• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Sponsorship advice.

Blunted Affect

Smash Rookie
Hey, I just want to start off by apologizing for making an account since I don't actually play Smash, lol. This thread is more of a "general video game tourney sponsorship" thing. If that doesn't fit here, I apologize for wasting all of your time.

Anyway, a bit of context. Me and a handful of people I know have set up a few fairly large tourneys for another game together in the past- the last one we hosted had over 60 guilds with over 200 players total. This time we decided to shoot even higher and get actual sponsorship. I ended up asking one of my friends who was a dev for a fairly popular early access game that raised over $100,000 on indiegogo if we could have around 80$ worth of game keys to give out as prizes in return for advertising his game on stream (I'd have asked for less, but the game itself is fairly expensive for an indie game and we need a certain number of keys minimum).

Anyway, the reason I'm posting here is because a lot of the people behind the tournament talk *constantly* about how Smash tournaments are pretty good examples of how "professional" game tournaments should be run, and the community here seems pretty accessible.

What I want to know is if anybody here has had experience staffing a tourney can answer this question:

What is the best way to give sponsors the bang out of their buck without having it be disruptive and take the fun out of the stream?

The dev team behind the game that's going to sponsor us hasn't really given us any specific instruction, which is understandable since they're neck deep in crunch time trying to keep up with content updates for their game- but it means we basically have to figure out how to advertise them ourselves.

I've thought of several solutions for this- such as streaming the game during intermission, reading adverts, incorporating official art of the game into the stream overlay, and using a custom skybox during the tourney advertising the game. We also have access to an artist and video editor, so creating any kind of visual advert for the stream wouldn't be much of a hassle either.

My problem is that even if we were able to do all of that, I still cant see it justifying $80 worth of game keys in my head. One of the last tourneys we had- the one with over 200 players that for special reasons we were able to advertise to about 33% of the game's entire player base and then some- consistently got between 60 and 200 viewers at any given time. Because we wont have the massive advertising power we had then, the viewer count this time around could be a bit lower.

The tourney this time around will be 2 days long, lasting at least 12 hours total. Assuming that we still have at least 60 viewers at any given time, would we be able to really fulfill our end of the bargain? Or are we just insanely in over our heads and should back out while we can?

Last edited:

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
What you have described sounds good to me. The specifics might be useful, IE is the target audience of their game aligned with your entrants/viewers? etc, but in the grand scheme of things, $80 of game keys is almost nothing. Throw it up on the overlay, shoutout the game during downtime, play a vid before top 8 or finals or whatever, and you're golden, IMO. If I had something to promote I'd take that deal every time.

Top Bottom