• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

spam thowing pikmin? or conserve pikmin for getting back to the level?

iTz NaY

Smash Cadet
i personally like to throw pikmin but make sure i have 4-6 with me at all times to maximize my chance on getting back to the level after getting knocked off. whats you're strats and input ?

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Usually if I get launched off of the stage, I immediately whistle to recall all of my Pikmin. With this tactic, I don't have to be afraid of throwing as many Pikmin as I want, throughout the match. I know that if I don't happen to have all of my Pikmin with me when I am launched off stage, I can just recall them by whistling.

I recommend using Pikmin Throw generously throughout your battles. It's a great damage supplement to your combos, especially if you latch a Pikmin on your opponent and immediately follow with a grab, for example. Also, throwing Pikmin can help distract your opponent, giving you opportunities to approach them.

iTz NaY

Smash Cadet
yea true. but sometimes when u whistle ur pikmin back to you. by pressing down-b. u go lower...happens sometimes to me.lol. and going lower really doesnt help getting back. and i try not to throw to many pikmin. because i might be carried away and have 1 or none left and the enemy will charge me and im defenseless.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
yea true. but sometimes when u whistle ur pikmin back to you. by pressing down-b. u go lower...happens sometimes to me.lol. and going lower really doesnt help getting back. and i try not to throw to many pikmin. because i might be carried away and have 1 or none left and the enemy will charge me and im defenseless.
Hi. Usually, one whistle is enough to recall all of the Pikmin back to Olimar. As long as you press down+B at the same time, you shouldn't DI lower. Although, if you whistle a lot in the air, you're spending more of your DI whistling rather than moving towards the stage, and that could affect your chances of tethering successfully.

As for your Pikmin throwing problem, I understand what you're going through. It's quite easy to throw too many Pikmin at once and get carried away.

Watch this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HmM1pCYCv6A

Notice how this Olimar throws Pikmin in bursts of one or two. He doesn't throw all six at the opponent. Rather, he jumps in the air and throws a couple at a time. Jumping is a good tactic, when throwing Pikmin, because you can move while throwing. In this video, the Olimar player is using Pikmin Throw in a very unique way. He's being very offensive and throwing Pikmin up close to the opponent. By generously throwing Pikmin, Olimar controls the stage. I hope that helps!

Wilde

Smash Rookie
I like to throw pikmin liberally

I always try to make sure I have 6 pikmin out (sometimes I leave 4-5, but only briefly in a string of attacks) and I try to throw as many as I can when an opportunity shows itself. If someone is in optimal range, I throw pikmin liberally (max of 5 though, I always need 1 with Olimar obviously) to rack up damage.

Pikmin on the enemy do more than damage, they play HEAVILY into mindgames and allow you to manipulate spacing. You can put yourself in a space to advance and punish them during the lag after they attack the pikmin off of you, or fall back when the enemy goes to attack you and the pikmin continue to add up damage.

All in all, I think I like being more liberal with pikmin throwing. It only takes a split second to pull a new pikmin out of the ground. While Olimar does have some AMAZING smashes, all smashes make you equally susceptible to the enemy and the more damage you can rack up while being in the least amount of danger the better.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Seeing as Olimar's tether recovery is so gimped, if you're going to have to use it odds are you're already being edgehogged.

Aside from that, though, throwing Pikmin is much more effective. They block and absorb attacks, they're a great distraction, and they do damage. And, as has been stated, you can whistle to get them back.

Delere

Smash Rookie
If you're in a position to be spam throwing pikmin you shouldn't be getting knocked off the stage by anything. The only time I throw a pikmin in close range is when I have 1-2 whites in the front, I throw them then grab with my next one.

However, if you throw more than 2-3, some characters could take out your pikmin and send you flying with one attack at a high enough percentage. I generally throw 3-4 pikmin at a time, but I usually whistle them back if my opponent rushes when I am at a high percent.

Fino

Smash Master
for your DI problem, don't slam down b, if you do it lighter you won't ff. If you're really having trouble you might consider b-sticking, however I wouldn't highly recommend it. I had a similar problem the first time I used it too... it's nothing a little practice will take care of.

~Fino

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
I both spam Pikmin and use them to get back to the stage. I just am always sure to have 5 alive at all times (sometimes it doesn't happen), and I keep track of how many little Pikmin deaths I hear. When I play, I'm usually very conscious about my line.

So then, if I get hit off, I'll whistle right away to get them all back, even if they were latched to someone. The only pikmin I throw while off the stage are purples, to discourage edgehoggers--but even then, I'll whistle them back if I have time.

Mitsuko

Smash Apprentice
if i get knocked off the stage, i just wistle to get my pikmin back, so it really doesn't matter

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Have a gander at this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xOnxUKgzBgs

I believe it is a great example of an Olimar getting carried away with throwing Pikmin. He simply threw too many, too quickly. Though he was able to get a few Pikmin latched onto his opponent, the Olimar player let himself be quite vulnerable a number of times. He wasn't punished for that by his opponent, but a smart opponent will take advantage of these vulnerabilities, due to Olimar not having enough Pikmin with him.

EDIT: After watching that video a few more times, I noticed that Olimar was, indeed, punished for throwing too many Pikmin, like at 4:05.

Top Bottom