• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Spoilers] Observations for Smash 5 Ultimate Pikachu

Will Pikachu be a larger threat in Smash 5?

• Yes. More of a threat

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No. Less of a threat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he is the same

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No idea LOL

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Waluigi for smash 5

• Snake's botty though...

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Day 1 fanboys everywhere, Day 2 dropped for Sheik

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • BOOTY ARRRRRRRRR

• REEEEEEEEEE

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
The following contains information observed from first hand experience and observations of gameplay.
There will be lots of incorrect information included in my speculations. Every word should be considered with discretion and skepticism.
This information applies to the E3 and post E3 demo builds of Smash 5, NOT the
official release of the game that is planned on December 7, 2018.

First, there is a lot of hype for Smash Ultimate and we can count on a lot more footage to be released.
  • smash Special (Ultimate)
  • smash 3DS & Wii U (SSB4)
  • smash X (SSB Brawl)
  • smash Deluxe (SSB Melee)
  • Super Smash Bros. (SSB64)
Second, I only got about a few hours of :ultpikachu: Pikachu gameplay and only tried the rest of the cast a few times

Link to Pikachu Dischord
(will be creating a new smash ultimate server for :ultpikachu: on game's demo release!? There is talk that :ultpichu: Pichu will be a different server)

[REQUESTS]
* Call me out if some information is incorrect or very correct! I am not 100% sure!
* Upload your Ultimate Pikachu gameplay to the internet
* Create your own analysis or frame data list for Pikachu
* Let us know if there is some frame data repository for Smash 5! such as kurogane hammer or data viewer for smash 4
* Respect and discuss with other Smashers! Share the knowledge! Share the love! We are a family.
* Let me know in the comments if there are any video clips or in-depth analysis you have seen
[Help Wanted!] >>>Big event tournaments/exhibitions highly coveted. Full streams are super appreciated.<<<
* It would be cool if this could all be translated to Japanese but... why? So I can post this on the Japanese Smash Boards page.

1. Pikachu's moveset in Ultimate featuring Void
  2. List of most noticeable changes in Smash Ultimate Pikachu {https://www.ssbwiki.com/Pikachu_(SSBU) || https://youtu.be/5W2DDHEjpKc?t=316}
  3. Pikachu's moveset in Ultimate with slow-motion by Alex
  4. Buffs across the board for Pikachu. From the E3 demo, I would say :ultganondorf: Ganon and :ultzelda: Zelda were buffed the most. :ultpacman:Pacman and :ultkirby: Kirby were also buffed heavily from Smash 4 to 5 in terms of raw stat/frame data increases. :ultmegaman: Megaman got serious range buffs and his objective has changed from Smash 4. From Brawl, :ultpokemontrainer: Pokemon Trainer was heavily buffed.
  5. It looks like Pikachu will not be changed too much on release. His model looks very polished and his move set pretty much complete. (Unlike other characters available in the demo, such as Fox and Ridley, who require updates, buffs, and tweaks)
  6. Ultimate Pikachu highly resembles Smash 4 Pikachu

[Movement Speed]
  1. Run speed: Pretty much the same as Smash 4 :(
    • This is overall a nerf to Pikachu as slower characters are buffed. Fox and Captain Falcon have the same deal.
      • May also apply to Sonic
        • If Sonic's speed is still vastly superior to the majority of the cast and he keeps his strong tools and current frame data, then I do not see him being anywhere lower than top tier. In Smash 4 the gap between #1 and #2 in terms of speed is huge (30%? difference in run speed)
    • A fighter's strength is heavily influenced by their movement speed.
      • If a fighter's speed is abnormally high, they have a huge advantage.
      • Conversely, relatively average or slow characters will be at a disadvantage versus quicker opponents.
  2. Air speed: Pikachu moves faster! :) A huge change.
    • Post 64, :pikachu64: Pikachu has been well known for his great vertical movement and terrible sideways movement.
      • In 64, Pikachu is one of the faster characters while grounded and airborne; very fast overall.
    • A strong airspeed will greatly improve his defensive and offensive capabilities.
[Jab, Dash Attack, Tilts]
  1. Jab: :GCN::GCA:
    • Deals 1.1-1.4% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles
    • Still one of the worst jabs in the game (since melee). Even less damage than Isabelle's jab which does 2.5% each.
      • Jab was actually decent in 64 since it had so much hitstun
      • Why is this jab bad?
        • Answer: It will almost always put Pikachu in a disadvantageous state
        • Terrible range
        • Not safe: lots of end lag and no hitstun
        • No damage
        • No followups
    • Pretty similar to Smash 4 :urg:
      • Seems to be a frame 2 jab
      • Also, jab locks and footstools have been nerfed
        • New mechanic: footstools are techable.
        • Jab locks limited to 2 in SmUsh instead of 3 hits in Smash4 (not that big of a change from Smash 4)
    • Jab confirmed to have increased range in comparison to Smash 4
    • Platform drop and lock setups are not available (according to ESAM)
      • I am not exactly sure which scenarios he is talking about
    • Also, jab still has near 0 hitstun and terrible range
      • Most characters can still beat it out by mashing jab or a quick attack unless knocked off stage/a platform.
      • Like in Smash 4, Jab grab or Jab Dtilt are not true combos into each other. This will only work if opponent is scared or you catch them dropping shield.
    • Jab uses: Ledge pressure, close-quarters interruption, grounded locks
  2. Dash attack: :GCR::GCR::GCA:
    • Deals 10.2-13.8% damage on sweetspot while fresh in 1v1 battles
    • Buffed! :)
    • Much lower ending lag. It (pretty much) is smash 4 Game and Watch's dash attack. It has very low end lag (even lower than Brawl Pikachu's dash attack) I really like this change and having some kill power is just icing on the cake.
    • It has enough knockback to be considered a kill move and will kill most characters after 130%. 150% for the heavier ones :joyful:
    • Dash attack uses: Killing, catching landings, very low percent combo starter, combo finisher
  3. Dtilt: :GCD::GCA:
    • Deals 6.2-7.6% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles
    • Animation on this move is different from Smash 4 as well
    • Haven't tried using this move too much
      • Felt the same as Smash 4 Dtilt for me.
      • Knockback and knockback angle didn't seem all that different. Has a chance to trip opponents. Confirmation please.
    • Dtilt uses: footsies/poke tool, combo starter, ledge pressure, spaced shield pressure, med-percent tech chase starter, combo extender, grounded locks
  4. Utilt: :GCU::GCA:
    • Deals 5.2-5.5% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles. Then 4.5-4.7% then 4-4.2%
      • I have seen an Up Tilt deal 6.3% damage while Dark Samus was charging a down tilt
    • Pretty much the same and a solid combo starter (into Utilt, Dair, Uair, Nair, Bair, Thunder).
    • It does deal less damage than Smash 4 so it will be more reliable for combos. GREAT!
    • I think the range is a tiny bit larger since he hops up a bit during the animation but I could be wrong. Confirmation please.
      • If the range really is larger, and that feature survives to release, then I will be very happy :)
        • Aside: 64's Utilt is so disjointed it is actually broken (like many other Utilts and silly hitboxes in the Smash 64 game)
          • But 64 Kirby's Utilt... oh baby
            • Best grounded anti-air in the entire smash series
              • You can easily 0 to death off 1 Utilt. Very fast, safe, humongous disjoint.
            • I would give 2nd place to Brawl Metaknight's Shuttle Loop
              • Invincible on the ground, huge hitbox, quick, powerful, and puts you in glide immediately (pretty safe with mixups)
                • MVP Daddy Sakurai treatment right there
    • Utilt uses: combo starter, combo extender, catch rolls/enemy behind
  5. Ftilt: :GCR::GCA:
    • Animation change with an electric kick animation.
    • We did it boys... Strong up angle Ftilt deals 11.4-12% damage in singles. That's a kill move.
    • Mid angle Ftilt deals 9.5% damage while fresh in singles
    • Note: In Ultimate, dragdown Fair is inconsistent and opponents popping out is more likely than in Smash 4. Nair is very consistent for dragdowns in Ultimate, thanks to it's huge hitboxes.
    • Ftilt uses: footsies/poke tool, combo finisher, situational out of shield option
[GRABS]

-New mechanic: all grabs can be teched. If both players grab at the same time, they both cancel each other out and each character suffers about 1% damage-
  1. Pummel
    • Deals about 1.2% damage
    • Similar to previous iterations. Honestly nothing to write home about
      • The animation is a bit more expressive than previous iterations.
        • *Turns on heavy metal music*
          • -ELECTRIC HEADBANGING ENSUES-
  2. standing/dash/pivot Grab: :GCZ:
    • Pikachu grabs an opponent and holds them in one hand. Pikachu forms a fist with his or her free hand.
    • Pretty much the same :) Solid options in Smash 4 and Ultimate demo. Now players will have to find how to convert off grabs.
    • Universal nerf to grabs: Grabs have more end lag and are generally less rewarding than in smash 4
  3. F throw: Stage control
    • 3 hit move
      • Deals about 12.6% damage in total (5%, 2%, 5.6%)
    • Buff for singles?... Harder to DI, but it's not a kill throw... has increased vertical knockback. Probably cannot tech chase anymore...
    • Very fast. Animation is even faster than 64's :pikachu64:
      • Will not be useful in doubles for footstool setups any longer
    • Fthrow's knockback angle seems to be fairly similar to Ultimate Ness' Fthrow
  4. B throw: Stage control
    • Deals 9.4-11.4% damage while fresh in 1v1
    • Kills after 150% near the ledge. Similar knockback power to Up throw.
      • PLEASE SAKURAI, EVERY CHARACTER NEEDS AT LEAST 1 KILL THROW. Except the joke characters :denzel:
  5. U thow: Alternate combo throw. (Usually?) better at higher percentages.
    • Deals 8.4% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles
    • slight nerf from Smash 4?
      • I felt that uthrow upair and thunder was a bit harder to follow up with. It may because I have not practiced.
    • U throw may actually be Pikachu's best throw overall in Ultimate. Needs testing. Of course having two consistent combo throws is a plus.
    • In smash 4 Uthrow killed most characters around 200% and light characters around 170% with rage.
      • In Ultimate, Pikachu's Upthrow kills most opponents that are over 150%
    • Pro tip: If you miss an up throw to thunder combo, make sure to take note of the opponent's DI so you can prepare for it the next time you get a grab.
      • Knowing the percentages for the kill confirm will help you land this move consistently.
      • Up throw has combos. If used at low-mid percentage, take note of the opponent's DI and try to keep thunder fresh until kill percentage.
      • There is a percent window where Up throw to grounded/walk thunder will receive the cloud spike combo while jump thunder will not; and vice versa.
  6. Dthrow: (Main?) low percentage combo throw
    • Deals 5.3% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles
    • Pretty much the same as Smash 4.
    • I didn't have anyone to test if it is a DI trap on any inputs so someone please LMK. confirmation please
      • Pro tip: Best to use the down throw DI trap when Pikachu is facing AWAY from center stage (towards the blast zones) while opponent is in kill % for thunder or jump thunder
        • Opponents who DI inwards on Pikachu's Dthrow fly straight up. This trick works because opponents will usually want to DI towards the stage to decrease knock back from Back throw
[SMASH Attacks]
-
all smash attacks can be charged for much longer than previous games-
  1. Usmash: :GCCU:
    • Deals 13.7-15.4% damage of sweetspot, 7.4% with sourspot while fresh in 1v1 battles
    • Buffed! we back in business bois. Looks like we got our frame 8 Usmash back! :laugh:
      • Well, I'm not 100% sure on frame 8. I hope it's not frame 10 like in Smash 4. Confirmation please.
    • Unfortunately the knock back is decreased. :troll:
      • However, that means it is a bit easier to follow up with thunder (still a challenging followup).
        • As an aside. I have no idea why they nerfed the knockback to the extent that they did, but I'll take it if Fsmash stays as it is.
          • Poor demo Fox. His Usmash was also nerfed and his specials are very poor.
    • Doesn't seem like it has armor or intangibility/invincibility on the tail.
      • Did not see any invincibility on this move
    • Inexplicably hits below ledge
      • Very good for punishing ledge hangs (when your opponent runs out of invincibility)
    • Also looks like the bad weak hitboxes are generally fixed? Confirmation please.
    • Usmash uses: combo finisher, killing, catching landings, ledge pressure?, out of shield option (jump cancel)
  2. Dsmash: :GCCD:
    • 6 hitboxes
      • Deals about 2.1-2.5% each with the final hit dealing about 3.2-3.8% while fresh in 1v1 for a total of around 13.7-16.4%
    • Buffed slightly
    • End lag is less than Smash 4 but damage was reduced.
    • I've heard people say it's good as a landing trap. I highly doubt that.
    • This move was designed for catching rolls.
    • If SDI is less of a factor, then opponent will not fall out as much. That is a great change.
    • The animation looked almost exactly like Smash 4's (RIP breakdance Pikachu).
    • This move does not combo into Thunder and is still regarded as a bad move.
    • Should only be used when unsure which direction the opponent will be while next to you
    • It felt like a bad move to me. Shockingly bad.
      • I WISH they could combine 64 and Brawl Dsmash. That would be hella awesome.
        • Sakurai... if you could make Pikachu's Dsmash into Young Link's grounded up special... that would be amazing...
        • First half would be Ultimate Mario's Dsmash animation that kills and the second half would be Brawl's downsmash. It is a multi hit attack that launch straight up to set up. Then it has low end lag.
          • That would look so amazing as an actual breakdance move. Would be amazing out of dash.
            • Would resemble Melee Peach Dsmash usage if that were the case
    • Dsmash uses: catch rolls, catch landings
  3. Fsmash: :GCCR:
    • Deals 12-15.1% damage (uncharged), 21.8-23.8% (1 second charge) while fresh in 1v1 battles.
    • Buffed from smash 4. very powerful knockback. Otherwise, pretty similar. :love:
    • Has 5 frames more ending la
      • Fsmash is now much easier to punish on whiff and block
        • Due to increase on shield drop frames Fsmash may still be safe when spaced on block
    • More active frames than Smash 4?
      • Seems like sweet spot is much easier to hit
    • Drastically more reliable than Smash 4 in kill power.
      • Basically Brawl Fsmash with more startup and end lag
    • Fsmash uses: Killing, catching landings, ledge pressure,
  1. Fair: :GCY::GCR::GCA:
    • 5 hitboxes
      • The first four hits deal (about) 1.5% damage and the last deals 4.5% for a total of 10.5% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles
        • Then 1.3-1.4% damage per tick and the last hit deals 4%
    • Buffed? Good neutral option for zoning and the last hit has more knock back than smash 4.
      • It is much more likely to KO! :)
        • Still needs testing on how much characters can fall out of this move
      • IMO the knockback and angle of Ultimate Pikachu's Fair seemed very familiar to Smash 4 Little Mac's Ftilt
    • Still equipped with disjointed hitboxes. Nice.
      • Hitboxes of Smash Ultimate Pikachu's Fair are similar to Smash 4
        • Weird hitboxes located near the head with the large final hitbox reaching a bit past most of his body and head.
          • Still no hitboxes on tail and feet.
          • Tough luck Smash 4 crowd, Pikachu can still get jabbed out of cross up Fairs.
    • Smash Ultimate Fair is much less reliable, when compared to Ultimate Nair, for starting combos
    • Smash Ultimate Fair is much less reliable for followups when compared to Pikachu's Fair in Smash 4
    • Drag downs are easier to do since SDI is less prominent. DECONFIRMED
      • Fair has lots of landing lag when not auto-canceled
        • Seems to be about -7 frames on block (not safe on shield due to massive landing lag)
        • Most characters can mash a quick attack or shield grab before Pikachu can attack, similar to Smash 4
          • Both Ivysaur and Isabelle's Nair seem to have this landing lag problem
      • Apparently it is harder to escape Fair with SDI in Smash Ultimate
        • Yeah... SDI gods easily got out of Fair strings in smash 4 (SDI Up and in/away depending on Pikachu's drift) but normal DI was more than good enough to reduce combo strings. Hopefully this won't be nerfed.
    • Fair uses: zoning, combo starter, combo extender (dragdown), combo finisher, edge guarding, catching jumps, landing, sharking platforms
  2. Bair: :GCY::GCL::GCA:
    • 6 hitboxes
      • Deals 1-1.1% damage per tick and 4.2% damage on the last hit.
      • Seems to have a landing hitbox, like in Smash 4
    • Buffed. Easier to auto-cancel (don't have to full hop or use from very high up to autocancel like in Smash 4). A bit safer as a landing option than in smash 4.
    • Animation change on final hit from Smash 4
    • Has less end lag and has a shorter duration/animation than Smash 4
    • Functions much better as an OOS option than in 7r4sH Smash 4
    • Since Ultimate Bair seems have lower knock back and landing lag, it creates a chase scenario
      • Will be much easier to followup at lower percentages when landing with it.
      • You will most likely follow up with dash attack (safest option), but you could go for grab, quick attack, and Up smash as well.
        • Or you could be a mad lad and react to your opponent.
          • ABSOLUTE UNIT
        • The absolute safest option would be a thunder jolt chaser
    • This Bair change in ultimate is pretty much what I expected, but not what I really wanted.
    • Power is less in ultimate but the move has increased usability than smash 4.
    • Still a solid edgeguard option when applied correctly
      • Personally, I feel this move is usually outclassed by Nair offstage. Depends on what kind of recovery you are trying to edge guard
        • If people are ready for Nair then they might get thrown off by Bair and vice-versa
          • But everybody knows Pikachu wants that frigging Dair
      • Not sure if we have a 1 hit (or any meteor smash frames for that matter) semi-spike hitbox on Bair like in Smash 4.
        • It was used for trading with recoveries with hitboxes. Very difficult to pull off though since the hitbox is tiny.
    • Bair uses: edgeguarding, tech chase scenarios, combo finisher, landing, temporary hitbox size reduction, out of shield option
  3. Uair: :GCY::GCU::GCA:
    • Deals about 6.2-6.3% damage fresh in 1v1 battles. The sour spot deals 4.5%-3.4% damage.
    • Seems the same :glare:
    • Did not nearly have enough time with this move to feel a big difference. Hopefully someone can get back to me.
      • Seems to deal 4-5 percent per hit. That's a great damage buff. Knockback on Uair has no KO potential by itself.
    • IDK but pika mains gonna have to figure out the unique properties of ultimate uair
      • Pika's uair hitboxes are always different in every game jeez.
      • 64 (super disjointed, combo city, and godlike) -> melee (gimp city, combos) -> Brawl/Smash4 (combos) -> SmUsh (???)
    • Still does not auto-cancel while landing :(
    • I am disappointed. My unhappiness is immeasurable and my day is ruined. But I can deal with it.
    • Uair uses: combo starter, combo extender, combo finisher, catching jumps, platform sharking
  4. Nair: :GCY::GCN::GCA:
    • 4 hitboxes
      • Deals about 1.6-1.8% damage per tick with the last hit dealing 3.3-3.4% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles
        • Then 1.5-1.7% and 3.1% for a consecutive hit
    • Buffed from Smash 4. Completely new Nair for Smash Ultimate Pikachu. Pikachu's most useful/best [in Ultimate] move in my opinion.
    • So we sorta got Mewtwo's Nair but shorter duration.
      • I have received reports that both Pikachu and Mewtwo's Nair both last longer ON HIT.
        • The footage I have seen seems to confirm this.
      • At first I was very scared for Pikachu's huge loss of KO power [like 64 (godlike)-> Melee (nerfed) -> Brawl (buffed) -> smash 4(nerfed) -> Ultimate (???) ]. Then I tried it and confirmed that it was pretty easy to auto-cancel and combo with it. :cool:
      • It can be a situational combo breaker
        • Looks like the hitbox comes out at frame 3? It is between frame 3-5. NEED CONFIRMATION
      • If fastfall Nair to footstool is not a Mewtwo :150: exclusive, that would be epic.
        • Imagine all the locks we could possibly get on different cast members... skull bash lock and quick attack lock would be sick (though extremely hard to pull off like in Smash 4). Did not nearly have enough time to play with it.
        • Skull bash bounces Pikachu on hit, no idea if it can lock
        • Confirmed that thunder jolt still locks opponents in Smash Ultimate
      • Was able to confirm Nair to grab, all tilts, Dsmash, Usmash, Instant dash attack on stage.
        • Apparently Nair dragdown to Usmash is a true combo, even up to 200%
      • The combo potential is variable and a lot of it is not true so lots of practice required for sure (lots of characters can shield a Usmash after the drag down).
      • I think reverse Nair approaches are pretty good.
      • Nair OOS is good and Nair is also a good tool for landing. People have to respect this Nair up close due to its giant hitboxes.
      • Overall I think it is a buff since the new Nair has more usage as a combo starter, combo extender, situational combo breaker, OOS option, possible kill confirm, and edgeguard tool (like Mewtwo).
      • Very solid edge guard option as there are followups
      • For ledge trapping... it's pretty good!
    • Nair uses: landing, combo starter, combo extender, combo finisher, out of shield option, edge guarding, ledge pressure, shield pressure, catching jumps
  5. Dair: :GCY::GCD::GCA:
    • Deals 13.6% on strong hit of Dair 1 10.7-12% on the weak hit of Dair 1, 3.7-5.1% Dair 2 while fresh in 1v1 battles
      • Then 9.4% for weak hit of Dair 1, 3.4% Dair 2 when used consectively
      • I have seen Dair deal 14.4% with rage (Pika has 117%)
    • Pikachu's meteor hitbox on Dair is active for 3 frames
    • Buffed! Spikes at the beginning. It's Luigi's Dair. Not Cloud's Dair for heaven's sake.
      • Pikachu's Diar is very similar to his Smash 4 variant
      • What do you mean "Pika's head is a sword?!"
        • Uhh boss, DK and Mario's head's have sword hit boxes
          • But Pika's tail is not a sword?! IT'S ANIME AS EFF. Pikachu spammed Iron Tail like it was going out of style for over 7 seasons! That monster tail KO'd legendary pokemon 10x bigger than himself! The little bugger even reflect death bombs and challenged hyper beams with that tail. And it's still attached to Pikachu so he must the devil, leet h@XX0rZ, or a witch!
            • Uhh boss, this is a Nintendo CHILDREN'S GAME. Logic doesn't work here.
              • ... They KILLED Luigi
                • Fox, Donkey Kong's, and Luigi's legs are SW-
                  • THAT'S ENOUGH! GOODNIGHT!
    • Pikachu's Down Air spike is ganondorf's Dair spike in Smash 4
      • Has the same spike animation
      • Kills opponent off the level at 30%, similarly to Smash 4 Ganondorf
      • According to GimR, spiking a grounded opponent is NOT techable.
        • Therefore, it may be possible to hit confirm this into Thunder
      • The knock back of this spike is very strong in the current build which is huge. :grin:
        • Did not expect this and got exactly what I wanted! So many smash fans have been waiting for this change since the 64 days!
    • Down throw and Up tilt can combo into double jump Dair with the correct DI. Apparently it is a great kill option when opponents are at ledge near 60%
    • Can still auto-cancel with buffered short hop.
    • The spike hitbox can be teched and can possibly lead to a combo if not teched
    • Dair uses: Killing, edge guarding, ledge pressure, combo starter, combo extender, combo finisher, landing, shield pressure, out of shield option
0. Final smash: A buff. Now a lot faster. It has hit box issues with characters falling out consistently.
  1. Neutral Special: :GCN::GCB:
    • Aerial thunderjolt deals about 4.6-5% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles
      • I have seen a few aerial thunder jolts deal about 7.5% in a few 1v1 battles
    • Buffed
    • Grounded thunderjolt deals about 6-6.3% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles
    • Thunder jolt is active for around 2 seconds, which is similar to Smash 4
      • Thunder jolt will bounce 7 times on the ground before disappearing from a short hop
    • Apparently aerial neutral special does more damage and the startup animation lag was reduced on grounded neutral special. :)
      • So this means it is even more rewarding when spammed (correctly) and also much better for ledge trapping.
        • I felt like it was about the same as smash 4. I only really used the aerial version.
      • Will be good for edgeguarding, coming back on stage, and conditioning/testing reaction and finding an opening like grab (the usual suspects). That's okay with me. Same old neutral special.
      • Still has very low priority and can be beaten out easily with good timing
      • Worth testing if magical platform teleportation glitch works from smash 4
    • Neutral special uses: zoning, ledge pressure, shield pressure, landing coverage, situational combo tool, grounded locks, catching landings
  2. Up Special: :GCU::GCB:
    • Deals around 3.5-3.8% damage while fresh in 1v1 battles
    • I have received lots of feed back and opinions that Quick Attack was NERFED HARD.
      • There is an increase in knock back making it an unreliable combo starter on most of the cast. especially floaties, with good DI. DI and percentage are big factors in Quick Attack combo potential.
      • Quick Attack cannot cancel on platforms, slopes, or ledges
        • It may be able to cancel on moving platforms, but there has been no definitive confirmation so far
      • Quick Attack will not pass through shields DECONFIRMED
        • It is still much like smash4 BUT in the demo it is actually a combo starter. Even more legit than Smash 4 Quick attack. Smash 4 jump cancelled Fox illusion level combo starter but you can influence the direction.
    • There are some arrow icons (takes player's color ex. p1 is red and p2 is blue) during the attack to show the direction Pikachu is traveling.
      • This may just be a feature for testing & debugging as many other moves have the arrows pop up. Such as Corrin's dragon fang shot.
      • If it stays, Ness will probably keep that arrow pointers that also appear on his up special. Might be added to Pichu and Lucas' as well, but the trailer showed that Pichu's quick attacks do not have arrow pointers.
      • The pointers can actually be detrimental. Opponents CAN watch for and REACT to the arrows to see the execution and direction.
    • No double input of the same direction still :( like :ultgreninja: Greninja's up special.
      • I wish they would fix up special to have double inputs
      • The SD's keep on coming... #WeTakeThose #Gratis #BattleScars
    • Quick attack lacks invincibility as well. It's not as broken as Quick attack cancel from Brawl and there's no infinite combo lock.
      • I love 64's quick attack. Has 20 frames of startup invincibility, which makes it the most free get out of jail free card ever. It can still be punished with good prediction.
    • Combo ability seems to be similar to Smash 4
      • Very weight dependent, although floatiness and directional influence also effect knockback.
    • Hopefully they removed the janky hitbox enlargement from Smash4. Need confirmation.
      • Man Pikachu's hurtbox became HUGE while using the move! You know how many times Pikachus have died from spikes and wacky shenanigans due to the hitbox shifting?!?!?
    • Up special uses: recovery, out of shield option, low percent combo starter, landing, movement/escape, retaking stage control
  3. Side Special: :GCR::GCB:
    • Deals 7.4-8.3% damage (uncharged) while fresh in 1v1 battles then 7% then 5.6-6.5%
    • Slightly buffed. :)
    • If this move hits anything with a hitbox (including characters and shields), Pikachu will bounce off instead of dropping to the ground.
      • The buffs have made it less risky to try and edge guard with this (NOT recommended as it is easily reactable; speed and range are not very good).
      • (Another trick: it can be a risky and technical but useful when buffered out of edge hop. You bounce of their shield and you have a fake out because you still have your double jump. similar to marth dancing blade).
    • Charges faster and travels less distance than smash 4
      • I can see why people would call the decreased travel distance as a nerf.
        • It is very handy to travel far to boost your chances of recovering.
        • Going under the stage with skull bash is less reliable
      • In my opinion, I see the shortening as a buff because you usually do not use side special to recover and you often ran into a powerful hit. Smash 4 skull bash was so slow and vulnerable that it was usually used as a mixup or when Pikachu is too far offstage for quick attack.
    • Still a very vulnerable move to use
      • I did not see armor frames anywhere
        • This move does not travel very quickly
        • I got what I expected and am sad
        • With the new bounce on impact mechanic, I can see certain characters intentionally jump into the path of skull bash to push Pikachu back into a more disadvantageous position
    • Side special uses: recovery, shield pressure, movement/escape
  4. Down Special: :GCD::GCB:
    • BUFFED?!?!?! So... this move is STUPID stupid strong. :eek:
      • Deals 5.7-9.6% from lightning bolt (first hit) and 9.3-18.9% (second hit) on lightning strike / thunder smash. For the cloud spike thunder combo, I've seen total damage from 18.9-26.4% in 1v1
      • Knockback increased from Smash 4. Can kill most of the cast at 70% near the ledge and 60% on light characters or offstage.
        • Think Ultimate's :ultsheik: bouncing fish, :ultpokemontrainer: Charizard :006: Fair, or :ultganondorf: uncharged Fsmash in terms of knockback
      • The weaker hit of just the lightning strike is also fairly strong and has a much better chance of stage spiking and killing raw compared to smash 4 (similar, but not quite as comparable to Brawl).
      • Comes out frame 1? Confirmation needed so it may still have combo breaking potential.
      • The cloud distance appears closer to Pikachu than it did in smash 4.
        • The cloud hitbox still meteor smashes opponents downwards.
      • The hitbox size and active frames of the lightning bolt are similar to Smash 4.
        • Hitbox of the lightning bolt is narrow/skinny, but balanced by it's height
      • When the lightning bolt strikes Pikachu there are invincibility frames, just like in Smash 4
      • Pikachu still does not have an option to use regular thunder (that spawns from the top of the blast zone) so it looks like we still will not have consistent thunder spiking off the top :(
      • Not sure how many active hitboxes are on thunder so when G&W is released y'all know the drill and please go test that bucket out.
    • Down special uses: Killing, edgeguarding, combo finisher, combo escape, sharking platforms, recovery coverage mixup

[My personal opinion on Ultimate Pikachu]

*How good is Pikachu exactly?

From what I have seen, he seems to be set for mid to high tier once again.
However unlikely, it is possible that he may be on the low end of top tier. This all depends on Pikachu's match-up spread with the top tiers.

Almost all of his conventional characteristics from his strengths to weaknesses are in play.
Nothing drastically new added or taken away from his game plan.
However, the speed of the demo and unfamiliarity with kill confirms has made him a relatively easy to defeat opponent if one can catch him and zone him out right now.

All in all, Pikachu’s neutral and punish game has been drastically improved from Smash 4.
He moves more fluidly, punishes harder, and his combos link better with rage taking a back seat (less prevalent).
Allegedly, Rage CAN be removed as it is a toggle-able rule-set option in the game.

After, extended peer-to-peer deliberations, I have changed my mind on Pikachu's neutral game.
I have come to the conclusion that Pikachu's neutral game is not that much better than in Smash 4.
It may in fact be weaker (in theory) due to the buffs to the rest of the cast.
Let's take a look:

Nerfs to Neutral tools

• Pikachu's movement speed is not all that spectacular relative to most of the cast. Very huge nerf.
  • Quick attack is much easier to deal with and is not as rewarding as previous iterations. This is huge.
  • Grab and Fsmash end lag increased. Noteworthy because fishing for these options is even less safe.

==============
Buffs to Neutral tools
  • Ability to dash dance well and perform attacks out of a dash. Very strong neutral tool. However, the entire cast can do this.
  • Grounded thunder jolt has less cooldown. Noteworthy. Helps in neutral if opponent does not a great reaction time for power shielding.
  • New Nair is great at providing pressure. A very rewarding move.
  • Dash attack much faster and safer to use. Significant, but not too big for neutral.
  • Bair has less ending lag and is much safer to use. Significant, but not too big for neutral.

Much like Sheik, rage shortened or cut off combo strings.

The general nerf in defensive options, along with Pikachu's frame data buffs will make his strengths a larger X factor than before.
Pikachu’s weakness in kill power are less pronounced than in Smash 4.
Fair, Thunder, and Dair’s knockback have been increased which means opponents will be sent offstage more often and Pikachu will kill much more often off of raw hits. Fsmash and thunder are now consistent kill options.

From first impression, I felt Pikachu's neutral has been slightly improved from Smash 4. He moves faster in the air. His Bair autocancels better, Nair links into many combos, quick attack is still a great get-out-of-jail-free card, Dair can still combo on both weak hits and its strong hit, and there is run cancelling which allows Pikachu to use his Dtilts and Utilts out of a dash (Possibly Fsmash as well?).

The change in air dodge mechanics has dramatically increased edge guard opportunities compared to Smash 4.
However, Pikachu will not be as great as 64-Brawl at edgeguarding due to Smash 4 ledge mechanics returning.

A big part of what made Pikachu much less relevant in Smash 4 than in all the other games were how many characters can recover so easily.
Pikachu is an edgeguard fiend and, historically, has heavily relied on edgeguards for the bulk of his early percentage KOs.
Historically, Pikachu has always had an edge guarder's pedigree; being one of the strongest edge guarders in every smash title.

NOW Pikachu can force most of the cast into bad positions with frame traps. Force opponents to avoid something with an air dodge then punish the air dodge end lag with something else. Pikachu has the speed to catch up. Thunder, thunder jolt, and his aerials are very strong option for frame traps.

On the rush down side, he will excel at chasing down and staying on top of his opponents more than any of his other smash iterations due to his air speed buff, Nair, and quick attack properties.

The change in mechanics greatly help Pikachu suffocate opponents as disadvantage states are increased (more shield stun, shield drop frames, diminishing returns on defensive options, one airdodge etc.)

Pikachu's punish game will not be as great as 64 nor his quick attack as great as Brawl, but Pikachu can perform well when mastered.
As getting out of disadvantage state is one of Pikachu's largest strengths I think Pikachu can live for a longer time than most of the cast if he can avoid kill confirms and deal with being pressured.

His camping gameplan and zoning ability received a tiny buff with less lag on grounded Thunder Jolt, but is relatively the same. None of his aerials or specials really have the low risk option and push back to keep shields at bay.

Gosh though, some matchups will absolutely hate dealing with grounded T-Jolt spam, unless they are consistently power shielding.
In these matchups, it will help skilled Pikachu players hold onto their percentage lead while find holes in an opponent's defense.
Spamming thunder jolt is soooo boring but sooo good at providing coverage.

Weaknesses:
0. High learning curve. A technical and combo heavy character. Dies easily and struggles to kill consistently. Performance is heavily skewed with skill.
1. Still a VERY light character and will most likely be one of the top 10 lightest in the cast. Dies very early.
2. Low range
3. Struggles to kill consistently. Considering Pikachu's low range and priority, this is a big issue as he will often lose trades and fuel the opponent's rage, making it easier for the opponent to KO Pikachu.

Strengths:
0. Very versatile character with many play styles. Can play both campy and rush-down well. Employs many mult-hit attacks that generate lots of pressure and can throw off an opponent's ability to shield and tech attacks.
1. Quick movement speed
2. Great and diverse edge guarding design. One of the strongest in the game
3. Small character that is hard to hit
4. Great combo game
5. Amazing recovery ability. Pikachu has a better than average disadvantage state. Has a relatively easy time recovering safely and without much risk.

1. Bayonetta
2. Luigi
3. Villager
4. Pikachu
5. Mewtwo
6. Jigglypuff
7. Lucas
8. Zero Suit Samus
9. Sheik
10. Mario
11. Metaknight
Common approach:
As Pikachu, most people will immediately rush at their opponent due to Pikahu's high mobility and though it is not a bad tactic, people will expect it.

* Rush down:

1. Pikachu runs in and opens up with an Nair or grab. Other openers include other dash attack, quick attack, thunder jolt, Dtilt, Utilt, Fair, Dair, Bair.
Risky as a game starter, but a particularly effective move against large characters and slow zoner characters due to speed advantage and high followup potential.

Example Scenario 1: Pikachu and Kirby spawn on opposite ends of Final Destination. Both characters run at each other then initiate a Fair. Let's say that in this case Pikachu's Nair comes out faster and hits Kirby. The dragdown effect of Nair allows Pikachu to grab Kirby and follow up with combos after the throw.

2. Pikachu runs into their shield to check for a reaction then backs off or attacks.

A bold and uncommon strategy. Effective against scared players and as a mix up after conditioned to shield attacks. This works due to the new mechanics where characters cannot run past a shield.

Example scenario: Last match Pikachu and Kirby ran at each other and attacked. To counter this, the Kirby player decides to shield preemptively. The Pikachu player, guessing that this may happen, runs into Kirby's shield keeps running. The Kirby player rolls back in surprise and Pikachu punishes the roll's end lag with an Uptilt out of dash, which leads to Pikachu combos and puts Kirby in a juggle position.

* Capturing middlegrounds

1. Pikachu runs/quick attacks into the center and holds it for strategic advantage. A solid, non-committal opener for most situations. Thunderjolts provide coverage to get to the center. Proceed to dash dance, approach, or zone. Zoning will generally consist of throwing out Fairs and thunder jolts in neutral.

The most neutral opening play. From this position, Pikachu can bully opponents into the corner, try to catch any aerial escape options, and play around any approach options and projectiles.

Example scenario: Pikachu and Robin spawn on opposite sides of Smashville. Robin decides to charge his/her lightning tome attack while Pikachu ledge cancels a Quick attack off of smashville's moving platform. Then Pikachu proceeds to fire a few thunder jolts before approaching. The thunder jolts are all perfect shielded and Robin fires off an Elthunder as Pikachu approaches. Pikachu narrowly avoids the elthunder by crouching under the attack.

* Backing off:

1. Pikachu takes to the corner.
This strategy is the least likely to happen but has its merits when an opponent has reason to threaten Pikachu. Pikachu can thrive at ledge with zoning attacks, run past the ledge and return with a rising aerial, and quickly zip past opponents to take stage control with quick attack. The safest move you can make.

Example scenario: Young Link and Pikachu start a match on Battlefield. The last game, Young Link ran off the starting platform and Zairded while Pikachu ran off the platform and tried to shield on landing. The Zair connected on Pikachu and allowed Young Link to follow up with a grab, which then lead to a Dthrow to Nair combo.

To avoid this situation a second time and other similar initial exchange variants, such as boomerang throw, the Pikachu player decides to back off seeing that Pikachu loses that exchange. The Pikachu player has enough room to to avoid any of young link's attacks and if the Young Link player runs in recklessly, Pikachu will be able to retaliate, bait, or run away.
* If you're auto-piloting or get tunnel-vision then good luck. People have habits and you should have prepared reactions for their preferred option(s).*
  • Go to/catch all: Cover multiple options but most importantly covers neutral getup consistently unless getup is timed perfectly (tight window).
    • >Lets you safely figure out what your opponent's preferred ledge getup option is! Pay attention!<
    • Short hop Dair
      • Can potentially cover everything. Very scary.
      • Covers roll if you're ready to react with a fast fall (2nd hit of Dair)
        • Must be drifting back
        • If you auto-cancel when the roll starts, go for a dash attack or grab
      • Watch out for ledge attacks
    • Grounded/full hop thunder jolt
      • Stay at a safe distance to avoid retaliation and enable reactions
        • Cover roll with Utilt or a Usmash
      • Requires good timing and familiarity on placement for thunder jolt snipes
      • Can spam versus some characters' recoveries
    • Shield >Lets you figure out what your opponent's ledge getup option is. Pay attention! Having good reaction time is a plus<
      • Power shield is a free followup
      • Covers attack options
      • Covers jumps on reaction with an OOS aerial, most likely Nair and Uair
        • Will most likely want to cover jumps by premptively throwing out a hitbox
      • Covers neutral getup with grab or Nair OOS
        • Nair OOS for a dragdown + followup (great both on and offstage)
      • Jump cancel Up Smash to destroy extended ledge hangs and regrabs
      • Shield drop to grab or Jump cancel Quick Attack to catch rolls
        • Quick attack will give you stage control if you whiff
      • Watch out for shield breakers and cross up ledge jump airdodges
  • Solid: These options require good awareness
    • Reaction:
    • spaced Dtilt
      • Covers neutral getup and gets them offstage
      • Low end lag so you can switch up easily
        • Example: Dtilt 1 time then switch to shield
    • Jabs
      • only covers neutral getup and extended ledge hang consistently. Gets them offstage
      • may catch high recoveries
      • low end lag so you can switch it up
        • Example: rapid jabs then dash cancel Utilt
    • Short hop Nair
      • Can cover ledge jump and neutral getup
      • If pulled/drift back during the animation a little, it is possible to be in a position to cover ledge roll and neutral getup
        • This is also a Mewtwo and Lucas trick. Used a lot by characters who have Nairs with long lingering hitboxes (esp. sex kicks)
    • Short hop Fair
      • Only covers jump consistently
      • If opponent is not always ledge jumping, consider baiting a ledge jump
      • Watch out for ledge attacks with disjointed range
    • Hard read:
    • Usmash
      • Covers extended ledge hang OR ledge roll
      • Very hard call out on normal getup, shield drops, spot dodges, and catching landings
    • Ftilt
      • covers recovery attempts that do not quite snap to ledge
      • Needs testing for 2 frame potential
    • Fsmash
      • All bout the timing
        • Spaced Fsmash read/release on reaction can cover most options if timed well
        • You cover roll with Up tilt
        • This option is beaten by getup attack
      • Good for catching recovery attempts that do not quite snap the ledge
        • Especially if target is recovering high and must go to ledge while in freefall
  • Unique options:
    • Trump: Get a quick Dair spike, wall jump Fair, or a drag-down setup
      • Quick attack trump (not very great. easy to react to but can be a surprise)
      • Skull bash trump (terribly risky option. be ready to tech or get stage spiked.)
        • If opponent is scared or has no hitboxes on their recovery, you can drop and jump+charge skull bash.
      • Wave dash to grab ledge? Not sure if it's a thing
      • Fake a ledge trump. Only do this if you know how to employ trumps effectively.
      • Bair does not kill, but a fast fall drag down suicide may be an option on a few characters with poor recoveries
    • Taunt
      • Why not?
    • Hang out and wait:
      • Do nothing
        • When you got that feeling that nothing matters anymore and you got this. Getting hit is the least of your worries because you won't get hit.
    • Roll
      • Roll back to bait a getup attack or ledge roll then punish with something quick.
    • Old school empty hop/walk/run/dash around to bait something
    • Empty hop
      • Bait for ledge jump and roll
        • Sometimes getup attack and regular getup can be punished depending on spacing (solid Ftilt/turn-around punish)
      • Generates great pressure for a ledge trump punish. Fairly strong at scouting out rolls and extended ledge hangs.
    • Dash dance on them to assert dominance
      • Be a big showoff, and hype the crowd up. Wynaut?
      • Players with good control may find this rewarding for getting a power shield, up smash, grab, or dash attack on reaction
      • As always, a great method for generating pressure and baiting opponents. Requires good control.
  • Bad options:
    • Dsmash (does not kill. punishable on whiff. escapable. outclassed)
      • The only time you should be using Pikachu's Dsmash is if you cannot tell which direction your opponent will be and want to use Dsmash's hitboxes to catch them
    • Side special: Too risky. cannot be cancelled. easily avoided with airdodge (this is not melee). can be countered, dunked, and has low priority.

