• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spacing yourself and stage control

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Good spacing is an essential tactic that every Olimar user needs to master to do well. Sometimes this can mean backing up to space well placed fsmashes, retreating fairs or bairs, retreating pikmin throw, etc. against the more aggressive opponents. If you look at Olimar's matchups, you'll realize that most of Olimar's bad matchups are very offensive based characters.(kirby, marth, mk, yoshi, peach are some good examples of this) These character's goals are to put you onto the edge of the stage where your spacing options are limited, and thus Olimar does poorly. You might ask, "Isn't that the goal of every character?" It is, but it's more so with these characters than most. Come up with ways to deal with these problems.

[Olimar's stage control issues are what I'm mostly looking at]

~Discuss

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
i think that after experimenting with it more this week - the answer is simply pivot grabbing - outside of kirby - these characters really must land behind you to finish their moves. Pivot grab is fast and has great range - i truly think its the answer.

i would type more - but i have a huge bandage on my pinky and its hard to type :(

asob4

Smash Champion
well the main thing is knowing your ranges and how they are with the stage. of course i'm referring to platforms. you need to know which ones your up smash goes through and be able to use it effectively.

also, retreating/approaching fair > auto canceled fsmash is too good for spacing

Awex

Smash Lord
Whistle Armor is always good in a pinch. The damage is worth it to get control back sometimes.

not really related but delfino plaza is so good for olimar
Really? Never strikes me as a great Olimar stage every time I play there with him. Any particular reason why?

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Whistle Armor is always good in a pinch. The damage is worth it to get control back sometimes.

Really? Never strikes me as a great Olimar stage every time I play there with him. Any particular reason why?

Water hazards + "attack from underneath" main platform Olimar can't use really with his recovery + Angled edges that make Pikmin Throw difficult without a SH = No way it is.

I never go there when I pick the stage...

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Somthing that has to do with both topics of this thread: Corneria.

Corneria is an incredible Olimar stage. The area down by the engines pretty much spaces your opponent for you so you can own them. You just wait down by the engines and let them come to you, then you basically launch an all out assault on them, chain them against the wall, spike them, or fling them into Corneria's very low ceiling (great for Olimar's usmash). I nearly beat G&W (he was no pushover) on Corneria, and that's his best stage. Definitely one of Olimar's best as long as you don't get cocky and stay in the safe zone behind the dorsal wing.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
Something i've been working on is Olimar's sliding reverse grab. Using this you can safely retreat while grabbing. You don't move to far, but you should miss an attack from your opponent and grab him if he is on the ground.

You lose the range of a pivot grab, but you move backward instead of forward. And you can use pivot grabs to mix it up.

Top Bottom