
I'll make this easy for you Palutena sucks and so does Shulk. They don't beat any of the characters Rosalina loses to. ZSS is good really good idk if she wins vs diddy or shiek. Then MM is good also unsure of his MU but he's a better bet then the other two.

So ZSs or MM and I would stop playing the other tso characters.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I'll make this easy for you Palutena sucks and so does Shulk. They don't beat any of the characters Rosalina loses to. ZSS is good really good idk if she wins vs diddy or shiek. Then MM is good also unsure of his MU but he's a better bet then the other two.

So ZSs or MM and I would stop playing the other tso characters.
I agree with this. Shulk struggles with the same characters as Rosie.

As far as counters in your list, either ZSS or Mega Man.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
I dual main ZSS and Rosa, one is fast and pressure oriented while the other is more defensive. ZSS can help against characters that are too fast for Rosa like Sonic, or characters that can get around Luma like Jiggs. My Rosa also struggles against Mac's speed so once again ZSS helps with that MU.

Your personal MU's with other characters can really impact which 2 characters will balance the best as your mains, ZSS works for me, she may work for you~

Nymphbits

Smash Rookie
Thanks everyone for your advice~! It seems the general consensus is Z-Suit or Megaman. Tough choices! Both of those characters I adore.

Sad for Palutena and Shulk. I don't mind that their underused, but some of you guys are right, as I'm noticing they don't offer much new right now in terms of winning more easily against my bad matchups with Rosie.

Of those two though, I have to say, Megaman is definitely the more challenging to pick up and play. His play style is very quirky and sorta blocky.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Personally I use Toon Link. I can struggle with Heavy rushdown or big range (like link or Marth) with Rosalina and Toon link helps deal with that.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Pikachu and Diddy Kong for me. Rosalina is so defensive, because of that I turned to some fun agro characters for my secondaries.

Honestly if you're picking a secondary purely to handle match ups, look at not only Rosalina's MUs but also what characters you struggle against personally. THEN create a list of characters that can handle those MUs and select one based on your play style preferences. The MUs don't necessarily need to be 70:30 in your 2nd's favor either (though that's nice). You may just find certain MUs easier with a different style of character.

Nymphbits

Smash Rookie
Sorry Guys, I think I effed up pretty bad in this department, and ended up falling in love with Palutena as my second >->;;;

I dunno what it is! But she's just really fun to play, and I feel more in control and confident with her than I do the other options I listed...

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Sorry Guys, I think I effed up pretty bad in this department, and ended up falling in love with Palutena as my second >->;;;

I dunno what it is! But she's just really fun to play, and I feel more in control and confident with her than I do the other options I listed...
You're going to want to pick up a 3rd.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
ive been thinking of using sonic as a secondary. I actually like his match up against diddy a lot, and he has the speed to deal with some of those other really fast characters that rosa struggles with as well.

Nymphbits

Smash Rookie
Dabuzz picked olimar as his second! >-> Aren't I allowed to picked mediocrity as well?

Also~! Custom moves! Ehh? Ehh?? Those are a thing now!

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Dabuzz picked olimar as his second! >-> Aren't I allowed to picked mediocrity as well?

Also~! Custom moves! Ehh? Ehh?? Those are a thing now!
If you're as good as dabuz then run whoever you want. However, it's best to pick a character that covers your poor MU'S.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
As a Rosie main, I struggle against very strong diddy's, I can handle sheik very well due to my experience playing with many nasty Sheik competitive players. Anyway, any secondary character that's better against diddy and maybe sonic?

Last edited:

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
I use pikachu or diddy myself vs diddy players. The MU is alright for pikachu but I mainly like it b/c I feel a bit more comfortable going agro against that character. Yoshi is my biggest kryptonite.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
I use pikachu or diddy myself vs diddy players. The MU is alright for pikachu but I mainly like it b/c I feel a bit more comfortable going agro against that character. Yoshi is my biggest kryptonite.
Yoshi is a pain, but hes easier to deal with than diddy because well timed dash atks and being evasive and finding openings will take care of yoshi because his eggs have ending lag

Yoshi is a pain, but hes easier to deal with than diddy because well timed dash atks and being evasive and finding openings will take care of yoshi because his eggs have ending lag
Also, I hate playing as diddy, im talking about a character that counters him and pikachu is way too technical

Last edited by a moderator:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
As a Rosie main, I struggle against very strong diddy's, I can handle sheik very well due to my experience playing with many nasty Sheik competitive players. Anyway, any secondary character that's better against diddy and maybe sonic?
I think Megaman may work.

andimidna

Smash Master

*claps*
A very respectable way to pick a character.
This is exactly what I wish happened to me. I wanted to play Palutena almost equally to Rosalina, but when I tried to go back to her after playing Rosa, I felt so limited. I don't think she's useless at all, but her defensive and offensive game feels inferior to hers without customs. Not trying to call her the worst, I just think 1111 Palutena has to be played defensively to work well and doesn't have as great of defensive options as Rosa.
But she's the rushdown goddess of customs and customs are the future so lol time to learn how to do the divine hoo ha
Seriously I'm gonna

Nymphbits

Smash Rookie
*claps*
A very respectable way to pick a character.
This is exactly what I wish happened to me. I wanted to play Palutena almost equally to Rosalina, but when I tried to go back to her after playing Rosa, I felt so limited. I don't think she's useless at all, but her defensive and offensive game feels inferior to hers without customs. Not trying to call her the worst, I just think 1111 Palutena has to be played defensively to work well and doesn't have as great of defensive options as Rosa.
But she's the rushdown goddess of customs and customs are the future so lol time to learn how to do the divine hoo ha
Seriously I'm gonna
Thanks~ ^^ I'm committed to my choice, even if it was a bad one... because I love the character and think I can learn a lot about myself from playing as her. Her initial moves are a bit rocky, but her custom moves show so much promise! Custom moves seem like they will catch on moving forward. Especially after EVO hits.

mat7772

Smash Cadet
Well my 2nd is wii fit trainer and I feel very confident playing with her, maybe even more confident than rosalina atm, so pick who you feel like you have a lot of confidence over, but also know how to handle many characters with them as well.

Top Bottom