• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Aerial Down-B action delay

MonopolyLegend

Smash Rookie
There is a horrible delay after the animation of this attack finishes that oftentimes stops you from jumping or using recovery options. It is best demonstrated by testing for yourself, but you can see it happen in this video below (linked to specific time) where the completely competent Squirtle player seemingly mistimes his UP-B recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzIC-JyxGIo&t=2m48s

Is this intended or a bug? In either case, how do you guys feel about it? IMO it makes the move extremely limiting as both an offensive off-stage attack (which is a shame, because it pushes people downwards) and as a recovery tool. :|

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
I think it might be on purpose tbh. Maybe just so squirtle can't go super deep for gimps and throw out multiple bubbles. I'll admit that the delay has screwed up my own recovery but it's more of me not adjusting to the delay before acting again.

@Strong Bad can you confirm if it's intentional? It seems suspect, it being an accident.

cmart

Smash Lord
Bubble is pretty laggy in general, but the video just looked like Reflex missing the input. I'll investigate regardless.

MonopolyMan

Smash Rookie
Bubble is pretty laggy in general, but the video just looked like Reflex missing the input. I'll investigate regardless.
Yea, that's the idea. It looks like he missed it, but it's actually due to the delay, most likely. In all the experiences I've had with it, it looks like the animation is over, but it won't let me jump or use any other recovery options...died many a time that way.

cmart

Smash Lord
Looking at it, you appear to be mistaking the cooldown for aerial fall. It does look quite similar, and something that could be cleaned up. You can act when Squirtle's tail lifts fully back up.

Iceshard

Smash Rookie
Looking at it, you appear to be mistaking the cooldown for aerial fall. It does look quite similar, and something that could be cleaned up. You can act when Squirtle's tail lifts fully back up.
Slightly off topic but do you know what they changed with Squirtle in the newest update? I've noticed his up-smash has a longer range now but is that it? Thanks if you know the answer!

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
This is entirely on purpose and needs to be in the game as far as I am concerned. If squirtle didn't have the period of inactivity in the air following bubble the move would be completely broken for gimping recovering characters. If you have a strong handle on aiming waterfall to recover then you can still get some very deep bubbles out safely.

Top Bottom