Always be ready to react after landing. If you predict something, prepare for it.
  • The basic 4: roll, normal getup, jump, attack
    • Standard getup is usually the quickest and safest getup option
      • If the opponent is covering this option well, you have to mix up your ledge getup option
      • If you are ever in doubt of what option to choose, I would recommend normal getup
        • When a normal getup doesn't work out, that's when people roll their eyes and say "should have rolled"
    • Look at the opponent’s position
      • If opponent is nearby: roll and attack are strong options
      • If opponent is further away: normal getup is the best option
        • Be ready to roll, shield, or spot dodge immediately after getting up
          • On a whiff Pikachu can attack or grab
          • Sometimes you can run offstage and quickly retaliate with an aerial
          • You can grab if opponent holds shield for too long (risky)
      • Roll and jump are surprise tests or mini quizzes
        • Opponent must react quickly if they want to catch it as the punish window is tight
        • In most cases, prepared opponents should try to preemptively cover roll and jump options after scouting it out/you show your hand.
        • Be prepared to air dodge, quick attack, skull bash, or use an attack after a ledge jump
  • Timed getup option
    • Holding onto the ledge a bit to switch up the timing will throw most people off
      • Most people react to the timing of a getup. Reads are less common and happen when an option is likely to be repeated.
    • Use against opponents who throw out an option immediately. React to the option your opponent makes.
    • Be wary of ledge trumps
    • You have a bit of invincibility after a ledge grab.
      • You do NOT have to immediately choose a ledge option every time.
        • Take a literal second (at most) to think or regain your composure.
    • Do not wait TOO long or else you might get punished when your invincibility wears off OR ledge trumped
  • Ledge jump to Neural Special
    • Do not use If opponent is standing too close to ledge, standing under a platform, or likes to shield at ledge
    • Similar use to using Zair (tethers) as a getup option. Spacing is of utmost importance.
    • Also strong when used properly after ledge drops and wall jumps.
  • Ledge drop
    • Fair: Standard. Very strong option for most situations. Do not use if opponent is too far away.
    • Nair: best used if opponent is holding shield or just whiffed a smash attack. Do not use if opponent is too far away.
      • On shield, you have two choices for landing.
        • One choice will be better than the other based on opponent's position and OOS habits:
          • Option 1: Land in front of an opponent just outside of their grab range and then react
            • Like Mewtwo, Dtilt and grab are solid followup options after landing
          • Option 2: Cross up the opponent's shield and land behind them
            • Nair, turnaround Dtilt, and Utilt are strong followup options
    • Quick attack: Strong option to retake center stage.
      • Be extra wary of your timing if opponent’s preferred ledge coverage option is NOT shield.
      • Before using: watch the enemy’s position and consider their reaction & reaction time.
        • You may want to mix up using quick attack angles to vary your landing locations
      • Similar use to bouncing fish, flip kick, and monkey flip on stage
    • Wall jump: Time to get creative
      • The most practical options are Upair, B-reverse neutral special, and quick attack.
        • Keep skull bash in your back pocket. It may come in handy.
        • Very advanced options become available if you can instant wall jump
    • Upair:
      • Best used to shark under the stage or as a surprise.
      • Fairly risky option.
      • Rising Uair to Nair/Bair can be used for coverage. If Uair connects, combo into Nair
    • Bair and Dair: unique and obscure options
      • Use these if your opponent is always empty hopping or holding shield at ledge.
      • Aim to cross them up and get land behind your opponent
      • Fairly risky options
  • Directional air dodge: If you want to get past you opponent at all costs, use this option.
    • Should be used as a surprise option as it is risky
      • Opponent should be throwing out their "safe" attacks for you to sneak past.
    • Can also be used after a ledge jump and ledge drop
    • Avoid using against patient or hard read opponents.

* General: Pikachu’s attack plan in 1v1 singles
* This is all theorycraft and may not be remotely true. Smash Ultimate has low gravity and low hitstun coupled with an amazing neutral airdodge.
In other words, this game has some similarities to Brawl and does not promote long combo strings.

* Remember to condition opponents and learn habits to narrow down coverage options.
* Practice so you focus less on your movements and more on your opponents.
* Pikachu is a very versatile character. Some characters are easier to rush down while others are easier to camp. But that does not mean you cannot change your playstyle midmatch. The more rigid you play and the longer the set goes on, the easier it is to learn your style.

0-10%: Prioritize getting big damage combo off. Especially with grab and Utilt. Nair drag-downs will reliably set up for both uptilt and grab.

* Dash attack -> Nair -> any aerial and followups OR if Nair drag down then a grounded followup

* Grab -> D/U Throw-> aerial follow up

* Fair/Quick attack to nair to fair/uair
Note: Quick attack will not combo some characters, such as Samus, at 0%. They must be at least around 10% to start combos. Some characters can be combo'd from a good quick attack angle up to ~80%.

* Dtilt/Thunder jolt to grab/dash attack

* Dair(weak) to dash attack/grab/Dtilt/Usmash

* Utilt(x1-2?) to Footstool/Usmash/grab?/any aerial preferably Nair or Dair. All situational.

20-50%: On easy to gimp characters: prioritize getting opponent offstage and ending stock early. If hard to gimp: prioritize controlling the stage, keeping advantage state, and looking for a good opportunity to deal a big damage combo.

* Golden percent range for Dair spike combos (both on & offstage, especially at 30%) and drag-down footstool combos

* Landing(falling) Fair?/Nair/thunder jolt to grab/Dtilt

* Fair string

* Dair (strong) rebound to any aerial/thunder

* Nair/Grab/Utilt/Quick attack and follow-up combo

* Various tech chase setups from 40-60/100% depending on various factors like floatiness, weight, etc.
Note: very helpful to master boost grabs (dash attack canceled grab) if you want to implement grab punishes on tech rolls on reaction

60-80%: Prioritize getting a clean kill either with a kill confirm OR by edge guarding OR building damage safely and slowly

* Grab to Upthrow to Thunder on specific characters (60-80%? works on Ridley)

* Jablock to whatever you want (like a very strong Fsmash) OR something that combos into a Dair dunk

* Uptilt/down throw to Dair dunk? needs testing. Nair sets up for this reliably.

90%+: Kill them. Build up damage with harassment if you cannot find a kill. Grab those shields when they're scared/conditioned and throw them offstage.

* Nair drag-down to up smash (very reliable apparently)

* Upthrow to Thunder on floaties? (90-110%? works on Mewtwo)

* Defensive Fsmash (they run into it)

* Offensive Usmash (Run up and do it or gamble from falling Fair/Uair. Usmash off a tech chase scenario?)

* Read an airdodge and catch them with Thunder

* Dash attack (when opponent is over 130-150%)

* Any big changes in demo Pikachu from past iterations?
⚡ A few interesting small changes.
The only big change of note is that Pikachu's new Nair has different properties
:ultpikachu: Nair is now very similar to :ultmewtwo: Nair. However the duration is about half the time. Also, it can auto cancel with minimal end lag, but it is not a sex kick(smash64)!

and the huge speed up of many characters in movement speed and attack speed.

⚡ Not sure if RCO lag was removed from Smash 5... BIG IF TRUE.

Other notable small changes:
1. frame data buff on all of the cast including :ultpikachu: Expect nerfs across the entire roster on release.
2. Nair seems to be a better offensive option while Fair will become the better defensive option in neutral.
OOS Nair is still good. Like :ultmewtwo: Nair, it is also a good pressure tool.

3. Although very similar to Smash 4 Pikachu, overall, Pikachu's edge guarding ability has been dramatically increased from Smash 4

4. This game's mechanics has greatly improved the use of dash dancing. Pikachu's ground game is greatly improved by good dash movement.
According to smasher Mew2King, most of the characters on the demo roster tend to die around the 100-110% range. Pikachu is a light character and dies fairly early.

Similar characters in ultimate (Many of Pikachu's attacks no longer resembles Ness's :4ness: from Smash 4 and Pika's speed and flow still feel very different from Luigi :4luigi: . Luigi is just a wacky goofball we all know and love; or love to hate.)
1. Sheik:ultsheik:
>In the demo, Sheik's tilts have been nerfed. Fthrow has been nerfed once again. Still requires tons of precision and plenty of skill to use properly.<
  • Very similar game plan and many similar traits to Pikachu. Suffocate your opponent by winning neutral and keeping advantage.
    • Usually seen as a direct buff over Pikachu due to better frame data which allows Sheik to excel in more areas of the game.
    • Great at zoning, camping, and rushdown. Amazing combos and good power but struggles to kill after a certain point.
  • Has more kill power and priority, speed, reach, and a better projectile.
    • Examples:
    • Sheik camps better and zone breaks better with needles
      • Great zone breaker tool that's great for harassment.
        • Forces opponents to approach
        • If your opponent's charging something, just hit em with da wey needles to interrupt them. It's a fast projectile.
        • Hitbox as large as Samus' missiles
        • Great for edgeguarding too. Great at sniping. Can combo into bouncing fish (smash 4)?
    • Hard to hit when utilizing that amazing crawl and crouch
      • Shiek has access to better tools than Pikachu while crouching (also lacks a tail hitbox so is better at combating projectiles)
        • Sheik: Dtilt, Ftilt, jab, needles, bouncing fish, defensive options. Very solid kit and can easily run in for a grab/dash attack.
    • Has access to more practical and reliable kill setups
      • Very good at killing opponents off the side and has good options to catch landings
        • Pikachu has good options for doing this as well, but they are harder and riskier to use since Pika's options are slower
      • Sheik has more reliable aerials, tilts, and specials for killing (faster options) while Pikachu has more reliable smash attacks
        • Sheik in general has the faster options. Therefore, they are much easier to hit with.
          • It also helps that Sheik can get into proper position faster than Pikachu can
    • Unlike Pikachu, Sheik is tall and a fast faller.
    • Sheik is more slippery and harder to catch thanks to bouncing fish and increased speed
      • Pikachu's quick attack is janky and much easier to punish since it has a huge hitbox enlargement and lacks invincibility
      • Sheik's vanish has invincibility, a windbox, and kill power
      • Shiek is able to catch up and punish better due to increased speed and range
      • Shiek is able to micromanage a lot of interactions much better due to increased speed

2. Mario :ultmario:
  • A jack of all trades. Mario is easy to learn the core mechanics of the game with and has great options for every situation.
    • Mario has access to more kill options than Pikachu
    • Many of his attacks have good KO power. The moves that lack KO power are amazing for neutral and edge guarding. Some of them even combo into KO moves.
  • A close ranged brawler with an emphasis on grab conversions.
  • Mario has amazing air speed, is fairy heavy, and basic (not very technical).
  • Although fairly straightforward, he has a few gimmicks that make him stand out
  • Mario's projectile, fireballs, resemble Pikachu's projectile, thunder jolt.
  • Pikachu and Mario share a similar combo objective

Smash 4 Mario had many similar traits to Smash64 Pikachu. In the transition to ultimate, his early percentage combo potential from down throw and up tilt have been nerfed. His throw combos are harder to followup with.
3. Fox:ultfox:
  • Very fast and light weight character with lots of kill power and combo potential.
    • In Smash 4, both Fox and Pikachu have the same weight.
  • A glass canon, Fox pumps out lots of damage quickly and has an oppressive advantage state which suffocates and completely overwhelms even the best of defenses. However, he receives a ton of damage just as quickly or straight up dies in disadvantage.
  • On the flip side of Pikachu, Fox has intimidating stage presence but is very weak offstage
  • Unlike Pikachu, who is very floaty, Fox is a fast faller. As a fast faller, he is susceptible to long and devastating combo strings and can more easily fall off the side. Fast faller status does have its advantages however. Such as getting to the ground faster and being able to generate more pressure against airborne opponents.
  • Like Captain Falcon, momentum is his game. Momentum is super important for Fox.
  • Fox and Pikachu's Up smash are very similar
Fox is most likely to be heavily buffed on release. Even with his great ground speed, he is very underwhelming in the demo after all the nerfs; side B nerf in particular. As with Smash 4, Fox's lazers are not very potent in neutral because they do not auto-cancel. If Fox lacks a kill throw, I will be pretty upset. Especially if Uthrow to Uair is not even a 50/50.
4. (Theory craft) Yoshi:ultyoshi:
  • Yoshi is a very speedy character in the air and a heavy weight close ranged brawler.
  • His kit is less focused on grab combos and he has issues against sword characters since he cannot contest their priority and range.
  • Also like Pikachu, his Bair was completely neutered after 64
In Smash 4, Yoshi's egg toss, Fair, and Nair were amazing for most every situation. This seems to be just as true in Ultimate. He may struggle against big sword wielders, but creative players can use his speed and unique properties, such as his armored double jumps, to turn the tides.
5. Specifically Squirtle :007:
  • Like Pikachu and Greninja, Squirtle is a small and elusive pokemon.
    • Squirrely and hard to pin down
  • Unlike Pikachu, Squirtle does not command a terrifying or strong combo game but Squirtle's attacks have lots of priority.
    • His priority allows him to challenge many moves most other brawler types can only dream of.
  • A very versatile character overall, I feel like he is a mix between Mario and Pikachu but equipped with a plastic knife...
    • Seems to have deceptively large hitboxes compared to the visual, especially upsmash
  • Of the pokemon trio available to Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle has the lowest kill power and the least weight
    • Do not forget that this gangsta' has two big brothers he can switch out to
    • The combination of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard provide coverage of each others weaknesses

