• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

spacer or assulter

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
i compared other ppl ZSS and i noticed that they all space. im more of someone that charges at someone and get in a couple hits and finish them later. can u tell me if i should start spacing or if its alright to switch in between.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, it's dependent on your style. Every play has developed his/her style based off their abilities at the game. Many people space, because of their style. My Yoshi, yes I'm using my Yoshi as an example on the ZSS boards, is one of the most aggressive things you will meet. I do not shield I do not space, I am in your face at all time, if I wish to block something I nair, or jab. You see you can use these tactics instead, which sets you apart from others. IMHO, spacing is a great thing to apply. But still you have to stay true to your style. Which is like my Yoshi, from what you are describing. What I would suggest is that you experiment in your friendlies with spacing, and then with your aggression. But keep in mind there can be a balance between the to. So don't go all agression and end up walking into an Fsmash.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i like to combine it a lot.

e.g. i'll be spacing from the distance, and then when they start getting used to it i run in and hit them with the closer ranged attacks (yay utilt).

Skink

Smash Apprentice
I am extremely aggressive when playing zamus or pikachu. When I'm using Mario, I play much more defensively and block or dodge then punish. Zamus is just good for an aggressive play style. She's fast and has a good running a and aerials. When I decide they need to die, I either intercept them in the air with something hard hitting or suddenly switch to defense and >B. Of course, tempo depends on the match up, and if I'm facing a faster character I play differently. It's common sense.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
IMO, it's easier to get a great spacing game down than it is to get a great close-range game down. When I'm playing "seriously," I space a LOT, but in friendlies, I drop the spacing frequently because it gives you practice out of your element. I think ideally, ZSS uses spacing to frustrate and just when your opponent gets used to it, you close the distance and chip at them for a minute, then back off into the spacing just when they get used to fighting you up close.

All in all, I think her spacing game is stronger than her up close game; however, practicing her up close game heavily will get you better prepared for situations where you are forced to use it and will give you a ****load of mixups that will help you overall greatly.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
so i should space a lot but practice with close combat?
Yes. That way you have a backup plan if your first plan doesn't work (which happens more often than you might like). And after awhile, you will be able to switch back and forth between the two and really keep your opponent guessing.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
so i should space a lot but practice with close combat?
It's really matchup dependent. If your enemy can't handle shield pressure or doesn't have great punishment, stick in their face. If you're playing people that can punish like crazy or have great out-of-shield, then space. Blend the styles, you need both.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
You gotta space aggresively? Or die cause a good snake is hard to beat. Getting him in the air is good too cause your aerials are good.

Plus space so he wont nail you with his f-tilt and you can hit him with b-left but watchout for grenades.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You still want to space, but you just have to be really smart about it. I tend not to like Plasma Whip in this match, mostly because Paralyzer is so good at holding down his projectile spam game, as well as stopping Mortar Slide approaches. Just avoid his 'nades and C4, and everything else isn't as much of a problem.

Top Bottom