• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
A big question I've had is Lucario in relation to stages. Project M does have a heavy emphasis on stages, so I feel a discussion is in order. I'll lend my two cents, but I rather hear from some of the more seasoned Lucs out there like what everyone's bans/picks are and where they feel he performs best. Of course, many picks are character dependent and when you are choosing a counterpick be wise to who you are taking where. Aka, don't take a Marth to Battlefield.

In my opinion, Lucario does need some space, he doesn't perform well in cramped stages, and it doesn't take advantage of his mobility, but not too large so that the opponent can escape strings and reset the situation. Platforms can serve him well, and benefit his aerial strings while supplying protection and a nice mobility boost coupled with down-b. I mean, you're no dorf, but platforms are pretty chill.

Space and Platforms? A couple stages come to mind, Pokemon Stadium 2 and Smashville. I feel these two work as good neutrals with the right balance of space and mobility.

Battlefield would suit that category nicely, platforms are a nice height, blast lines are decent, space is good. I just feel other characters get more out of it than Luc. But, yes, it is good and perhaps even great.

Final Destination is nice, but I feel the space is rather excessive, but personally, I am very comfortable with this stage and find myself going here often with consistent success. Yes you can camp, but you won't. This isn't brawl.

Not too fond of Yoshi's story, cramped with small blast lines. You can do some wall jump gimmicks, but I feel it lacks redeeming qualities. And then there's Randell.

Dreamland is not bad. Dem blastlines b cray tho.

This brings us to Fountain O' Dreams. Personally, I do like this stage for some bizarre reasons. I like the platforms, a lot. Yes, it is on the small side, and probably has many bad qualities. But I do feel comfortable there.

Now for the counterpicks,

First of all, **** Skyloft. Those stairs are not cool.

Pokemon Stadium, with the modifications it has from Project M, it ain't half bad. Plus you can force approaches if you use your taunt to get aura while behind hazards during some of the formations.

Now, Lylat Cruise, I have many mixed feelings about this. Space is good, platforms are good. It no longer ****ing moves, so that is good. If you're comfortable here, go ham, in fact, go salami.

Skyworld, *shrug* Got nothing.

Space and a moving platform? Look no further than Green Hill Zone. I myself don't like going here very much, but I have seen other Lucarios favor this stage.

Yoshi's Island, Randell 2.0. Input please.

And last but not least, Wario Ware. Interesting platform placement, and small horizontal blast lines. You can grab some very early kills, and nice strings. Space is a little lacking.

Holy text batman. If you made it this far I'm sorry. Would love to hear from other Lucs other than my stupid self.

Mario Blanchard

Smash Rookie
For starters I always enjoy going to Smashville, PS2, Dreamland, fountain of dream or battlefield.

-Smashville, PS2 and Dreamland is nice and big to run around and set up, the platforms are nice and i feel comfortable doing combos their. I always try to go here if possible
-FOD is a bit small but i feel like if you get a solid combo going you can kill them much faster and if the platforms move just right you can keep a combo going longer then normal.
-Battlefield i feel is just a solid stage. platforms and space is just right and the blastzones feel far enough to recover from almost anything that doesn't instantly blast you. but close enough that any solid combo or set up can kill.
But this is all is based on who im playing against. like you said birdman don't be that guy who brings Marth to battlefield, good bans are always important.

As for counterpicks i have no clue.

I have no clue if this is right or not but this is for sure how feel from playing.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
i always pretty much ban lylat, fountain of dreams (the platforms mess up my extremespeed cancels more often than not) and sometimes ps1 or battlefield depending.
ps2 and FD are my favourites for lucario, and i like dreamland. i'm not a fan of smashville for some reason, it's not a hated stage and i'll go there if i have to but i will rarely pick it, you know?
i actually love skyloft! once you learn to work around the stairs its no big deal and i actually love them for dtilt, and the odd platforms for aerials. i especially like it in doubles.
i think i'll be more comfortable on battlefield once i really get wavelanding down and get my platform game improved.

while i definitely agree he needs a lot of space i am a big fan of green hill zone. i like the platform for tiny breaks if i can get them. i dunno why but it's the only smaller stage i really like for lucario.

(also, i dig the levi avatar)

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
The Stage you pick should more or less determine how you want to play the matchup against your opponents character. Lucario has a fairly large number of ways to move about the stage so I don't see certain shapes benefiting him more or less. However pick larger more flat stages if you prefer to play the runaway and stage control game, whereas I would stick to a stage like FoD or Warioware if you are about the early kills and keeping constant pressure.

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate the input from all, gonna redo the head post a bit, turn it into a more guide-ish type of deal showing different opinions for each stage.

@ Mario Blanchard Mario Blanchard :
FOD is a bit small but i feel like if you get a solid combo going you can kill them much faster and if the platforms move just right you can keep a combo going longer then normal.
Yes.

@ bec bec
while i definitely agree he needs a lot of space i am a big fan of green hill zone. i like the platform for tiny breaks if i can get them. i dunno why but it's the only smaller stage i really like for lucario.
Yeah, I notice Frozen takes people there, and I was wondering how others felt about it. Good to to see it might be a nice choice.

(also, i dig the levi avatar)
I dig your digging of the levi avatar.

@ AbstractLogic AbstractLogic :
The Stage you pick should more or less determine how you want to play the matchup against your opponents character. Lucario has a fairly large number of ways to move about the stage so I don't see certain shapes benefiting him more or less. However pick larger more flat stages if you prefer to play the runaway and stage control game, whereas I would stick to a stage like FoD or Warioware if you are about the early kills and keeping constant pressure.
I like this, and I couldn't agree more, pick the stage to dictate the play style of your choice to go about a matchup.

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
My favorite stage to play on with lucario is dream land, if you cancel a down B, with a down air, you can recover from basically anything that doesn't blast you off the stage. Fox can't upsmash you to death at 80%.

I hate playing on these 3 stages with lucario
1)Yoshi Island The lower boundries of this are so small, I can't do my offstage shenanigans without dying to the blast-zone at the bottom, if it were more like final destination, I could recover back to the top if the blast zones were a bit more generous

2)Lylat Cruise I just don't know how to sweet spot the ledge on this map. I suicide every time i try to sweetspot it.

3)Wario-ware for the same reason as Yoshi Island, except its a bit more acceptable as far as lower boundries go. I auto ban Yoshi and Lylat every game I play.

Top Bottom