• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategies against Megaman?

Professional_Bird

Smash Rookie
NNID
ParkerAtriumEDM
Every time I play against a megaman, I always seem to have a buttload of trouble getting in close to him (which I guess is expected) and he's by far my worst match up. Do you guys have any strategies or ideas to getting around megamans projectiles? Most of my trouble comes from his uair, I find it extremely frustrating to get back on the stage once they start spamming that tornado.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
I played one last night, I've had success with this setup a couple times:

Throw an uptilted gordo in front of you, he wil begin to try to mega buster it back at you. Jump over your gordo and smack him with a fair or nair, then keep your combo going from there (I killed him at 20% by smacking him off the stage with fair and immediately down smashing him).

Otherwise healthy doses of f-tilt and grabs when you can. Mega Man is tough but as long as you don't let him smack you with f smash or uptilt he has a lot of trouble killing DDD.

On the subject of the up air, if one hits you do not panic. DI down and stop jumping until the hitbox and windbox are completely gone. As a heavy, Mega Man has a much harder time roofing us with it than someone like Luigi or other floaty characters. Never try to land coming down on mega man, just go for the ledge and get up safely.

Last edited:

Professional_Bird

Smash Rookie
NNID
ParkerAtriumEDM
I played one last night, I've had success with this setup a couple times:

Throw an uptilted gordo in front of you, he wil begin to try to mega buster it back at you. Jump over your gordo and smack him with a fair or nair, then keep your combo going from there (I killed him at 20% by smacking him off the stage with fair and immediately down smashing him).

Otherwise healthy doses of f-tilt and grabs when you can. Mega Man is tough but as long as you don't let him smack you with f smash or uptilt he has a lot of trouble killing DDD.
I like this strategy! I'll give it a shot!

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Mega's #1 killing move against you is Bair. Expect it when he does his floaty double-jump mixups above you, shield, punish.

Otherwise he's going to try to Fsmash you when you're off the ledge. Mix up your recovery with fastfalls, floats, and delays UpBs to keep him guessing. Never get up onto the ledge when the Fsmash is almost fully charged; just fall down and float a bit until he has to shoot it, then UpB back onto the stage.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Remember the megaman Matchup is dependant on you keeping your calm. You should be behind the entire game, especially from good megamans.

You need to approach from the ground. Slowly and precisely. Think of it the same way as brawl matchups vs Falco, where you approach and go for your grabs. When you get in range, throw out DOUBLE jab. If you hit the second jab, cancel the third jab, and go for a grab.

When Megaman is offstage, go for it, and go for it hard.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Interesting to note is that Gordos actually destroy the Crash Bomber.
Sadly, the same cannot be said for his Metal Blades or lemons.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Against megamans that don't know how to use the buster to reflect I love holding onto the metal blade and tossing gordos.

Other than that though competent megaman players always give me trouble. I just do every single thing I can to make sure they don't zone me. Though I know that's easier said than done. Lots of sprinting and perfect shielding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom