• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soooooo.. YLink can't bomb jump can he?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
^Read^

I've always had trouble bomb-jumping with both Links(old and young). For some reason, when I Throw the bomb up and then upB, they smakc the bomb a few times but it doesn't explode.

I've had more success with Older Link than Young Link though(I can NEVER do it with YLink). Is there something I'm doing wrong or can he just not bomb jump period?

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
You really can't bomb jump with ylink unless you've waited a little before throwing it up and then upBing but usually what happens to me is that I upB then it explodes and then I upB again and make it back on the ledge. But for some reason that happens to me alot in matches.

Chip.

you know what to do
yes, Young Link can bomb jump by either waiting for the bomb to start to turn red and then you throw up and upB, like l33teHaxor said.

Another way is to hold onto the bomb in the air and then double jump. At the climax of your double jump, you press Z and drop the bomb. Then, nair and the bomb will explode you.

If you're talking about traditional and doing how Link would do it then no. Young Link can't do that bomb jump period >=[

Laijin

Smash Hero
Chip, seriously. Although thats a way to bomb jump..whats the point of doing all that in a match? Its not like it'll make his recovery any better. Your better off just holding onto the bomb for a long time, using up-b, then let the bomb explode in your hand to get your third jump back.

:\ Young Link can't bomb jump like Link at all. So don't even try. Even still, his recovery is alot better than Link's, so he does'nt need it. (If only his hookshot was longer... >__>)

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
I understand what your saying laijin and I don't even use that bomb jump that I described, I usually wait for a long time, upB and let the bomb explode and and use the upB again.

It's also a shame that ylinks hookshot isn't longer. I understand why they would make it smaller when you want to grab someone but why didn't they make it longer for when you want to hookshot the ledge. But oh well ylink's upB recovery is better than link's so I guess that's why they had link's hookshot bigger not because he's bigger but just for better recovery.

Bane

Smash Journeyman
I understand what your saying laijin and I don't even use that bomb jump that I described, I usually wait for a long time, upB and let the bomb explode and and use the upB again.
/\
Only practical option.

As for the hookshot, it's a scaling issue. Most everything of Link's is larger, to do it the other way around would be unfair to Link, his younger-self besting him in almost every way. It was just another attempt to balance them. Still, I can appreciate the sentiment, it's no longer then yoshi's tongue. Who uses a grappling hook that short anyways. (Imagine TP water dungeon with a four-foot clawshot... eugh)

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
young links "hit bomb with nair" jump is not useless. it can change ur direction for dodgehookshot, and at high damage it CAN make you go further. the tricky part is the DI and how it turns you around sometimes. so its almost useless but not really because with all the options for recovery ylink has already, this just adds one more for the opponent to deal with

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
young links "hit bomb with nair" jump is not useless. it can change ur direction for dodgehookshot, and at high damage it CAN make you go further. the tricky part is the DI and how it turns you around sometimes. so its almost useless but not really because with all the options for recovery ylink has already, this just adds one more for the opponent to deal with
I don't think it's useless I just can't picture a way to use it but I understand what the concept of "hit bomb with nair," I just don't really know how to use it so I stick with the hookshot or the other methods of survival.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
You can use the hookshot after the nair to bomb recovery that much I do know but the thing I don't know is how to use it.

Anyone got a vid of it???

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Just keep a bomb always at hand, stall as much as possible when you're returning and once it explodes on its own it's your chance to return.

Jayp112089

Smash Rookie
the concept is simple enough just tap Z to release the bomb then tap A for his Neutral Air Attack (NAIR) dont worry about the sheik picture as my avatar young link is my second main

Giggidax

Smash Ace
well ylinks nair bomb jumping is pointless to attempt, the whole idea of bomb jump is to cancel ur Upb, so u can do another upb.

so dropping a bomb, and nairing it would jus be considered blowing urself up. and u hardly get anywhere nairing ur bomb either.
i jus stick to Ylink's semi bomb jump = have bomb in hand > upb > explodes > upb again.

not really a bomb jump... but still

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
well ylinks nair bomb jumping is pointless to attempt, the whole idea of bomb jump is to cancel ur Upb, so u can do another upb.

so dropping a bomb, and nairing it would jus be considered blowing urself up. and u hardly get anywhere nairing ur bomb either.
i jus stick to Ylink's semi bomb jump = have bomb in hand > upb > explodes > upb again.

not really a bomb jump... but still
That's what I mostly do and it happens to me alot more than others though, but I just wanted to see if nai bombing was useful and I found that it wasn't.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
That only works if your holding a bomb in your hand for a long time. But rarely ever happens as you tend to throw the bomb immediately away.
yea, its not a sure fire way of doing a bomb jump, but usually ill get lucky and "coincidently" have a bomb in my hand that explodes while im UpBing.

and sometimes ill purposely pull out a bomb if im at decently high percents just in case i get knocked off, and it could save me

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
and sometimes ill purposely pull out a bomb if im at decently high percents just in case i get knocked off, and it could save me
I do the same thng except sometimes it explodes right in my face right after they do an attack like Marth's Fsmash which leads o another Fsmash in the face and I die. That's the only thing I hate about that. But mostly it'll explode when I'm off the ledge and after I have done an upB.

Top Bottom