• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta SSB4 Falco Matchup Discussion 07 - Captain Falcon - Bluebirds Story

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I'm having quite a bit of trouble stopping Falcon's approaches. Lately, the good falcon's I've been facing weave in and out with pivot dashes, dash trotting, or straight up running and shield-stopping. While this makes it harder to respond with shield grabs, I feel the bigger problem is I can't really stop the rush down.
Short-hop into nair seems to get cancelled out by his dash attack while reflector can be shielded and punished because of end lag. Only decent option I have would be jab, which can also be cancelled out by his dash. I'll try avoiding the approach completely and roll or spot dodge sometimes but this puts me in an uncomfortable position because falcon will just turn and do his 3 hit jab.
When I have distance on him, I feel like I'm a brick wall about to be smashed by the hulk. When I'm close, it feels like my first is getting crumpled by his head.
What do you feel are the best ways to soften up the falcon's approaches and trump the 3 hit jab combo?
This match-up is something we've all said is just generally bad for our Pilot. Approach from Falco's end should actually be a rarity. Capt's speed really makes it easy to punish you. In the nuetral, I find short hopping as much as possible with the bair ready to force him back away. Stay back, space with jab 1 and 2 and possibly the dtilt as well, as if to say "keep back". Switch between these quickly and remember to throw in the 1 or 2 lasers every once in a while to keep Falcon on his toes. These movements seem work well with most rushdown types.

I played this match-up with a really good Smasher on 4Glory the other day and it's still obvious Falco can't keep up with Capt's overall speed and his ability to punish. I would say learn a secondary to counter his match-up. Falcon dittos are still very fun.
If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
DI ing his down throw is essential for Falco on this matcchup, since Falco is one of the characters that naturally gets send off to some of the most favorable angles for Falcon to follow with Upair and even the Knee.
Also if you're getting juggled by a Falcon, don't commit yourself, fast fall into the ground inmediatly unless you know you can punish him with Bair or Fair.

BluQTips

Smash Rookie
Well, it definitely seems like Falco's not going to win the punish game. Quite a few tips to minimize Falcon's strengths, but where do you think Falco's strengths lie in this match up?

One thing I try to abuse is Falco's edge guarding. Side-b and up-b give him 2 long range recoveries, and he has good edge guarding tools along with the best vertical jump range. If I try to steer the battles towards the edges of the stage, I tend to get more favorable positions because of falcon's limited off stage recovery.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
If you can manage to keep Falcon offstage, edgeguarding is where Falco really shines.
If you manage the read a fair offstage is a quick gimp. Outside of that Capt really blows him away in every category. A really good Falcon is going to juggle you like oranges every chance he gets.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
As a Falcon and Falco main here are my tips.
-Don't use lasers. They can be punished and can even cost you a stock. Same goes with Shine.
-Nair Nair Nair. It's lagless and really nice for baiting out a shield grab
-Falcon is EXTREMELY easy to gimp. Even a Fair can kill a stock. Learn to get Dair consistently and this matchup feels like a 90/10 Falco favour
-If Cptn Falcon whiffs a knee or stomp, punish it as hard you can.
-Try to gentlemen with Falco. His rapid hit can be mashed out of and punished.
If you stick to these things, you can easily overcome any Falcon, but overall I think this matchup is 55/50 in Cptn Falcon's favour due to his speed, and combo game.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think this is in falco's favor. falcon is fast but he can be easily punished, and his recovery is god awful and very easy for falco to gimp. falcon also has few options when he's sent in the air, like upthrowing him, and then getting under him and shielding leaves him with almost no recourse. falcon only wins this with gimmicks and mind games. don't fall for the airdodge bait and get kneed, remember that falcon's nair is lagless and hard if not impossible to shield grab. remember that he can teleport grab you from across the stage. Basically Falcon gets more mileage out of an opening, but he shouldn't be getting very many openings.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
This reminds me a lot of MK vs Falcon. Basically, Falcon will completely dominate you the longer you stay in a fair, "neutral" fight. It is imperative to constantly force the fight off stage or at the very least uthrow him to continue pressuring his bad landing options. Get beastly and consistent with your ledge trumps. Bair, fair, and dair that recovery. Bait the fear airdodges. Learn to tech like a god so you can survive if the edgeguarding goes awry and he upBs you against the stage wall. Falco loses neutral so bad that you need to make each non-neutral moment count, whether it is converting edge guards into a kill or at least putting as much pressure on his landing as Melee Falcon does with tech chases.

Laser is basically not worth using on any fast character except in very special circumstances such as edge guarding lol.

Falcon is tall so thankfully short hop nair and rar bair remain as good options. His jab is downright stupid though, it will cut through your jab 2 if you give literally 1 frame leeway as aforementioned.

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
I feel like this matchup is 55-45 in Falcons favor.

If you continue to apply mass pressure you can win. Sometimes i shoot lasers, but that's really looking obsolete lol, so i constantly pressure him.

If he's recovering just jump off the ledge, and spike him if he's recovering high. If low just back-air him to force him to tech, and then DJ to side-b.

Falcon sweeps you if you're below the edge obviously. You're a sitting duck. Falcons in neutral just want to suck you in to their grab the leave you with scars, so i think changing the pace is the key to this matchup.

M@v

Subarashii!
Have we talked about this mu at all since 1.08? I feel falco's fair and nair OBLITERATES Falcon now, but he still runs circles around falco in neutral. I really dont know what to think of this mu. It feels hard on stage, but at the same time one good fair and that's a stock off Falcon.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
This mu is pretty weird; falcon really dominates us in neutral, but hitting him offstage normally results in a stock.

In theory, falcon shouldn't lose neutral, and should thus win the mu. But if he's making mistakes, falco can have a pretty easy time.

Cyro

Airborne
Have we talked about this mu at all since 1.08? I feel falco's fair and nair OBLITERATES Falcon now, but he still runs circles around falco in neutral. I really dont know what to think of this mu. It feels hard on stage, but at the same time one good fair and that's a stock off Falcon.
This mu is pretty weird; falcon really dominates us in neutral, but hitting him offstage normally results in a stock.

In theory, falcon shouldn't lose neutral, and should thus win the mu. But if he's making mistakes, falco can have a pretty easy time.
Right. I honestly feel this MU is in Falco's favor now. Mind you, he's my secondary. I also have a bunch of experience against Falcon, with getting the chance to fight both TearBear and Fatality.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
I'm thinking Falcon is tall enough that RAR FF Uair could be a thing in this matchup, and a rather useful one at that. Anybody tried it or have much success?

Daybreak502

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EricAJ
As weird as this may sound to other Falco mains this is my number one favorite matchup to play in the game. I'm not a super top level player in the Michigan scene but Iv taken many games and even sets off Some of the best Falcon players around just because I feel so comfortable in the matchup

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
Yo what's your tag? I'm active in the Michigan scene as Jpot. I too love this matchup because Falcon is just so easy to gimp.

Also, RAR UAir doesn't really work, the hitbox doesn't extend as low on the back as it does on the front. SHFF UAir is as useful as ever, though.

Last edited:

Daybreak502

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EricAJ
Yo what's your tag? I'm active in the Michigan scene as Jpot. I too love this matchup because Falcon is just so easy to gimp.

Also, RAR UAir doesn't really work, the hitbox doesn't extend as low on the back as it does on the front. SHFF UAir is as useful as ever, though.
My tag is Daybreak I go to most of the weeklies in Southfield. And yea i love the matchup I do really well against Falcons like I took a game off Oblviions falcon and has a close set with ExJORDANary

Top Bottom