• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Suggestion) Switch to Alternate Costume with Grab Button

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
I notice that the Z trigger is unused at the character select screen. How about purposing it as a toggle to switch between alternate costumes?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I notice that the Z trigger is unused at the character select screen. How about purposing it as a toggle to switch between alternate costumes?
But I use the wiimote+nunchuck so that would mean that switching between alternate costumes would require pressing right or left in the wiimote which as you might have guessed moves the cursor right or left respectively.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
How about we simplify your request by making it possible to switch between alternate costumes the same way you switch colors.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
How about we simplify your request by making it possible to switch between alternate costumes the same way you switch colors.
I can think of several PM codes that are designed purely for convenience, that is a terrible argument.

And Q7, there's no harm in adding a function that otherwise wouldn't exist, even if some do miss out (eg salty runback).

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I can think of several PM codes that are designed purely for convenience, that is a terrible argument.

And Q7, there's no harm in adding a function that otherwise wouldn't exist, even if some do miss out (eg salty runback).
That is a terrible argument, salty runback just makes something you can already do a few seconds faster whereas this would be alienating players from content in the game just because they use the controller there system came with despite the fact that said alienated players had access to this content before.

Please give me one example of what this feature would do to contribute to the game outside of making people have to buy a controller just to use some costumes.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
This request was not made to alienate players, I'm sorry you feel that way. I made this request with the assumption that the inputs could be mutually exclusive, meaning nunchuck players would remain uneffected (or have the input assigned to the - button).

Now with that explained, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on the idea.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
This request was not made to alienate players, I'm sorry you feel that way. I made this request with the assumption that the inputs could be mutually exclusive, meaning nunchuck players would remain uneffected (or have the input assigned to the - button).

Now with that explained, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on the idea.
Well my initial thoughts are "What will this change contribute to the game?"

Rage83

Smash Ace
turtletank meant that, if you press the grab button, it would skip to the alternate costumes, and you would still be able to select them in the current method as well.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I mean yeah maybe it would be cool but there's really little point to it. If you want to get to Alt Costumes faster just use Y instead of X to scroll through the colors. The only character this almost doesn't work for is Mario because he has so many Doc colors.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Why was this thought even really entertained
its like a new level of pointless
"What if I could press L at the CSS to auto select random?"
there are a million things you could do like that
besides, you can already do this
if you have grab set to Y, Y will skip to alt costums right away.
Of course, Y always does this. But if you really want grab to do that, there's your chance.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
are you sure you know what viable means
legitimate question
i'm not sure if that's just like, really subtle humor or sometihing

Player -0

Smash Hero
are you sure you know what viable means
legitimate question
i'm not sure if that's just like, really subtle humor or sometihing
No, but using big words is fun.

Jk...... ...?

Comparing dictionary.com's definition to my definition ends up with similar results...
vi·a·ble
[vahy-uh-buh
l] Show IPA
adjective
5. practicable; workable: a viable alternative.

Top Bottom