• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sooooo...Skype Group anyone?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I mean, the Mewtwo Boards already have one with like 24 people (i know, cause im in it lol), and Lucas is gonna be out in like 2 months...I'd be willing to start one if anyone's up for it? : 3 My Skype's "spiderfreak1011".

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
NO. Skype groups completely ruin discussion and activity on boards. If a Skype group is made for this board, I'm leaving.

Please just... no. I already touched on this in the social and Reserved mentioned it right now. Skype sucks away all discussion and activity from a board that gives it a community.

Honestly if a Skype group is made I'll have to leave and will only ever pop in for data stuff. I can play Lucas just fine without the community, so the community would be the only reason I'd have to even visit smashboards in general.

Last edited:

Spirst

Putting things a little less extremely, Skype groups typically end up slowing board activity down. With a character still yet to be released for two months, the most active thread on the board will be the social thread. Skype and that would overlap which leaves the board with little else in terms of social activity.

Skype is alright in itself but having archived forum posts is superior to having instant communication in my opinion. Forums build a larger sense of community.

Also, it's only been one day after his announcement. I think it's too soon since the forum members are likely not even established yet.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Just to pop in so that the mods don't see bias. I also wouldn't like a Skype group to be made, I personally feel we can freely discuss here on the boards at ease with everyone because keep in mind not everyone has Skype / want to be in a Skype group to begin with. Besides any thing we want to talk about in a Skype group can be talked about here, including there probably won't even be much discussion to begin with since Lucas isn't out yet. Overall, by interacting on the forum, we wouldn't have to exclude any people from any sort of discussion.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Honestly no. No hate towards you because this thread is full of Pk Love.
But I have been waiting for his return since the day he was cut.
I have been in the social/support forum and I have made so many friends there.
If Lucas goes Skype it ruins the whole point of me being here.
Because it will just start happening with my other mains.:popo::wolf:
Keep him on the boards :):lucas::4lucas:

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
honestly I would love a Skype group. Maybe closer to release tho.

I prefer Skype groups because I don't have to wait for replies regarding my newbie questions, and I don't have to feel like I'm wasn't anyone's time, or apparently precious forum space?

Drippy

Smash Ace
honestly I would love a Skype group. Maybe closer to release tho.

I prefer Skype groups because I don't have to wait for replies regarding my newbie questions, and I don't have to feel like I'm wasn't anyone's time, or apparently precious forum space?
Regarding your newbie questions, I'm pretty sure there will be a Lucas Question / Answer Thread where any questions you may have will probably already be answered or someone could get to it, and if no one makes the thread then I will. I also already have a guide prepared (template / formatting already done, just need to put in information) and it seems some people of the community are willing to help me out with it so if you have questions regarding Lucas you could just go there and check it out yourself. And I mean just because you're on Skype doesn't 100% mean people will know the answer nor respond in time and it just seems you're being impatient. I don't get your second point. And you're not really wasting forum space unless you're : trolling and posting pointless stuff irrelevant to the subject or you're just spamming and contributing nothing to the conversation otherwise what's the point of a forum if you're scared to "waste forum space" which is something I don't really understand much either.

I mean I feel like creating a Skype group has more cons then pros. There's the possibility someone will answer your newbie questions faster in exchange for separating an already kind / active community and excluding others who can't have access to Skype nor want too thus essentially calling a divide, and if people do use Skype as a main source of communication then the Lucas forum will die and that would really suck because I much rather use the forums where I can talk to everybody and not just a small selected group of people.

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
This board (and more accurately just the Lucas forum) running quicker is less important than having more tools to discover what the characters potential is, which is what I care about personally. This is already a really active site and I'd like to have some conversation that happens in real time with others.

Hammabro

Smash Apprentice
Skype group is inevitable imo. Those of you who do not wish to do not have to participate in the group but it provides INSTANT communication and discussion about the character including; strengths, weaknesses and matchups goes by much faster and can be archived by anyone and posted on here. Plus it doubles as a social platform to react to live tournaments and such. It's a great way to communicate amongscharacter enthusiasts and has been beneficial as both a lucina and zss main (huge for the latter). If you guys just want your cool kids club on the boards sure. Keep on keeping on but I'd rather not wait 2-3 days for a good response to a serious question I have or to see solid discussion develop about something important to me related to the character.

I don't know any of you guys and to be honest I won't have the time to constantly be on the forums, Skype allows me to quickly enter and leave any conversation related to the character that I am interested in.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Skype group is inevitable imo. Those of you who do not wish to do not have to participate in the group but it provides INSTANT communication and discussion about the character including; strengths, weaknesses and matchups goes by much faster and can be archived by anyone and posted on here. Plus it doubles as a social platform to react to live tournaments and such. It's a great way to communicate amongscharacter enthusiasts and has been beneficial as both a lucina and zss main (huge for the latter). If you guys just want your cool kids club on the boards sure. Keep on keeping on but I'd rather not wait 2-3 days for a good response to a serious question I have or to see solid discussion develop about something important to me related to the character.

I don't know any of you guys and to be honest I won't have the time to constantly be on the forums, Skype allows me to quickly enter and leave any conversation related to the character that I am interested in.

Just my 0.02 cents.
A two / three day wait is a huge over-exaggeration, that long of a wait is going to be exactly what happens if there's a Skype group. Also I'd beg to differ about us being a "cool kids club" because the forums is open to everyone and not a specific group of people who have access to Skype which as I said in my previous comment I know everyone doesn't have access to or can use it for certain reasons. Also if you're one to just post a comment and leave, that's no different from just going on a forum, dropping a comment and checking later for any posts you've gotten back (and forums are even more efficient because you know when someone quotes you). Everything you mentioned can be discussed here without the fact that it's instant and I'm not underestimating the value of instant communication, but discussing on the forums allows information to instantly be relayed here if they're already being discussed on here to begin with while also letting us see the thought process behind the decisions and the perspective of other peoples on said subject instead of it just being discussed on the Skype group, coming to a conclusion, and posting it on the forum. And as I said before, the Lucas community is getting bigger everyday and has already formed a nice active group of people. Also I don't see how character enthusiasts wouldn't be able to speak up on the forums, I see NinjaLink commenting on the Mega Man forums and contributing just fine without the use of Skype.

This is just my opinion and I've already explained my opinions multiple times so I'm done discussing about this after this comment. In my opinion having a Skype group will just remove the unity of our community because as I said, not everyone is able to access Skype. I'm also worried that something (like with a Skype group I used to be a part of) is favoritism in the group, the group I was a part of didn't to include someone "special" to be in their group because they were really loud and anxious. In addition overall it's a backstab to the people (forum) who brought us here together to begin with to talk and discuss and then just leaving it and letting it slowly die once we have enough people for a Skype group. Also if a Skype group is going to be filled full of serious discussion then I'd want no part of it either (but that's personally me), I would enjoy being able to interact and act silly with people here in the social thread or any other thread such as the color alts for Lucas to talk about that type of stuff, and if I really want to discuss Lucas then I'll go to the competitive / movesets thread. My honest opinion is that a Skype group isn't needed but I'll respect your opinion, nothing is stopping you from making a Skype group and if you really want one then go for it.

Starman out,
*Teleports away*

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
honestly, the pm ness boards are dead because the Skype group there is so strong.

Skype groups are superior in my eyes because I can ask a very brief question such as "what do against Luigi?" And I can expect an answer in a timely manner. As apposed to the boards where communication is more formal and lengthy.

also, exactly. How many people can access smash boards and not Skype?

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
mind adding me to the skype group
username (killerwins45.)
don't forget the (.)

Top Bottom