• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subjectivity is a lame defense

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Link to original post: [drupal=4821]Subjectivity is a lame defense[/drupal]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bsfX6xqCBks#!

Dude's dead on the mark. Distinguishing art from ham-fisted pseudo-significant poopoo, to me, is 50% ingenuity and 50% masterfully communicating the intention of the piece. Anyone can look at a brick with the word "God" written on it and draw millions of whimsical/melodramatic and extensional parallels between how "religion is heavy, as the brick" or "God is red, like the brick." The trick, I think, is noting and considering the subtleties (context [symbolic relationships], era, artist's person, etc.) that draw the line between some schmoo clown who just felt like writing the word "God" on a brick because he knew he could swindle a pack of trend-hopping monkeys into believing it was avant-garde postmodern art, and a sincere, masterfully crafted piece. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which means we can't tell someone that them liking something is wrong per se, but we can critically examine the work and determine whether or not the artist is to be praised for a deliberated masterpiece, or a hackneyed slopjob thinly veiled by the defense of artistic subjectivity.

Only part I only mildly disagree with is that someone needs to perform traditional stuff before branching off or hybridizing, but that's assuming a specific context. If he means it generally in the sense that someone should just know their craft and be able to effectively express something lest they, under the illusion of grandeur in their painful greenness to the craft, make amorphous, lava-lamp goop sculptures and call them "The Lament of Charlemagne's Concubine's inner maelstrom" or some zany **** like that, then I agree on every point.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Andy Rooney was a professional crank. I agree with your point Vermanubis far more than I agree with Rooney; he was just complaining because he was old. He never really made a point about modern art other than "I don't like this."

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yeah, I could kinda tell LOL. I just used his grieving as a starting point for my own. :colorful:

Top Bottom