Talk about some Matchups (MU) that I feel have been changed drastically

1. Olimar:
    • The bad news: Will just destroy Pikachu like in Brawl be much more annoying and harder to deal with since Pikachu's old Nair is gone.
      • What I’m saying is that Olimar will deal a ton of chip damage and run and camp very easily.
        • Olimar can whistle a lot faster now for super armor and lands for free
        • Olimar's aerials trade or beat Pikachu's
        • Pika cannot get those Pikmin off with instant Nair anymore.
          • Will have to dash attack but that means you lose stage control or get punished... yikes…
          • In that sense, good Olimar players will capitalize on yellow pikmin and it would, theoretically, be actually near impossible for Pika players to get a yellow pikmin off without losing something.
        • Yellow Pikmin can easily challenge lots of Pika’s attacks to an even greater extent.
        • Purple Pikmin are strong and have lots of hit points. They can be tough to kill.
        • Clinging Pikmin extend and enlarge enemy hurtboxes, as usual, so that’s a disaster in the making.
          • And to top it all off, Olimar’s throws seem to be buffed.
    • Most likely will need to counter pick good Olimar players with other characters since getting those Olimars offstage, where Olimar is weak, will be problematic.
      • Good counterpicks to ultimate Olimar, in my mind, are Lucario, Bayonetta, Ike, Lucina. Maybe Marth and Roy not too sure.
        • In other words, having some hard hitting moves, range, and a counter attack are very valuable against Olimar.
  2. Ice Climbers:
    • Are easier to deal with than Rosalina & Luma since it’s easier to separate them and combo the straggler offstage.
    • Icies lost their chaingrabs (for now) but they’re still very dangerous
      • When the psuedo-chain grab (working title) is mastered that will be a nightmare until it's patched
    • Hard to get in on when they’re together with the desynchs
      • double hammers, ice block, squall mixups, and blizzard etc. that just creates a storm of hitboxes
    • Getting grabbed when both are together will mean Pikachu is taking a ton of damage. No doubt about it.
      • Oh but what if I mash thunder to combo break?
        • Then your opponent could react with shield you dumb dumb
  3. Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Wario:
    • Kirby's inhale and Wario's chomp can deal with thunder jolt now. (Heals)
    • Will be more annoying than before. Jiggly puff, Kirby, and Wario fit the bill here.
  4. Sonic:
    • Matchup is still largely decided on the ground but camping will be less common
      • Baiting, patience, and timing are the name of the game
      • Holding stage control and counter pick advantage are now even more important than in Smash 4
      • Lots of shielding and grabbing on both sides
    • Sonic is a better all-round fighter after all the frame data buffs but thunder jolts and grabs work better against Sonic now due to spin dash nerf
      • Sonic more geared towards aggression in Ultimate
    • Still an annoying MU for both characters
      • Pivot grabs, camping, and running away for days
    • Harder to catch Sonic's landings (attack frame data buffs, homing attack buff, invincible up special, directional airdodge)
      • Still counter homing attack with spot dodge as usual, but the timing is not as telegraphed
    • Fsmash, Dair, Nair, Fair, and Bair are the same or even more dangerous IMO
    • Spring is still very annoying to recover against, but spring ride is less likely to work and Sonic's Upair is less reliable (against the entire cast)
    • Now you have to watch out for Sonic's dash attack (pretty good single hit attack that has KO potential)
    • I think it is funny that spincharge will still pass through shield in the demo, but spindash will not
    • Back throw is still very good and will kill Pikachu pretty early
      • (In singles) Ness' Bthrow does 11.5% while Sonic's does 8.9%

Solid counterpicks for Pikachu:

Mario: Big head. Flood and Cape destroy Pikachu with good prediction. Mario has the stronger grounded options. Big aerials trade up. Recovering/disadvantage state against Mario is a pain. Hard to edge guard Mario due to airspeed.

Ness: Absorbtion. Big aerials trade up. Back throw. Recovering/disadvantage state against Ness is a major pain especially with that active hit box on Down smash charge. Edgeguarding is risky/dangerous and not as exploitable as in Smash 4.

Game & Watch: Big head. Bucket (bucket now reflects physical projectiles and has ending lag). Full bucket = death if you get grabbed from 20-60% (Smash 4)?. Possible 9 hammer to close out stocks. Risky to edgeguard due to jank and huge hitbox of G&W's up special causing stage spikes. Cook, Dsmash, and revamped Fair (bomb drop) are very strong against Pikachu. Dtilt was nerfed but seems to be a solid option. G&W's Megaman-esque Uair has been improved, making it even harder to land when used properly. Recovering/disadvantage state against G&W is a pain.

Bayonetta: Greater punish game, so Bayonetta only needs to capitalize a few times. Giant hitboxes and bullet arts out range and trade with Pikachu. Difficult to edge-guard a good Bayo player.

Olimar: Yellow and Purple pikmin. Nuff said. Run and camp. Easily rack up damage then spam smash attacks or grab shields. Can now airdodge out of Upspecial and is still able to cancel up special with aerial attacks. Olimar's destroyer brawl upsmash seems to be back with a vengence and his aerials have been normalized so he can beat out Pikachu in the air.

Marth: Still an even matchup but a good Marth should not have too much trouble keeping Pikachu out. Will have a better time than most other swordies.

NERFS :201o::201p: ... :201p::201l::201s: ... :201n::201e::201r::201f: (Please buff this character Sakurai:025:)

-Right now, I do not forsee many nerfs to Pikachu for this game-
  • Thunder: If any of Pikachu’s moves are going to be nerfed, it is this move.
    • This move kills too early. Up throw to thunder works around 60-70% and that's the percent range when thunder usually kills.
    • It’s not that the devs are blind or designed it with no thought behind it.
    • It gains attention because people will complain relentlessly about this move.
      • Just like the complaints of Ryu’s true shoryuken, DK's Ding Dong, and Bowser's Up throw -> Up air kill confirm in Smash 4, people complain how Thunder is broken in Smash 5
      • Ryu's :4ryu: true shoryuken is a frame 1, invincible special attack that kills characters at 60% and true combos consistently from weak Utilt and Down Special; but also from strong Dair, Nair, and weak Dtilt in Smash 4. Also, it only has 4 frames of end lag.
      • Likewise, the :dk: Ding dong and Koopa :bowser:grab kill conversions are broken because they kill the entire cast at a specific percentage usually around 60-80%, with a huge percent range on most fast fallers. These two characters have absurdly good grab ranges, with good speed, and stellar grab conversions in Smash 4. Bowser and DK's grab kill confirms have been nerfed in the demo of Smash 5.
  • I predict the dev team will nerf Thunder such that it will become an unreliable kill confirm once again, as it is in Smash 4.
  • If you are familiar with the casual scene in Smash, Pikachu users will always spam Thunder like no tomorrow. Sadly, it is unavoidable that people start lauding Pikachu as a top tier only because they spam his two projectiles, which are good, and they [the casual players] do not know how to deal with it. In their minds, it just works on other players for some fantastical reason and they do not realize there is great counterplay.
  • I personally believe it could use a slight nerf to damage would be more reasonable, but if this move is nerfed too much this move would drop him out of top tier candidacy.
    • Although, I personally doubt that Thunder alone would make or break this character for top tier consideration. Match-up spreads are a more valid consideration.
      • He has too much speed; and :ultpikachu: has a balanced kit that doesn't overly-rely on thunder.

• Neutral special: High chance that this will be nerfed.
    • I have seen too many people complaining about neutral special spam. I think it is perfect as it is for competitive play.
    • I will not deny that this move will make certain match-ups near unbearable on flat stages when used to camp and edgeguard. However, power shields are the answer.
      • There are even stronger, spammable projectiles in the game to deal with. See Yoshi's egg toss, Sheik needles, Megaman pellets, Pacman's fruit. Fox and Falco mains still mourn the loss of lasers of melee and PM (and Brawl Falcos).

• Forward smash: Has a chance to be nerfed
    • I actually think Pikachu’s Fsmash is reasonable as it is because it now matches Mario’s Fsmash damage and knockback.
      • This is a welcome change to anyone familiar with the unreliable KO power of Pikachu in Smash 4. In Smash 4 you would get a jab lock, sweetspot the Fsmash and if the stars did not align (percentage, stage position, sweetspot), then it probably wouldn’t kill.

• Dash attack: I have a feeling that they will nerf the power on this attack.
    • Unlikely to be nerfed unless similar dash attacks are also nerfed, such as Kirby's dash attack.
      • It would be a uniform cast-wide nerf
    • If the knock back is increased to kill earlier or if this move's knock back is decreased to the point that it is a super reliable combo starter, then it may be considered a buff.
    • I feel like this is a much needed kill option for Pikachu, but the cool down is too low. Needs a teeny bit more end lag IMO.
BUFFS
  • Bair:
    • I believe Bair may experience either an increase or decrease to damage and knockback. Both are beneficial in their own ways.
    • As it is, the buffs have greatly improved Bair's design and usage, but the overall usefulness to Pikachu’s kit is still low.

Tweak Thunder
  • In my opinion, thunder needs to meet 2 criteria:
1. It needs to be a designed as a kill confirm

2. That kill confirm MUST reliably K.O.

• I believe it should be nerfed but the kill confirm must match its design.
    • If it is NOT consistently finishing stocks of mid-weights at the correct percentage from a combo throw kill confirm, then I believe the nerf is too strong.
    • Pikachu should be highly rewarded for his grab game by design.
    • Thunder is a very situational move to begin with.
      • Using Thunder in neutral is a bad idea and very easy to punish
      • Using thunder as a combo breaker is risky and requires good reaction time
      • Following DI and executing the move in the heat of battle is one of the more daunting kill confirms to pull off consistently.
        • Then there are the issues of getting the strong sweetspot, opponents falling out, and the long end lag.
    • Although you can combo Upsmash and Uptilt to thunder, shields are such a strong option in the metagame that getting these moves to connect is a rarity.
    • Thus, I emphasize that a throw to thunder followup should be a kill confirm combination.
    • Personally I think it kills way too early right now. Killing most of the cast at 100 instead of 70 or 60 is more reasonable. However, since the attack will not reliably link from a grab at 100%, I believe KOing near 80% is the most reasonable case.
  • Although completely unnecessary, a buff to the knockback of just the lightning bolt projectile would be great for edge guarding, killing off the top (64-Brawl), and followups (like Pikachu’s Thunder in Brawl and Ness’ PK Thunder in Smash 4).
  • Lowering the end lag by 10-20 frames when thunder does not hit Pikachu is very reasonable and would prevent major Self-destructs.
  • Otherwise, we can change thunder to 1. Always strike pikachu or 2. Give it the flip kick, monkey flip, bouncing fish treatment. Pikachu will be stuck in animation but can shorten the animation by pressing a button to get a second strong hit.

• Buff or rework Bair
    • At this point, it is too late to scrap this move. IMO They should seriously scrap this move.
    • If the DEVS want to keep this rapid spin Back air, then either make the last hit deal a reasonable 13% damage
    • Or increase the hitboxes to be absurdly large to cause some sort of jank. (Please don't)
    • Currently, the move has very little knockback, allowing Pikachu to give chase.
      • But the final hit has too much end lag to followup with and the knock back is too low to possibly kill.
    • A better way to implement it is to restore 64’s :pikachu64: Bair and give him the Bayonetta bullet arts treatment.
      • The user has the option to use this disc spin attack after holding down the A button.
      • This buff would make his Bair instantly busted/broken
  • Buff or rework side special
    • Buff
    • Add armor frames to the charging animation
      • This move still has a good degree of melee syndrome. Characters can snipe him or punish during the charge or the release easily.
      • Also, accidentally using this move in neutral will be less punishing
      • I would not suggest super armor since spamming this move and bouncing all day is degenerate, but some light armor to ignore projectiles that would otherwise completely ruin his day offstage.
    • Increase the movement speed of this move to make harder to react to
    • Decrease the end lag of the attack to make it less punishable
      • I like to think of side special’s original implementation as a lazy, nerfed version of Luigi’s green missile. Unlike green missile, skull bash is only viable as a situational recovery option.
      • Since 10+ years ago all the melee players said... why don't they just make side special Peach Bombe
        • Clearly the devs live in the 1990s. Someone from a younger generation needs to help them.
    • Rework
    • :happysheep:Done correctly, a burst movement option such as Palutena's :4palutena: super speed, Wario's :4wario: bike, Sonic's :4sonic: Spindash, Bowser Junior's :4bowserjr: Clown Cart, :ultinkling: roller attack makes a lot of sense and would greatly add to this character's design and strengths.
    • A bad implementation of these kinds of moves is Yoshi's Egg roll :4yoshi:
    • Some balanced in design, plain Jane, burst movement options is :squirtle: Withdraw
  • Buff jab
    • At the very least, this jab needs more hitstun
      • Not too much hitstun needed to be increased, but at least to the level of Villager or Sheik's jab
    • I would like to see jab have a finisher. Give jab a finisher (like villager's) or rework the jab. Example: replace with a Ganon-esque jab, thunder punch instead of headbutt. Another idea would be to give Pikachu a 2-3 hit slap attack.
    • Did you guys see K Rool:ultkrool: gameplay? His Ftilt is Ganon's jab! (Many of his moves are taken or heavily inspired from other characters)
      • Great stuff devs. BTW please change Mewtwo :ultmewtwo: and Charizard's :006: weird Ftilt for Ganon's :ultganondorf: jab and Ftilt respectively. It just makes more sense.
        • Tons of ideas that look better. Take Pokken for example:
          • Mewtwo can have his "Psycho Cut" attack
            • Looks really similar to Metaknight's Ftilt
        • Although the Ftilts were increased in usability, it's REALLY awkward when it looks like they are sticking a pool noodle and a match into someone.
          >A sword or spear, not so weird, but hey I live in 2018 and clearly the devs live in 1987 and they're broke. I'm not sorry that's just plain, lazy, bad visual design. Feels like something you would do when development is rushed.
  • Buff Forward tilt
    • Buff Ftilt so that it can reach under the ledge similar to melee and 64
      • (In b4 "but Fsmash is better for covering low recoveries in 64")
  • Buff Down Smash
    • This move is still very poor in design. Characters fall out and it does not kill.
    • The end lag is just right but I feel it needs more knockback to be useable as a KO option.
      • Some range would be nice too, but we do not need to make it Smash 4 Shulk's Dsmash (which is also a bad Dsmash).
  • Upair needs to autocancel on landing. Otherwise this attack should have semi-spike hitboxes like in melee.
  • Increase hitbox sizes of Bair, Dair, and Fair to be Pikachu's entire body during the entire animation
    • Reduces jank where hitboxes do not work consistently
  • Tweak Quick Attack
    • Give it some start-up invincibility to reduce jank
      • This change would make it much safer to use. Like sheik's vanish in Smsah 4.
      • No need to change the hitboxes itself, but the hurtbox enlargement in Smash 4 is broken and should be fixed.
    • If we could somehow have double directional inputs that would be godlike
      • For now I will keep on waiting *cries in Smash mods*
    • I wouldn't change the knockback on quick attack. It is in a position where it does it's job.
      • It is okay. Not great but not trash either. The strange knockback angles and the balloon effect can throw you off.
    • No freefall on quick attack
      • Have some end lag but not too much.
      • Would reduce Self-Destructs and allow chases. Pikachu does not have many consistent aerial kill options
Jab: Headbutt
Dash attack: Tackle - sometimes called Slam, Take-down, or Iron head

Ftilt: Mega Kick
Dtilt: Tail Whip
Utilt: None - sometimes called tail whip or tail slap

Fsmash: Thunderbolt
Dsmash: None - often called Breakdancing/windmill in 64-Brawl
Usmash: Iron Tail

Nair: Discharge - Smash Ultimate only
Fair: None - Sometimes called the Pikadrill... I kid you not
Bair: Rapid Spin - (Melee-Ultimate)
Dair: None - Sometimes called Head Smash or Iron head

Neutral Special: Thunder jolt sometimes called Thunder shock or thunder wave
Side Special: Skull Bash
Down Special: Thunder - ( Strong hitbox called blue thunder in 64-Smash 4. Sometimes called thunder smash, lightning strike, or Lightningrod. The projectile is called Lightning Bolt)
Up Special: Quick Attack

Final Smash: Volt Tackle - often referred to as Electroball

Some adaptation considerations and tips for high level matches...

This is not a complete overview. Just a small glimpse at the art form's/metagame's application in smash.

Remember: There are many logical fallacies one can apply to each hypothetical situation.
The truth is: Every opponent is flawed and each character has weaknesses.
No person can completely cover every single option.

Even if a player has all the answers in the world. Will they be ready to make the best decision?
Every button press is its own little test.

Live in the moment and focus on your objectives. Do not think about unnecessary situations and what-if's.
  • See what your opponent does and take the necessary action to manipulate them
    • Abuse their habits
    • Counter their strategies and cover their options
    • Play with the opponent’s feelings
    • Set the pace of the match
    • Pick and choose your own battles
    • Force your opponents to play your game or change their tactics
    • Play to your personal and character’s strengths
    • Win!.. unless you get outplayed, mess yourself up, or get unlucky and janked. It happens to all of us.
  • Most efficient & effective method to: Add damage -> Kill setup -> Score a kill
  • If opponent starts jumping a lot
    • Swat them out of the air. Use anti-air attacks. Start juggling or start a combo.
    • Catch their landings. Start your own combo or put them in a disadvantageous position.
  • If opponent likes to use a defensive option heavily then:
    • Outspacing: Purpose is to whiff punish
      • Take that stage control
      • Walk towards them and close the distance
        • Immediate access to all grounded defensive options
      • Charge a special move you have like Lucario’s Aurasphere or Sheik's needles
      • Rush them and overshoot an attack
        • You must make the conscious choice to delay or hold your initial attack
        • Much easier to do if your character has a significant speed advantage
        • Since this is high risk, you better not mess up
      • Throw out a projectile chaser shot
        • If they don't expect it from up close or have bad reaction time then they're probably getting hit
    • Shield: Purpose is to avoid being hit
      • Counterplay:
        • Grab the shield
        • Break the shield
        • Chip away at the shield from a distance
          • May possibly lead to a shield break or shield stab
          • Perfect shields do not take damage
        • Cross-up
        • Change the timing or purpose of each approach
        • Use an option that beat shield
          • Examples:
            • Pacman's Trampoline
            • Command Grabs
            • Footstools
            • Z drops with items
    • Roll: Purpose is to relieve pressure
      • React then punish with something like a grab or quick attack/setup
      • Predict/read and charge up with something like Down smash or a setup.
    • Spot dodge: Purpose is to avoid being hit
      • Use a long-lasting move to near guarantee a hit
        • Examples: Cloud’s Limit Cross Slash, Marth's dancing blade, Link's delayed Fsmash, Bowser Junior's Fsmash, Mewtwo’s Upsmash, Ice Climber's Blizzard, Luigi’s jabs, Shulk's Down smash, Bowser's grounded Up special
      • Delay and use projectiles to get a setup
      • Predict and charge up a smash attack. Risky and requires good reaction+timing.
  • If the opponent likes to approach the same way, start challenging it.
    • Abuse hitbox weaknesses
      • If there’s lots of end lag then bait and whiff punish
        • Example: dodging tether grabs
      • If the hitbox cannot go beat or pass through shields then use your shield to stop their movement.
        • Example: Smash Ultimate's Fox Illusion & Sonic Spindash
      • If hitbox cannot hit low profiles, then duck under them.
        • Example: Villager Fair, Ganondorf's Grab
    • Have them run into a strong hit or into your grab
    • Make it hard for them to get in by throwing out fast and safe attacks
      • Undershoot certain projectiles, smash attacks, tilts, pivot grabs, and rapid jabs that can beat out their approach options
        • Examples: Link bombs, Metaknight Fsmash, Zero Suit's Dsmash, Mewtwo Dtilt, Krool pivot grab, Little Mac jab
  • Use a defensive option to start your own offense
    • Perfect shield to punish almost any attack
    • Spot dodge to avoid and punish a high cool-down attack
      • If your opponent likes to pivot grab or try to grab you while approaching, then run in range and spot dodge for a whiff punish.
      • If the opposing character has BOTH a good dash attack and dash grab that you want to avoid then spot-dodging is a very useful tool
    • Roll to get behind your opponent
      • May reverse the situation by taking center stage/cornering them
      • Certain characters do not have the greatest hit-boxes to deal with characters who are behind them
        • Can throw off many opponents who are not ready for this option
        • This tactic is usually beaten out by uptilts or countered with a down smash
          • Although turnaround grabs, jabs with a backwards hitbox, and upspecials with hitboxes can deal with this in terms of speed
    • Out-space and whiff punish
    • Beat them out with your own attack
      • Use range, speed, invincibility, and priority to beat your opponent's option
      • Use a stronger attack to win or trade up
  • Edge guarding:
    • Option coverage is key here
    • Characters are most vulnerable offstage after exhausting all of their double jumps

* How they deal with your shield: aerial approach, grounded approach, grab/dash attack approach, spacing, projectiles
* Preferred ledge get up option
* How they DI and SDI your combos
* Action out of hitstun: jumping, attacking, airdodge
* What they like to do in a high pressure situation: hold shield, roll, jump, spot dodge, attack, run away etc.
* How do they drift when offstage: aggressive drift towards the stage or drift away/back to avoid hits
* Preferred recovery option and timing
* How they took your stocks
* How they started the match
* When will something you are doing not work anymore? What will now work instead?
* What worked and did not work against your opponent
* What your opponent can do better or change

* As Pikachu the go to option is to use quick attack to juke out your opponent
* Otherwise go to the corner and shield/roll/air dodge past or onto a platform (waveland)
* Cover yourself with thunder jolts once their invincibility is about to run out
* Run off the ledge and go to the other side of the stage or regrab ledge. You can attack after running off the ledge if their invincibility runs out.

DEFENSE: All about positioning [yourself for success]
  • If you are hit by the same move over and over again, consider changing your strategy
    • Keep your distance and zone OR control your movement and bait OR challenge it
      • For example, if you are always approaching with shield and your opponent grabs you every time, then you can bait it with dash dancing or wise up and run away so you cannot get grabbed
      • If you are getting grabbed all the time then you really need to be patient. Projectiles can be countered with perfect shield but good movement control is more difficult to counter. Spacing aerials can make it difficult to shield grab when you used coverage moves to follow-up.
  • As you are learning match-ups:
    • start shadowing and prioritizing the threat of different moves.
      • Ever heard of shadow boxing? Same principle
      • Prioritize playing around certain moves and hit-boxes depending on percentage and opponent's playstyle
        • For example, at kill confirm percents you may decide to start playing more carefully & patiently versus Ness and Lucas.
  • If opponent creates a lot of pressure, retreat to create some space.
    • If you react well, the extra breathing room can create a whiff punish opportunity if the opponent over-commits.
  • The airborne escape: tricking your opponents with your aerial movement
    • Remember that you lose grounded escape options while airborne.
    • If your character has a fast and reliable escape move, attack range, air speed, and air dodge then an aerial escape option is more viable
      • Example: Sheik has bouncing fish, great air speed, and pretty good frame data all around.
  • If you are being combo'd by your opponent consider using an escape option.
  • Directional Influence(DI): Changing trajectory during hitstun
    • Combo DI:
      • Holding the analog stick in a direction to move your character away during hitstun. Combo DI is used for minimizing damage from combo strings.
    • Survival DI:
      • Holding the analog stick in the direction perpendicular to the launch angle to optimize chances of surviving.
    • Smash DI: Allows you to escape multi-hit moves
      • Note: Some moves may lack SDI multipliers
        • Example of one such move: Smash 4 Ness' PK Fire
          • To escape, just DI normally. However, it has near 0 hitstun so you can do whatever you want.
      • Example scenarios where the use of SDI is very important:
        • Smash 4 Bayonetta's Witch Twist
        • Smash 64 Yoshi's Dair (Practically any multihit in 64 in my opinion)
        • Smash Melee Fox's Up throw
        • Smash Brawl Metaknight's Mach Tornado
      • Counterplay
        • To counteract this, the player needs to react to the change in position and adapt to catch them
          • It could be as simple as walking forward while Uptilting in Smash 4
          • To as difficult as a Fox performing a wave shine combined with a pivot in Project Melee
      • Example scenarios of application in Smash 4:
        1. Captain Falcon is at 0% and is caught by Mario's Up Tilt
          • To avoid being combo'd to 30-50%, the Captain Falcon player very quickly SDI's in the down and away
            • Captain Falcon is then on the ground and is able to shield Uptilts after taking two uptilts
        2. Donkey Kong is at 20% and gets caught by Bayonetta's Witch Twist
          • To avoid being KO'd off the top of Town and City, Donkey Kong very quickly SDI's down and away.
            • As a result, the Bayonetta player is unable to immediately followup with Witch Twist or afterburner kick (ABK)
              • The Bayonetta player uses a dropkick to continue the chain and combos a Fair into a Witch Twist, moving both players close to the side blast zones
                • After the 2nd Witch Twist, the DK player quickly SDI's up and in to avoid a ABK towards the blast zone
                  • In the end, the Bayonetta player uses the 2nd ABK towards the stage and both players successfully recover to the stage
  • Jump: After a certain point you will have an opportunity to jump out of a combo safely
    • It is possible for double jumps to get caught resulting in a lost double jump while still being caught in a combo
      • Especially common for characters with slow double jumps such as Ness and Mewtwo
    • Counterplay: The player has to predict the double jump and immediately use an option to catch them
      • Common example:
        • A fast faller with poor escape options, let's say Fox :ultfox:, is getting up tilt combo'd by Marth :ultmarth:
          • Marth player knows Fox player wants to double jump to escape the combo as soon as possible
            • Let's assume the Fox player is mashing the jump button in this instance instead of timing his jump
              • Marth player also knows that after the 2nd consecutive Uptilt, Fox will be able to double jump out safely
                • To counter the jump, the Marth player uses Forward Smash
                  • Marth's tipper Fsmash catches Fox's double jump dealing a ton of damage and nearly KO'ing
                    • Fox is unable to recover back to stage and is KO'd after entering the bottom blast zone
  • Air dodge: Fall out of combos
    • Mostly effective during Brawl though also useful in Smash 4
      • Why?
        • In Brawl a fastfall air dodge has 2 frame of end lag. Regular air dodge has 4 frames of end lag. (Basically no end lag)
          • Low hitstun meant low combo potential unless you had amazing frame data like Metaknight
            • Thus, chain grabs were invaluable
              • Neutral airdodge landing lag in Smash Ultiamte demo works exactly the same as Brawl. Ultimate also has low hitstun like Brawl, so long combos are not common.
        • In Smash 4 Bayonetta has a frame 1 airdodge that can activate bats within to escape
        • In Smash 4, Mewtwo has a frame 2 airdodge and good airspeed
          • This allows him to drift away from slower combos, such as Lucario's Aura Sphere charge to jump cancel up smash
    • Counterplay:
      • React or predict the airdodge and punish accordingly
        • Predict: Take advantage of the ending lag of a dodge to punish
          • If the opponent airdodges but you have not attacked, you can punish with something
        • React: Frame trap
          • Use a quick attack with low cooldown
            • If the opponent air dodges, you can punish the end lag with another move
  • Attack: Combo Break and Combo Escape
    • Usually these combo breaker or escape options have considerable end lag and can be punished with good prediction
      • Examples:
        • Luigi's Nair (In every game. Not really a thing in 64 due to the game's enormous hitstun)
          • A prime example of the "godlike power" of sex kicks
          • Frame 3 (very fast), huge hitbox
          • Can possibly start combos at low percents and has good kill potential
          • Low end lag (auto-cancels) if Luigi touches the ground
            • Multiple characters have a quick Nair with a large hitbox that can potentially break combo chains
      • Some examples from Smash 4
        • Marth's Dolphin Slash, Donkey Kong's Flying Kong, Doctor Mario's jump punch, and Little Mac's uppercut (up special)
          • Start up invincibility/armor/transcendant properties and/or hitboxes come out quickly
          • Convenient to use at low percentages (game's hitstun properties)
          • Pretty safe and hard to punish if used to land on a platform (minimizes end lag)
          • Good power and knockback
          • Also great out of shield options
          • Apply to nearly every smash game
        • Pikachu's Thunder
          • Frame 1 attack
            • A hitbox spawns from a thunder cloud above Pikachu's head on frame 1
          • Tons of end lag and no invincibility
        • Greninja's Shadow Sneak (side special)
          • Used for escaping rather than interrupting an attack
          • Invincible attack
          • Convenient for escaping combos at any percent
            • Extremely handy for escaping multi-hit attacks
            • Unique escape that is comes in clutch for surviving deadly hits
        • Ryu's focus attack
          • Gains special armor on activation
        • Zero Suit Samus' Flip Kick (down special)
          • Used for escaping rather than interrupting an attack
          • Very fast and comes out frame 3
          • Lots of invincibility during its animation
          • Long distance covered very quickly
          • Has very low end lag
            • Can have no end lag if cancelled with a ledge grab or platform slip
    • Counterplay: predict the option and punish accordingly
      • Since combo breaker moves are so quick, it is humanly impossible to react to them
      • Example from Smash 4:
        • Fox is comboing Pikachu with Uptilts
          • Pikachu player is mashing Nair
            • Fox player hears the Pikachu player's button mashing and decides to stop Uptilting and use shield
              • Pikachu uses Nair and Fox power shields the attack
                • Fox follows up with a dash attack to Up air string

*I highly suggest you you keep things simple.*
Sometimes somebody will go the extra mile to make the game difficult for you. You will have to learn to deal with it.
Here are some complex/complicated mini-games you can try to incorporate into your game plan.
Remember: There is always more to learn and always more room for improvement.

Ultimate Goal in a tournament setting: Win in tournament
Ultimate Goal in friendlies: Working on execution and testing new ideas

Secondary objectives: 1. Information 2. Priming/Conditioning 3. Overwhelming Victory

1. Gathering Information:
  • what level is your opponent thinking at?
    • What is their play style?
      • Aggro & read based, safety first, bait and punish, campy etc.
    • What type of person are they?
      • Nervous wreck, average Joe, rusty veteran, actual new player, casual schmuck, typical try-hard, godlike player?
        • Try to understand their logic
        • Understanding the person is great for narrowing down possibilities
  • What is their state of mind/awareness?
    • No idea: Has no idea what they're doing
    • Newbie: Familiar with controls but does not know what is really happening
    • Veteran: Familiar with how the game flows
    • Nervous: Worse decision making in high stress situations.
      • Example: Throwing away percentage leads and being overly aggressive for no reason.
    • Transcendent: Thinking at a level higher and a few steps forward than you are. Optimal and effective. Has great reaction speed.
    • Ascended: Aware of many situations taking place. Takes into account many factors such as position, movement options, percentage, stock count, pressure levels, game state, habits, the counter-play, the past etc. Mostly a subconscious accumulation of past experience. A computer processor. Very good patience, reaction speed, adaptation skills, option coverage, and decision making.
  • What skill level are they?
    • An approximation of the relative skill level of each player from a number of factors
    • -movement -reaction speed -combos -punishment -optimization -match-up knowledge -level of adaptation -learning speed -clutch factor
  • Habits?
    • How do they instinctively deal with (X) situation?
    • Player does X,Y,Z in these situations
2. Priming/Conditioning:
  • Influence how the person moves
    • This person will feel this and start doing this if I do X, Y, Z
      • I am going to take advantage of this and bop them hard if they start doing this
      • This person likes to do this so I will not do X, Y, Z
      • This person likes to do X,Y,Z which is an opening I can abuse. I may want to save this knowledge for a critical moment.
3. Overwhelming victory
  • Often a big boost for your confidence and discouraging for your opponent
  • Do not get hit much or at all (Defensive)
    • Perfect victory/JV/Freshman 40
  • Finish the battle very quickly (Offensive)
    • Destruction

[Rule of thumb for using defensive options]
  • If you really need to escape or avoid a situation, roll out of there
  • If you do not want to die from a strong hit then use your shield
  • If your shield is low, there is nowhere to go, and you do not want to die from a strong hit then spot dodge
  • If your opponent is baiting you or fishing for their win condition:
    • Do not fall for bait and play around it. Be safe.
    • Annoy and poke them at range
      • Space disjoints and projectiles to distract them and have them rethink their choice
    • Run away and make them chase after you
      • When you certainty do not want them to win easily
    • Use the terrain to your advantage
      • Such as camping platforms or sharking at/under ledges
    • Be tricky
      • Be smart and bait them instead
        • Make them think they have the advantage but only commit when it matters
      • Fake them out
      • Change up your timing
      • Use an option or setup that has not been used during the set to create an opening
      • Use movement and environment tricks to your advantage
        • Dash dancing
        • Edge cancels

For the vast majority of players, they will rarely or never find the tournament scene unless introduced.
Here are some methods of finding tournaments to experience, watch, and possibly play with others.

1. Take to social media
    • In my experience, I have found Facebook as the most consistent advertising place for Smashfests at the local level
      • There are people who host events at tournament halls, arenas, libraries, malls, game shops, restaurants, schools, theaters, and sometimes even their own home to the public.
      • Simply find a suitable facebook page of your state or region
        • There will likely be multiple facebook groups of various sizes
    • Twitter and Instagram are usually for finding about larger events, although google does a great job
      • Some major events include POUND, EVO, and Genesis
  2. Ask the internet for information
    • Discord is fairly reliable at finding help
      • However, it may be difficult to find an active and large community
    • Reddit is a great place for asking people for information
      • Albeit with varying degrees of success
    • You may find random events pages linked on Google or a tournament locator website such as Smashboards
  3. Ask somebody you know for information
    • Aim to contact a Tournament Organizer (T.O.)
      • Usually knowledgeable of events and other TO's
      • Usually people who focus on being helpful and growing the scene
      • These people organize tournaments of various types and sizes
    • Introductions are a great way to get connected to the scene
      • The best part is you do not have some company
      • In most cases, travelling with others is very good idea for safety and a more positive experience
    • The person(s) do not have to currently be active
      • If a person has not been active in awhile he or she can still provide leads
Various methods of transportation methods to reach tournaments quickly:
Remember to be safe! Safety first.
  1. Car or personal vehicle
    • Drive your own car/motorcycle, get a ride, or carpool with someone else
  2. Bus
    • Account for popular hours in congested areas
  3. Train
    • In large cities, there is often a train that can provide transportation
  4. Taxi, Uber, Lyft and other charter services
  5. Bicycle
    • If the venue is located near by then this may be a good idea

How to improve

HAVE A GOAL! and try to put a reasonable deadline on it.
  • If your goal is to have fun then find out what you enjoy the most
  • If your goal is to get better then start practicing, studying, and training
  • If your goal is to beat a certain person then polish your work and figure out how to beat em': habits, weaknesses, character match-up knowledge etc.
  • If your goal is to win in tournament then plan a schedule so that you are prepared

Ultimate Goal in a tournament setting: Win in tournament
Ultimate Goal in friendlies: Working on execution and testing new ideas

Becoming proficient at Smash and "getting good" are skills you have to learn and work on over time.

1. Observe
  • Inspiration
  • Learning
  • Asking questions and finding answers
2. Study
  • Knowledge
    • Basic, Intermediate, Advanced
    • Obscure
    • New and old
    • Combos
  • Analysis
    • Match-ups
    • Strategy
    • Theory
    • Learning
    • Student of yourself and others
    • Strengths (S.W.O.T Analysis)
    • Weaknesses
    • Opportunities
    • Threats
    • How to play neutral with your character
    • Why you lose or win neutral exchanges
  • Terminology
    • Learn to communicate with others
  • Efficiency
    • Knowing the exact uses and purpose of each move
  • Optimization
    • Knowing what works and what does not
    • Knowing your character's win conditions and their kill percentages and setups
  • Recognition
    • Living in the present
    • Awareness and presence of mind
    • Adjustment and correction of mistakes
    • Not underestimating or overestimating opponents
      • Give credit where credit is due
  • Preparation of the mind
    • Mindset
      • Staying calm
      • Patience
      • Metal fortitude
      • Not over until it is over
    • Meditation
    • Memorization
      • Sequences
      • Patterns
        • Character options
        • Player habits
3. Practice
  • Consistency
  • Mastery
    • Improved decision making skills
    • Trial by error. Experience.
    • Pushing limitations
    • Adding certain things slowly over time. One at a time.
    • Smooth movement
    • Have a general game plan, but also be flexible enough to adjust it
    • Mind games
  • Speed
    • Familiarity of situations
    • Improved processing power
    • Improved reaction times
  • Effectiveness
  • Preparation of the body
    • Boost confidence. Perform well. Do what you want to without thinking.
    • Muscular endurance
=======================
Observe, Study, Practice.

You have most likely known this all your life and there are entire books on this subject.
Obtaining proficiency applies to all things in life and not just Smash. So here is a quick overview.

I challenge you all to keep learning in life one day at a time.
I challenge you to step out in boldness with courage and faith and work on obtaining your dreams.
Time will not wait for you and you have only one shot. So take it.
  • Observe: The first step and the easiest. Expand your knowledge. Watch and learn from what others are doing. You can see and are introduced to new things. Think about what you see and be reminded and reinforced by these moments if you see them again. If you want to improve, to evolve, always be on the hunt for knowledge; whether it be through yourself or some other media. Find multiple resource outlets to observe.
Examples of observation in practice: Learning new combos and optimal play styles with an unfamiliar character in a tutorial/guide you watched/read/heard, learning the theory and design of each character, learning your habits by watching your own footage, learning player and character habits from watching others
  • Study: Prepare yourself for what is to come. Learn counters, strategies, threats, opportunities, and recognize ability. Improve your presence of mind. If you are not ready for what is to come, how can you fight it?
Smash Application Examples: Digesting the commentary on competitive VODs, going through competitive sets play-by-play, analyzing and taking track of a player’s habits, figuring out what is good/bad or right/wrong, watching old videos to see progression/things you may have missed, discussing tactics with other players, figuring out movement tricks, familiarizing yourself with the advantages and disadvantages of certain stages, Rock-paper-scissors, learning advanced techniques, glitches, going through your notes again and again, comparing stats, teaching and explaining to other players how to perform a certain technique, character strengths and weaknesses, match-ups, how pressure and conditioning are related, understanding core mechanics of the game, learning the language and objectives of different phases of the game: neutral, punish, edge guard, edge trap, disadvantage, advantage, at ledge, offstage, tech chase etc.

• Practice: The more time invested in one area, the more proficient you become. Practice is the key to mastery and separates a beginner from a competent player and a master. When you practice: you become faster, your precision is much better, decision making is improved, confidence is built, and doubt is removed. The best in the business spend endless amounts of time on practice. Explosive improvement comes through trial and error, by pushing one’s self. Challenge yourself to never be comfortable so that you are always improving in some aspect. You may be the first at something, become an inventor/engineer/pioneer, and be powerful enough to revolutionize "the world" if armed with knowledge. However, intelligence does not stop with book learning. Like most disciplines and skill sets, it must not only be learned, it must also be practiced and applied. We expect you will prepare to take action.
Smash examples of practice in application: Gaining the muscle memory to utilize Bidou tech, L-cancelling, and RAR aerial attacks, mastering advanced techniques like edge cancels;dash dancing; wave dashing;platform dropping; 10/10 success rate instead of 3/10 attempts, knowing exactly when to be defensive or offensive, pushing your character to its utmost limits, consistently KOing opponents through edge guards and kill confirms, practicing to remove your bad habits and build good habits, playing more matches and winning more sets, taking on challenges to improve your proficiency, learning the spacing of certain moves, accurately short hopping and full hopping when you want to, training schedules and learning discipline, knowing what could have happened and what should have happened, not falling for baits, adapting faster, building patience, reads

Complaining will hardly accomplish anything.

You have identified a problem and have done nothing to solve it.
Instead work hard to overcome these issues.

If you want to go big, try starting small first.
The majority of the populace do not have a big breakout moment at big events.
Most people make a name for themselves at a smaller scale before becoming well known to the world.
You can go to a local and see how you do.

Shoutouts to fellow socal Smash 4 Pikachu mains Scourgemom, RVRproduct, and NCJacobT.

As well as my regards to others from the Pika crew like Esam, Rideae, Captain L and so many more.

