• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Special Angle on header spike

Physical_Chess

Smash Rookie
I was playing for glory and got the header spike over the center of the stage, the angle the opponent got sent at was very different from the usual (see video). Has this ever happened to anyone else? And more importantly, does anyone know how to get this angle intentionally? If we could do this on purpose it could really improve our game, maybe even give us a 50/50 type of scenario like sheik, if you don't dodge you get hit with uair, if you do you get spiked off stage like this.

Lord_Espurr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wheresthetoilet
3DS FC
5129-1941-8904
This has happened to me a few times before but I've always forgotten to get the replay, so thanks for posting this.
The special effects kind of make it hard to see, but it looks like Samus was hit upwards by the ball, then downwards by the header a split second later. I'm not sure why that sent her at such a weird angle though. Maybe the angles averaged each other out or something?

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
I normally get rid of my header ball before spiking, and I have never gotten that angle before. So Espurr is probably right.

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
I haven't seen that before! Maybe Espurr is right, I'm not a data expert though.

NB: Did you wait until the end of the header to get that? Or did you press B just before?

Physical_Chess

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen that before! Maybe Espurr is right, I'm not a data expert though.

NB: Did you wait until the end of the header to get that? Or did you press B just before?
Honestly, I do not recall. I feel like I may have pressed it, but I'm not sure at all.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
This was one of those weird things I played with that I wasn't sure if it was useful or not.
I'm still not sure how to explain this, but I'd imagine it has to do with hitlag and the center hitbox on WFT's header.

Seems fine as a 50/50, but a little weak since it really only starts working around the percents that uthrow(rage+db), ftilt, and SS(charged) will start killing making it pretty unsafe in comparison.

All that said, it's pretty stylish and easy to do. Just pop DB around 140% or so percent( or lower with rage) and use header normally.

Not sure everyone it works on but the characters I tested it on back then were WFT, Bowser(had to raise the percents if I remember), Samus, Mario and Sheik(who was really difficult to do this on...)

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I've done this once to a FG Bowser. It could maybe help if you could do it consistently, but it could also mess up kills by sending them into the stage. :/

⑨ball

Smash Ace
I've done this once to a FG Bowser. It could maybe help if you could do it consistently, but it could also mess up kills by sending them into the stage. :/
We can do it consistently, it's just not practical since it requires DB and high percentages.

It's like opting trying to hard read into a downsmash at 140 when you can just DB>uthrow.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Got a video where I got the special angle in a tournament, slowed it down so we can somewhat see what happened better. Deep Breathing was active.
We tech those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom