• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling

Sabeta

Smash Cadet
Something about the 3DS in general has me really struggling to play this game well, and since I intend to main Shulk I decided to ask around here. In Brawl I got really good with an unorthodox setup, I used the Wiimote + Nunchuck, where Down on the D-Pad was jump, and the other Directions function as a C-Stick. A/B remained unchained, and I had Shield/Grab on the Nunchuck.

Nothing the 3DS does comes even remotely close to this arrangement though, so I'm kind of at a loss. All of the characters feel unnaturally clunky and I can't even beat L9 bots at the moment. (In a MM, the other Shulk's moves will ALWAYS outprioritize mine, and I can never get shield up in time, nor can I even get Vision to work 90% of the time)

I wouldn't say I was amazing on the Wii version, but I was good enough to win a few local tournaments. I mained Olimar and could reliably Whistle Armor succesfully whenever I wanted to (which makes me think Vision must have less than 16 frames, if I'm still missing the timing) I like to play competitively to a degree, I never try to go to big-name tournaments, but I'd like to be able to win locally again. Before I can even consider that though, I've got to at least get better than the bots

Sorry, if this seems like wining or complaining, but I've been beating my head against L9 bots and online since release, and I haven't really made any improvement.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
It helps to get a grip for your 3DS I guess. A bunch of people at the GameStop I pre-ordered at were buying them but I decided not to. I think I made a mistake as I still struggle a bit with the buttons too, and I am a longtime GCN controller user.

It also could be that Shulk was not meant for you. I had the same realization when Duck Hunt, who I intended to main, was not really my style of play. I have been playing a lot of Shulk too and I still have trouble memorizing all of his arts. I like Shulk but my big thing is that the arts wear off too fast and it feels like I am constantly changing it up. I wish it either wore off slower or it stayed as long as I wanted it to stay and I could change it whenever. It's not like Shulk is overbalanced as it is anyway, I don't get why they didn't do it like that....

Sabeta

Smash Cadet
The playstyle suits me just fine, but I tried my old main Olimar, and I really hate the changes to him. One huge pile of nerfs imo. Not a whole lot of other players really appeal to me much either, although Bowser Jr. might be really fun.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
They did nerf Olimar. At GameFAQs everyone was talking about how the new recovery and three Pikmin only was a buff. Lol. Olimar was rather campy but now he is looking pretty irrelevant to the game.

I'll still put time into Shulk because I never mained a sword user and I am interested in doing that. I mostly play four player and I think with his range and power he will be a contender in that mode of play.

Something about the 3DS in general has me really struggling to play this game well, and since I intend to main Shulk I decided to ask around here. In Brawl I got really good with an unorthodox setup, I used the Wiimote + Nunchuck, where Down on the D-Pad was jump, and the other Directions function as a C-Stick. A/B remained unchained, and I had Shield/Grab on the Nunchuck.

Nothing the 3DS does comes even remotely close to this arrangement though, so I'm kind of at a loss. All of the characters feel unnaturally clunky and I can't even beat L9 bots at the moment. (In a MM, the other Shulk's moves will ALWAYS outprioritize mine, and I can never get shield up in time, nor can I even get Vision to work 90% of the time)

I wouldn't say I was amazing on the Wii version, but I was good enough to win a few local tournaments. I mained Olimar and could reliably Whistle Armor succesfully whenever I wanted to (which makes me think Vision must have less than 16 frames, if I'm still missing the timing) I like to play competitively to a degree, I never try to go to big-name tournaments, but I'd like to be able to win locally again. Before I can even consider that though, I've got to at least get better than the bots

Sorry, if this seems like wining or complaining, but I've been beating my head against L9 bots and online since release, and I haven't really made any improvement.
The 3DS may feel awkward for some players. It didn't take long at all (5 seconds) for me to get used to it. You might be better off waiting for the Wii U version because you can actually use the gamecube controller or the Wiichuck combo there

(Spacing characters are way better with the c-stick)
It helps to get a grip for your 3DS I guess. A bunch of people at the GameStop I pre-ordered at were buying them but I decided not to. I think I made a mistake as I still struggle a bit with the buttons too, and I am a longtime GCN controller user.

It also could be that Shulk was not meant for you. I had the same realization when Duck Hunt, who I intended to main, was not really my style of play. I have been playing a lot of Shulk too and I still have trouble memorizing all of his arts. I like Shulk but my big thing is that the arts wear off too fast and it feels like I am constantly changing it up. I wish it either wore off slower or it stayed as long as I wanted it to stay and I could change it whenever. It's not like Shulk is overbalanced as it is anyway, I don't get why they didn't do it like that....
Personally, the arts duration is perfectly fine and Shulk's fine as he is right now. I've been doing great so far with him. Also, the cooldown on his arts are really negligible since all arts offer different ways of tackling players

Last edited:

Sabeta

Smash Cadet
I plan on getting the Wii U version, but I've already got this version so I may as well enjoy it while I can.
Thanks for taking the time to try and help though, I guess I'll just keep smashing face against bots until I figure something out.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace

I remember being a Wii+Chuk user for Brawl doing it for a good year until having the derp realization GCN was compatible with Brawl. . .then I quit maining MK & quit using the Wii+Chuk setup.:facepalm:

If you're at a loss as you say, I'd do what berserk01 suggested & wait for the WiiU version to further improve yourself in the game. It wouldn't just be for the GCC either, you can use the Wii mote controls you had setup for Brawl for 5mash so no worries. I'm not getting the 3DS despite having a first-time feel of the game playing Shulk. I had little problems with it because I was adjusting but still. . .the control setup sets me back preventing me from using my full potential. Especially with the 3DS' circle pad's feel, it's a hindrance.

What you posted isn't really whining / complaining, it just looks like an honest post is all. If you're determined to improve yourself before 5mash releases, then that can be a goal to prep yourself for the HD that will be hotness. Good luck & Thanks for Playing~

Top Bottom