• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stunjacket

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
For those of you who don't know...

Looks like we got a very practical use for counter, now. So, we know that we can counter Bayo's gun and Falco's reflector to activate the stunjacket, but what other moves can we counter to activate this?

snook

Smash Apprentice
Damn that's pretty cool.

I'm going to have to lab this :)

I'm already thinking of impractical uses for it.

Last edited:

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
Yeah, it's cool but it barely works on any projectiles. It could work on Bayo's bullet arts but even then, you're going to be shielding a lot against Bayo and a single Witch Twist will remove the stun jacket.

It could work on things like Falco's Reflector and Ike's Up B but more often than not, it's just going to hit them.

I just think the stun jacket is a huge gimmick that's not really worth the time investment because of how situational it is. You have to:
- Counter (very risky for palu) something without hitting them
- Avoid shielding anything
- Hit them with a move that's actually worth comboing with

I don't know. It just feels like stun jacket (atleast, for palu) isn't very reliable and will just make you tunnel vision into trying to get a jab confirm.

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
I was thinking the same thing but now I think the stunjacket could be mad helpful.
First, granted: Missing a counter could put you in a bad spot. Some moves that activates the stunjacket though are relatively safe to counter (Bayo's BA and Ike's Up B).

Once the stunjacket activated though, you don't really have to worry about follow ups: TL;DR Jab1 combos into every moves Palutena has at high % (above 85%). As a bonus, Dthrow leads into all aerials (Dair included) and even Usmash.

Furthermore, the stunjacket makes people's attacks less safe on shield I think because of the extra frames of lag they have.
But yeah, you don't have to tunnel vision Jab1 at above 90% even though its a guaranteed kill (jab1>Usmash/Fsmash) and you probably conditioned your opponent to grabs before hand...

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Furthermore, the stunjacket makes people's attacks less safe on shield I think because of the extra frames of lag they have.
Care to explain this bit? By "people", do you mean opponents?

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Also, I heard from a good Palu-main friend of mine that d-throw is weird and it gets affected by the stun jacket unlike other throws. Can someone confirm this?

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
Care to explain this bit? By "people", do you mean opponents?
Your opponent gets the 16 frames of the stunjacket lag if he attacks your shield so you have frame advantage I think.

And yeah, Dthrow gets affected by the stunjacket. That's the reason why Dthrow > Dair is guaranteed with the stunjacket.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Your opponent gets the 16 frames of the stunjacket lag if he attacks your shield so you have frame advantage I think.

And yeah, Dthrow gets affected by the stunjacket. That's the reason why Dthrow > Dair is guaranteed with the stunjacket.
Ah, nice. Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify things, does Palutena get stuck in stunjacket lag if she hits a shield?

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Well, seems like there is a vid that goes more in-depth with this tech.

The maker of the vid also provided a google doc that contains a list of moves that can trigger the stunjacket tech.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r5H6OR1bVTPKJlahFGPmEYdEHvbSP_4eoDilO9Hw4tI/edit

In my opinion, this tech is definitely not something that you should rely on all the time, since Palu's counter is slow to begin with and a lot of the moves that trigger the tech aren't really things that you can expect easily. Still, it is very useful if you somehow trigger it and Bayo's bullet arts and Ike's up-b are moves that are used quite often anyway.

Hopefully, this gives us a little more edge.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
This seems neat! It's cool that there's new tech (in this case, probably an unintended bug lol) still being discovered

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
This seems neat! It's cool that there's new tech (in this case, probably an unintended bug lol) still being discovered
It's definitely cool and awesome to find this kind of stuff, even the unintended ones.

Now all we gotta do is find the secrets of wavecheating and fun-cancelling in this game. :disco:

Last edited:
Top Bottom