• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages with special filters

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
In Melee and Brawl there where stages that flatted the graphic, making the characters looking like 2D figures by any angolation.
Would you like if the next game has stages with more advanced filters, making for example the characters in toon shading or turning their sounds into 8-bit noises?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It wouldn't be completely fitting for the game itself, but it would be funny to see a Rolling Western stage with a grainy filter and sepia filter

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
^A classic! You understood what I meant.
And besides, there is still Sheriff as western char.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, maybe...

I understand what you mean, but I wonder how much effort it would take to make it work.

Regardless I think the stages in this game will be beautiful, especially considering what BlazBlue has shown us in regard to stage design.

nessokman

Smash Lord
No. It would be data sakurai could be using to butt **** the competitive scene with idiotic features such as tripping.

:phone:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
No. It would be data sakurai could be using to butt **** the competitive scene with idiotic features such as tripping.

Right! In a ice stage every one could be tripping. But obviously, the very weird ones would be a minority.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think a simpler and more likely filter would be to have the characters shown as silhouettes on a Sunset Shore stage from Donkey Kong Country returns. The characters would be all dark, with the exception of their trademark clothing items remaining highlighted

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In Melee and Brawl there where stages that flatted the graphic, making the characters looking like 2D figures by any angolation.
Would you like if the next game has stages with more advanced filters, making for example the characters in toon shading or turning their sounds into 8-bit noises?
It could be a nice touch to some stages, indeed.

take the Pirate Ship, for example, the characters kinda looked weird when combined with the cel-shading on the stage.

that 8-bit noises would be funny in stages like the classic Mushroom Kingdom or other 8-bit themed stages.

of course, those stages would be in minority, like what happens with those that have the 2D effect. only 3 stages in the entire SSB series had this effect, being both Flat Zones and Hanenbow.

as long as it stays a minor easter egg for a few stages, this would be a nice idea.

Hmm, maybe...

I understand what you mean, but I wonder how much effort it would take to make it work.

Regardless I think the stages in this game will be beautiful, especially considering what BlazBlue has shown us in regard to stage design.
there's absolutely no doubt about your last point. from the trailers for games on the Wii U (particularly Pikmin 3), I think we're going to have visually stunning stages.

And that's why you're one of the greatest minds of our time. >_>

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think a simpler and more likely filter would be to have the characters shown as silhouettes on a Sunset Shore stage from Donkey Kong Country returns. The characters would be all dark, with the exception of their trademark clothing items remaining highlighted

Like an ipod silouette? Uhmmm... I dunno. It would be kinda confusing in team matches.
I had thought about a water filled stages with low gravity and all movements slowed down, but Sonic would not be amused (It still might work in the story mode).

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
And how about some general graphic filters to make the characters fit the stage the better?
In serious stages the texatures will look detailed and the colors realistic while in the funny stages the texatures will look blurred and the colors more vibrant. With all that stays in the middle.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

I pretty much agree with this. Sunset Shores is the first stage that comes to mind when we start talking about filters and special effects. I'd also throw in a Paper Mario stage. I think each character with a thick white, paper outline would be a nice little touch that would set that stage apart.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm gonna second the Sunshet Shores "silhouette" filter idea, and the Paper Mario-esque one. That's a great angle to approach filters, and having very unique-looking character designs be stage specific for a Paper Mario stage would be awesome!

Top Bottom