* I lurk on Smash boards and am a passionate Pikachu main. I have awoken from my usual slumber due to HYPE and created a new account.
I have mained Pikachu across all the games and he is my favorite pokemon.
I hope to showcase Pikachu's abilities off in my local region, the Socal Tournament scene!
Also, vanilla Pikachu is my favorite skin.

Last edited:

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
0. #08: Smash Ultimate - Pikachu's character trailer
1. M2k and salem @E3
2. Free for all: Smash Ultimate - Ridley, Snake, Ganondorf, Pikachu on Battlefield
3. Yoshiller - Smash Ultimate Ice Climbers & Fox vs Mario & Pikachu
4. False (Samus) vs Nakat (Pikachu) 1v1 no items
5. Smash Ultimate Demo - free for all Yoshiller with Alpharad crew @ E3
5. Smash bros invitational. celebrities vs Nairo 3 v 1[ https://youtu.be/X15qYiVLaAw?t=6905 ]
6. Nairo (Snake) vs Esam (Pikachu) [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9fSqSgrjxI ]
7. Nakat (Pikachu) vs D1 (Cloud) [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NDxgOR8kYE ]
8. Treehouse: Pikachu (Smiddy) vs Mewtwo (Demetrius) [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEw4t4MlRsw ]
9. Esam (Pikachu) vs Nairo (Ryu)
10. Salem (Ridley) vs Esam (Pikachu)
11. Super Smash Ultimate: ESAM (Pikachu) vs Vayseth (Mewtwo)
12. Salem (Marth) vs ESAM (Pikachu) - E3 2018 Smash Bros. Ultimate
13. Shofu (Fox) vs Esam (Pikachu)
14. ESAM (Pikachu) vs Virum (Pokemon Trainer) Battlefield
15. Enki (Pikachu) vs Oursouzbek (Ryu) - SSBU Demo - Japan Expo (Paris) 2018
16. Enki (Pikachu) vs Otakuni (Link) French Demo
17. Ridae(Pikachu) vs Fear(Snake)Yeah, Ridae was really bad this round. He's fresh meat. Super free. Don't judge though. Remember, most people could not play on their preferred controller or for very long at these events.
18. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate UK Invitational: Doubles
Professor Pro (Marth) & Stimpy (Pikachu) vs G~P (Ike) & Sum (Pac-Man)
Pikachu not utilizing thunder jolts and quick attack. Pacman not charging fruit often nor abusing hydrant and trampoline. Teams not covering or comboing off each other as much as they could have. Very strong tools when team attack is off were not emoloyed. Smash balls played a very big part in victory (deciding the match).
19. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate UK Invitational: Free-for-all Cosplayer Exhibition Match
Looks like Pikachu's final smash has some hitbox issues
20. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate UK Invitational: Free-for-all
Ander (Pikachu) vs SBF (Donkey Kong) vs Sum (Snake) vs G~P (Fox)
21. Smash Ultimate French Demo | Free-for-all match
22. Nakat (Pikachu) vs ??? (Mario) E3 2018
23. 4 player Batle Royale @ Jump Victory Carnival Huh. Looks like Pikachu kept his very quick roll from Smash 4, but look at that range
24. Jump Victory Carnival Free-for-all . Oh yeah, spam that skull bash baby. SPAM IT (what a bad move KAPPA)
25. CEO 2018 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Free-for-All
26. Ridley vs Pikachu CEO 2018
27. Smash Ultimate @ CEO 2018 Rideae(Pikachu) vs Fear(Ridley)
28. E3 2018 Smash Bros Ultimate ESAM (Pikachu) vs Virum (Pokemon Trainer) Frigate
29. EVO 2018 Smash Ultimate Doubles Exhibition Match Team NRG vs Team Panda Global Grand Finals
30. Smash Ultimate - Pikachu matches compilation
31. Super Smash Bros Ultimate@ E3 Invitational: Mario Vs Pikachu [Feat. @MissGandaKris]
32. Super Smash Bros Ultimate@ E3 Invitational: Link Vs Pikachu [Feat. @MissGandaKris]
33. King Riko (Mario) vs Random Player (Pikachu) - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate | Nintendo UK
34. Team Panda Global] ESAM (Pikachu) + Infiltration(Bayonetta) vs [Team Tempo Storm] AXE(Link) + Alex Myers (Cloud)
35. Smash Ultimate @ EVO 2018 Samus vs Pikachu
36. Pikachu & Ike vs Mewtwo & Ike (Doubles Gameplay) - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate | E3 2018
37. Smash Ultimate Free-for-all cloud/littlemac/pikachu Australia
38. Smash Ultimate @ SDCC 2018: Rider (Pikachu) vs Rocxidi (Inkling) on Final Destination
39. Smash Ultimate @ SDCC 2018: Rider (Pikachu) vs Phoenix (Sonic)
40. Tarn (Pikachu) vs Ramuh (Marth) @ EVO 2018
41. Ridley vs Pikachu - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate E3 2018 Demo
42. Smash Ultimate MVL (Pikachu) vs Marcbri (Mewtwo) @ Gamepolis 2018
43. falln (ridley) vs Charger (Pikachu) @ SDCC
44. Smash Ultimate Kanna(Pikachu) vs Marcbri (Pokemon Trainer) @ Gamepolis 2018
45. SSBU Pikachu Reveal Frame Data Analysis by Blank Smash
46. Linkaro - EVO 2018 Smash Ultimate gameplay Pikachu, Inkling, Kirby, Pokemon Trainer
47. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Gameplay - Pikachu, Link, & Cloud (PAX West)
48. King Riko (Mario) vs Random Player (Pikachu) Smash Ultimate UK
49. A ton of Pika gameplay (and other characters)
50. SJ (Corrin) vs ? (Pikachu) - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate E3 Competitive Tournament Finals
51. Halcyon (Pikachu) vs GenericallyNamed(Ridley) - Smash Ultimate @ EVO 2018
52. Ridley vs. Pikachu - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate E3 2018 Demo
53. E3 2018 - SSBU Demo - Abdallah (Link) Vs. Seshy (Pikachu) Smash Bros. Ultimate - Exhibition
54. E3 2018 - SSBU Demo - Abdallah (Mario) Vs. Seshy (Pikachu) Smash Bros. Ultimate - Exhibition
55. Smash Bros. Ultimate: Snake (MVD) vs Pikachu (ESAM)
56. Playing CPU Fighters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo Switch
57. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Gameplay - Bowser, Ryu, Pokémon Trainer, & Pikachu on Boxing Ring @ EVO 2018
58. Cloud VS. Ridley VS. Pikachu VS. Ganondorf | Smash Bros. Ultimate @ EGX 2018
59. Inkling + Link vs Pikachu + Bowser - Smash Ultimate Gameplay
60. Super Smash Bros Ultimate Gameplay (FFA Pikachu vs Little Mac vs Link vs Link) @ EGX 2018
61. Smash Bros Ultimate: Pikachu (ESAM) vs Sheik (??) @ Dreamhack Montreal 2018
62. Pikachu vs Link Italy crew battle
63. Pikachu (ESAM) vs Mario (DarkWizzy) 1v1 no items 3stocks
64. ESAM (Pikachu) vs. Cosmos (Inkling) - SSBU Demo - TBH8
65. Smash Bros Ultimate: Bayonetta (Jayy) vs Pikachu (ESAM) @ Dreamhack Montreal 2018
66. NAKAT (Pikachu) vs VOID (Sheik) @ TBH8
67. D Disciple (Pikachu/Sonic) vs. StylesX2 (Ridley) - SSBU Demo @ TBH8
68. MrLz (Marth) vs. NoelKitten (Pikachu) - SSBU Demo - TBH8
69. JT (Pikachu) vs. Roxcidi (Inkling) - SSBU Demo @ SDCC 2018
70. [INVITATIONAL GAMEPOLIS] Adrik + El Pitikla vs IvándeSevilla + Kanna - E3 SSBU Demo - Winners Eights
71. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Pikachu VS Ike (crew battle style) @ ESL Arena in Italy
72. Super Smash Ultimate Treehouse Pikachu vs Incineroar
73. [FICOMIC 2018] Eduardo (Pichu) + Miquel0123 (Pikachu) vs Marcbri (Daraen) + Marcpq (ZSS)
74. [FICOMIC 2018] Eduardo (ICs) + Miquel0123 (Pikachu) vs Marcbri (Falco) + Marcpq (ZSS)
75. NAKAT (Pikachu) Vs. Nairo (Mewtwo) @ CEO 2018
76. [GAMEPOLIS 2018] MVL (Pokémon Trainer) vs MT (Pikachu) - SSBU E3 Demo - Freeplays
77. [GAMEPOLIS 2018] MVL (Snake) vs Carolina (Pikachu) - SSBU E3 Demo - Freeplays
78. [GAMEPOLIS 2018] MVL (Pokémon Trainer) vs naT (Pikachu) - SSBU E3 Demo - Freeplays
79. [GAMEPOLIS 2018] Kanna (Pikachu) vs El_Pitikla (Fox) - SSBU E3 Demo - Freeplays
80. [FICOMIC 2018] Miquel (Pikachu, Cloud) vs yagg (Ness) - LR3
81. [FICOMIC 2018] Miquel (Pikachu) vs Nemo (Dark Samus) - LR2
82. [FICOMIC 2018] Miquel (Pikachu) vs SamuSilver (Wii Fit Trainer) - WR1
83. Smash Ultimate | Pikachu VS Samus Gameplay [SMASHVILLE]
84. Dark Samus, ZSS, Richter, Pikachu FFA | Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
85. Young Link & Wario Vs. King K Rool & Pikachu | Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
86. King K Rool, Rosalina, Pikachu, Inkling | Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Gameplay
87. [INVITATIONAL GAMEPOLIS] Nau + Robo~Luigi vs Joseluisasdfg + Elira - SSBU E3 Demo - Losers R1
88. [INVITATIONAL GAMEPOLIS] Marcbri + Almu VS Kanna + IvándeSevilla - E3 SSBU Demo - Losers R1
89. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Demo Video Archive
90. Roy Vs Pikachu | Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
91. Smash Special Live 2018 Pikachu versus Cloud alternate link with less breaks here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6jOGc7I4RY
92. Link vs Pikachu 2 Semifinals NintendoPGW at Paris Games Week 2018
93. Pikachu (Risuno) vs Richter (Yetey) - Smash Ultimate at VCA
94. Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Nintendo Holiday Event) [Game 4] Pikachu vs Pikachu vs Pichu vs Incineroar
95. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/16/18, 1 of 2 (Dr. Mario, Richter, Pikachu, Mii Fighter FFA)
96. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/14/18, 2 of 15 (Marth, Ridley, Pikachu, Ganondorf FFA)
97. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/14/18, 3 of 15 (Roy, Richter, Pikachu, Link FFA)
98. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/14/18, 9 of 15 (Donkey Kong, Ridley, Kirby, Pikachu FFA)
99. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/14/18, 10 of 15 (Donkey Kong, Snake, Mewtwo, Pikachu FFA)
100. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/14/18, 11 of 15 (Sudden death Snake vs Pikachu)
101. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/14/18, 12 of 15 (Metaknight, Samus, Pikachu, Pikachu FFA)
102. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/14/18, 13 of 15 (Mario, Luigi, Pikachu, Pikachu FFA)
103. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/16/18, 2 of 2 (K Rool, Young Link, Pikachu, Mario FFA)
104. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/17/18, 1 of 8 (Ike, DK, Pikachu, Incineroar FFA)
105. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/17/18, 2 of 8 (MK, DK, Pika, Luigi)
106. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/17/18, 3 of 8 (Incineroar, DK, Pikachu, Mario FFA)
107. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/17/18, 4 of 8 (Incineroar, K Rool, Pikachu, Pichu FFA)
108. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/17/18, 5 of 8 (Marth, Mario, DK, Pikachu FFA)
109. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/17/18, 6 of 8 (Diddy Kong, Marth, DK, Pikachu FFA)
110. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/17/18, 7 of 8 (Pikachu, Richter, Falco, Zelda FFA)
111. AZ Smash Ultimate Demo -- Boolin' Boys -- 11/17/18, 8 of 8 (Pikachu, Doctor Mario, Incineroar, Pikachu FFA)
112. SMASH ULTIMATE ZERO SUIT SAMUS IMPRESSIONS!! (DIRECT FEED)
113. SMASH ULTIMATE 40+ FACTS!!!! (DIRECT FEED)
114. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Easy Allies Preview
115. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Jisu(Marth) & Mistake(Bayonetta) VS Marissa(Pikachu) & n0ne(Ganondorf)

Last edited:

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
Hello readers!

First off, thank you all for providing feedback. Please smash that like button, if you like the information you are reading.

Just a little update:

I would personally prefer if you all commented on things you want to see or dislike about this post.

The suggestion to separate the game play footage was a great idea and I appreciate all the info on his special moves. Thank you.
Still fine with PMs but please... stop sending me troll messages and smash memes. You know who you are.

Also, I do apologize for not getting those SPOILER boxes added. I've been told how to do them, but I cannot get them to work for the life of me.
Hopefully I can figure it out soon.

Now that some time has past and it is the middle of August (wow! 2 months flew by fast), I will most likely start linking some speculations/"guides" that people will be making. The latest Direct seems to have put in more attention on Ultimate.

In the meantime I will try to keep this post updated. Have a great life and I will see you in Smash!

Last edited:

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
People already have the official game early before official release date. Nintendo ya dun goofed >.>

It has been leaked that you can unlock every single character after 350 versus matches.
This is a very fast method to unlock all the characters. To do this:

1. Play a versus match with 1 stock and self-destruct (just lose instantly by running off)
If you want to play around and win then set the timer to 1 minute (or less if possible)
2. Close the application to bypass the 10 minute character unlock lockout period
3. Unlock the new character
4. Re-start Smash bros ultimate and repeat from step 1

So ideally, it should take around 2 hours

Last edited:

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu will probably remain an upper-tier fighter, as was the case in Smash 4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom