• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Speculation] Stage Builder

Will Stage Builder return?

• No.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Yes, largely unchanged.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Yes, with more options.

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Yes, totally overhauled.

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
We know we're going to have custom characters already. The return of custom stages seems like a logical choice, especially since we already enjoyed it before in Brawl and some patches of P:M.

Do you think it'll return? How do you think it'll change? Would you want it to return?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
As much as I want it to be overhauled, I don't see that happening, but you never know. It would be really cool if we had less limitations on it as a whole, and had more backgrounds to choose from. Maybe we could even make textures, wouldn't that be a dream haha!

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I cast my vote more out of hope than confidence. I enjoyed the Stage Builder in Brawl and I do hope it makes a return.

Hopefully it will have tons more options, though. However, the current state of Mario Maker doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

I would like for it to have the same functionality as it did in Brawl, with the addition of: more variety in block types, more possible stage hazards than just spikes and fall-away blocks, the option for walk-off sides, the option to place my own starting locations and item drop locations, and so on.

I just want enough room to really be creative with stages. Not just in layout but in visual design.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I believe it'll return.

I had an idea a long time ago that we may be able to customize already made stages, ie. editing Coliseum by adding platforms, potentially making them tourney legal as well.

As for actual approval of being tourney legal, we can have a community official "edited stage list"

Stages like Wily's Castle may have specific options to themselves. On the bottom right of the screen would be the "special" bar where an on/off switch for platforms and the Yellow Devil. On the top right, would be the basic bar, where various platforms and miscellaneous hazards would appear. These applications would match the stage just as they did in Brawl. At the same time, stages themselves can be moved to feel different from others. Increasing the ceiling distance or lowering it and a potential new mechanic to the game, making right or left blastzones smaller or larger than the other.

However, if these ideas come to fruition, I'm not sure if we would have full control over some stages like editing out walk-offs. Coliseum and Boxing Ring may be limited to their FD forms.

This is not to say I care about competitive play only. Just putting this here just in case.

Doc.Pringles

Smash Cadet
I opted to post this here rather than create it's very own thread. I was wondering if anyone has any expectations on possible new directions or features with stage builder? some features I've come up with:

• Fore/background decoration (foreground as in grass, plants, small non-clipping obstructions), and theme-specific decorations at that
  • Custom spawns for teams (this one intrigues me because you can sort of create territories for custom-modes)
  • Stage hazards and/or bosses (thinking yellow devil, probably not so much advanced bosses like Ridley)
  • Custom blast zones
  • Custom physics (not likely, but it would be sweet if you could customize physics or even item drops/frequencies/rules)
  • A geometrical builder specifying completely customizable geometry, not standard shapes as "building blocks"
  • Compatibility for 3DS in future (stages, not builder)?
  • Custom painting/texturing
  • Active stage, such as scrolling stages and stage "events/triggers"
I feel like they can truly implement a bunch of cool features that will really make this mode awesome. Seeing as it only took me 5 minutes to come up with the above list, hopefully the fellows over at Nintendo considered the same. Something similar to LBP (minus the contraptions obviously) would be so damn sweet.

Top Bottom