• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Speed Stance

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
...Is it me, or is Speed the least useful form?
Jump can help recover, Shield is great for tanking and quick live saves, Buster racks up damage, and Smash finishes them off, early or otherwise.
Speed just...boosts speed, which is rarely an advantage, at least that's what I've found.

Anyone found any good use for Speed Form?

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
You go as fast as Sonic and have this beautiful thing that is Shulk's Nair, which has absolutely no ending lag whatsoever if you land before the attack ends. Also it's nice for quick grabs here and there.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
You go as fast as Sonic and have this beautiful thing that is Shulk's Nair, which has absolutely no ending lag whatsoever if you land before the attack ends. Also it's nice for quick grabs here and there.
I concede on the quick grabs, but that's all I've ever used it for. I find the uses few and far between.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I use Speed just to mess with my opponent. At very low percents (0-10%) with it you can do dthrow > run > nair/fair > jab or jab 1 > regrab

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
OK these.pivot Grabs tilts and smashes, chases in combos, shorter jumps and nairs, dashing up smashes, boost grabs(I think I don't know how to boost grab well)

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think speed is his most useful art. You can combo at any % with this art setting yourself up with good stage position. You can play aggressive or defensive, you can react to your opponent much better..speed is amazing.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
...Is it me, or is Speed the least useful form?
Jump can help recover, Shield is great for tanking and quick live saves, Buster racks up damage, and Smash finishes them off, early or otherwise.
Speed just...boosts speed, which is rarely an advantage, at least that's what I've found.

Anyone found any good use for Speed Form?
It's you. You're not feeling it!
:4shulk:: Why don't you want to play an Art that makes you almost as, exactly, or even faster than :4sonic:? "That's the Monado's power!"

But really, the pivot grabs, the shield+stopping, dashing+shield option, even playing mind-games to either be aggressive, passive-aggressive for punishes, or strict defensive, you can make your opponent make the first move & with that speed, you can punish any stage-wide mistake they do. Pretty much what Hylian said.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Like, it's not useless, but easily my least used form.
I'm gonna do a Speed Only Run and see if I can start...how you say...really feeling it.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Speed is slower then sonic apparently except for extreme speed.
It's Fox level if I understand aeros chart.

The advantage is getting in position to punish and easier follow ups.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
My most used arts:

1. Buster & Smash
2. Speed
3. Jump
4. Shield

Speed's great for rapid hits and locking down/shutting out your opponent. I use it when Buster is down and the enemy's % is too low for a Smash finish, or if the enemy vastly out-speeds Shulk (Fox, Sonic, ZSS, Sheik, etc.). Jump really only helps for getting back to the stage, but I rarely wind up in situations where Shield proves useful. Enemies typically have the knockback to knock me off stage regardless of my defense at high %s, so I usually accept my fate and use either Buster or Speed to pump on as much damage as possible before my inevitable KO (this doesn't apply to last stocks; if I'm down to 1 stock, Shield is obviously my favored option).

Speed + nair->tilt/jab is the way to go a lot of the time. Utilt juggled with speed active are almost as useful with Speed active as with Buster I've found. Never spam nair, though. That's not its purpose. Think of it as a combo opener, like in Killer Instinct (if you've ever played it). Follow it with ground attacks. I've done strings like nair->jab combo->Fsmash (if the enemy doesn't tech-roll)->fair flawlessly several times.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
....Does Speed increase Attack Speed as well?
If so, I haven't used it right at all.
It whittles down end lag, I'm pretty sure. Maybe it's placebo and I'm seeing things, but I'll be damned if attacks don't come out and end quicker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom