• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spam Wars

FRYGUY

Smash Rookie
NNID
thezakattac
This could be chalked up to general suckiness on my part, but I recently got destroyed over and over in several spam war matches with Samus on for glory. Dude stayed on the edge, charging up the blast/spamming missiles. Avoiding them wasn’t so much the problem, but more on my approach. Couldn’t get in on the ground, and trying to break in using f air, b air or d air were always met with a block and a grab. Basically the closest I could get to even competing was spamming blades/leaf shield/crash bombs. Couldn’t get close enough for lemons or forward smash without eating a full charge blast or getting grabbed. Eventually my air attacks became predictable enough he would up air or screw attack.

Any ideas? I rematched him over and over, trying to use it as a lesson on overcoming a matchup that truly stumped me but kept coming up short. I’m not fantastic but can generally hold my own with Mega Man. I’ve never considered Samus’ grab beam quick but goddam, I had nothing on this dude.

sidenote - I apologize if this is better suited posted elsewhere, I'm new here.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
You want to fake her out and bait her into doing something. Jumping towards her and shooting a diagonal Metal Blade will force her to either dodge or block, and if she rolls you can chase after her and grab or dash attack.
You want to weave in and out and make sure to keep a good distance at mid range, and use Rush as a way of mixing up your landings. If she misses a grab attempt she's very vulnerable. Always pressure her with Buster shots to rack up damage and interrupt her charge, and to possibly frustrate the player into making mistakes.

If she manages to charge her shot to max, it pays to keep in mind that most people don't shoot a charge shot at point blank range so pressuring her into an uncomfortable position and always being ready for her panic shot can help you keep an advantage.

Homing Missiles don't home in all that well and you can just jump over them, and Mega Man can crouch under Super Missiles.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Whenever you feel like Samus is going to shoot her Charge Beam, press A. It really is stupid, but if she is interrupted at the start of her shooting animation, she simply loses her Charge Beam :p

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Pretty much what already been said here. But we had a Samus discussion some time ago on the Zero's Advice thread, i think this might help:

Here are some videos to liven things up. And by liven things up, I mean... I'm sorry, Samus, and those who think this matchup is close to even. This is incredibly one-sided and Mega Man just needs to play the matchup correctly to win.

AAA demonstration
BAir vs BAir
UAir love on Battlefield
We Livin'

4 videos. I have more I wanted to upload, but it's late and I wanted to get this out. @HeroMystic and I played for maybe an hour and a half and came up with the following conclusion: Samus has no answer to pellets.

Half/full charge shot? Stuffed by pellets too at the right range. She can start to make headway if pellets get so stale that super missiles outprioritize them, but both missiles & Z-air can be traded with fsmash.

Note: Yes, this is wifi, but the connection was smooth and the principle still stands. During some of these matches, I went into auto pilot AAA utilt mode, mostly because I wasn't worried about making mistakes or really worried about taking hits in general. I miss some trading opportunities and mess up my pellet spacing at times which leads to some good Samus combo's.

I encourage both sides to analyze these videos to see if there is something that was missed. But I think they do a decent job of showing what happens in this matchup.
While i still think that Samus is one tough annoying pain in the ***, after seeing this and changing my gameplan against her a little, it is a lot more manageable.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
It's a shame that we have to play so lame against some characters (Little Mac and Samus).

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
It's a shame that we have to play so lame against some characters (Little Mac and Samus).
Gotta do what we gotta do.

Be honest, did you ever felt bad for abusing Spark Mandrill's weakness in Megaman X?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Yeah, fighting against a Samus user doing nothing but spam projectiles (commonly being referred to by many as Spamus...) is like a needle is stuck in my ass and I can't get it out. Fortunate enough, the more of them I see with the same cheap tactic, the more I learn to exploit their weaknesses.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Don't stop jumping, shooting lemons the whole time :)

Top Bottom