• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4's Roster: Final Discussion and Attack of the Clones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
It feels necessary to create this thread in order to address some of the biggest issues people have with SSB4's hypothetically FINAL roster. The main problems I'm going to address are people's beef with the clones, the lack of the Big 3, and the griping over the newcomers. I'd like to preface this by saying although I'm not really down about the inclusion of R.O.B., I think this is quite possibly the best roster of any Smash. So let's dive in.

On the subject of clones, while I'm not in favor of their inclusion, this is what I think people aren't grasping: clones are an effective way to deliver more content to the players while still abiding by the confirmed release date of the game. IMHO, the Mii's are just as detailed of characters (aside from models and animations) that the Big 3 would be. Had it been my decision, the Big 3 would take priority over Mii's and the Mii's would be relegated to DLC if they were in fact included at all. In addition, the clones actually do have somewhat altered movesets (Aside from Dr. Mario who is essentially reskinned). Lucina is supposed to have her power focused more in the full length of her blade, rather than how Marth's power is all in the tip of his blade. Dark Pit retains some of Pit's original moves from Brawl, while also having some of his own unique moves and palette swaps. So in this case, I think the clones are justified.

As far as the cuts go, I don't really think any of the cuts are a big deal. Lucas' moveset can combine a little into Ness' and have a sort of hybrid moveset, maybe with a Lucas alt if Sakurai is really feeling it. While Wolf was a proper series villain, he was more of a clone than our 3 new clones are. Ice Climbers were introduced to the series as an ambassador of Nintendo's 8 bit era, and DHD accomplishes that niche just as well, despite the Ice Climbers being somewhat of a series staple. I'd also like to point out that all the veterans are buffed. Sakurai wants to make all characters strong, not nerf ones strong in past games.

These newcomers are FANTASTIC. But I think we all know that, so I'm gonna use this final paragraph to talk about the ultimate fate of our beloved Big 3 (Dixie, Ridley, Mewtwo). Allegedly, a "trusted source" from Nintendo has confirmed that syncing the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game UNLOCKS THE BIG 3. If this is true, and I hope to God it is, then that's an incredibly smart move on Nintendo's part. Especially if there are no photo or video leaks of them being played in Smash (I'm sure Nintendo's on their toes about it now), then people will absolutely flip once Nintendo reveals it. And once Nintendo reveals it, people will go absolutely insane for it and boost sales of both versions phenomenally. So I think it's a good move. Thoughts?

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I disagree on the clones. Dark pit is the cloniest of clones ever made, and worthless filler. He is visually indistinct, his character is indistinct, especially for the purposes of smash bros. I would rather the final roster have one less character (d.pit) than I would want his inclusion. It just doubles my chances of having to use or fight pit in a random battle and accomplishes virtually nothing else. Dr.Mario is essentially the same, but not quite as bad.

I understand the point and place clones have in the roster, but these make no sense. Why waste time putting in Dark Pit and Dr.Mario when you could have instead kept Wolf, who if far more original as a character and deserving? Why on earth would they not have been alt costumes?? Alph and the Koopalings show a perfectly acceptable precedent in this matter, so why randomly have these two take up actual selection slots? There are so many better options for clones they could have went with.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I disagree on the clones. Dark pit is the cloniest of clones ever made, and worthless filler. He is visually indistinct, his character is indistinct, especially for the purposes of smash bros. I would rather the final roster have one less character (d.pit) than I would want his inclusion. It just doubles my chances of having to use or fight pit in a random battle and accomplishes virtually nothing else. Dr.Mario is essentially the same, but not quite as bad.

I understand the point and place clones have in the roster, but these make no sense. Why waste time putting in Dark Pit and Dr.Mario when you could have instead kept Wolf, who if far more original as a character and deserving? Why on earth would they not have been alt costumes?? Alph and the Koopalings show a perfectly acceptable precedent in this matter, so why randomly have these two take up actual selection slots? There are so many better options for clones they could have went with.
That's true, although I think Dr. Mario was more of a nod to Melee than anything else. As for fox, I mean if we did HAVE to have clones I'm sure most people would prefer it be Wolf. Having never really been a fan of Wolf, I didn't take much thought to him in that regard. Dark Pit is essentially a palette swap which is very lazy, and I think 3 Kid Icarus characters might actually be too many considering he's only had 1 game other than his NES debut. So yeah... Dark Pit is kinda shameful. I wouldn't feel too bad for maining him tho. Dr. Mario may very well end up being my main due to his on point combo game.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
That's true, although I think Dr. Mario was more of a nod to Melee than anything else. As for fox, I mean if we did HAVE to have clones I'm sure most people would prefer it be Wolf. Having never really been a fan of Wolf, I didn't take much thought to him in that regard. Dark Pit is essentially a palette swap which is very lazy, and I think 3 Kid Icarus characters might actually be too many considering he's only had 1 game other than his NES debut. So yeah... Dark Pit is kinda shameful. I wouldn't feel too bad for maining him tho. Dr. Mario may very well end up being my main due to his on point combo game.
I think Dark Pit was blatant, ad hoc favoritism towards KI on Sakurai's part. Why not disregard the integrity of the roster and desires of the fans to fluff up a non-KI game with needless KI content? And bear in mind I had no issue with Palutena. I would have been fine personally with only Pit again, Pit plus Palutena was fine, but D.Pit? 3 KI reps is bad, but worse still is D.Pitt McClone face. Is his default costume even going to be distinguishable from Pitt's black alt? Is their hair color different and nothing more? It's terrible.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I suppose in consideration of the alts, the only true difference is slight in their moveset and their hair color, as well as their final smash I think. I mean until KI gets a Wii U game I dont think we ought to be getting this many reps from ONE game. It would be like getting 3 characters from Xenoblade Chronicles (but I guess Sakurai didn't work on that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom