• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategy Against Dairs

sage2001

Smash Rookie
Hello I'm new to playing smash bros but I've been using ness and Zelda. While I'm on the stage I'm always get hit by Dairs from Toon link, Lucario, and G&W. I tried doing my Up tilt attack or UP smash attack but to no luck. Is my timing off or do these characters have a higher priority?

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Don't try out-priortizing any of their dairs with your Usmash or Utilt, because you can't. For Toon Link and G&W, dodge and punish. For Toon Link, you should spot dodge and Dsmash so you don't get blown away by the aftershock like you would if you rolled. For G&W, roll away and Fsmash. For Lucario, just avoid his Dair. There's no punishing it, because he can dish out another one just as quickly, and his dair has no landing lag.

sage2001

Smash Rookie
Kayzee, Ok thanks for the advice. For Lucario I find myself faking as if i'm going for the Utilt, dodge and do a quick fair. What aftershock occurs if you were to do an Fsmash instead of a dsmash? Does this occur to all players or just Zelda

S2

Smash Lord
Zelda's upsmash outprioritizes nearly every d-air.

There are, unfortunately, a few that it doesn't. Most of the d-airs that cause the player to go flying straight down at high speed will out prioritize Zelda's upsmash (so G&W, Toon Link, etc.) as well as a few random other ones.

Against these, you'll want to roll away. or avoid and then hit them while they are in the landing lag. Certain ones like Toon Link's d-air cause him to bounce if he hits your shield, so be careful of that.

Avoid and counter. You'll just have to keep track of which air-moves outprioritize the up-smash. There aren't a ton of them, but still, you don't want to be up-smashing into something that's going to get you hurt.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Kayzee, Ok thanks for the advice. For Lucario I find myself faking as if i'm going for the Utilt, dodge and do a quick fair. What aftershock occurs if you were to do an Fsmash instead of a dsmash? Does this occur to all players or just Zelda
The Fsmash is slower than the Dsmash, and you might get pushed back before you can connect it. The aftershock pushes any character away from Toon Link if they're close enough, but not close enough to get hit by the sword.

Top Bottom