• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Shield Pressure and Safe play

FrostByte

Smash Lord
As most people know, Shields play an integral part in competitive play. In Brawl however, since grab game has been nerfed for all but 2 or 3 characters, we have to find other ways to get around campy defensive play.

This brings me to a not-so-common long term use of bypassing shields.

Shield eating
Sonic is actually pretty good in this department. His Spin charge takes a moderate chunk of shield with every hit, homing too. With these combined, you can leave your opponent open.
(can somebody confirm if the Spindash can hit 3 times, I don't have access to a wii at the moment)

.....S.../
/-\1__3/
Where S is the Shield, 1 is the end of initial hop, 2 is the ground hitbox and 3 is the jump hitbox. You can hold backwards in the initial hop to travel a shorter distance, making it easier to hit.

Sonic's upsmash is another attack with good Shield eating and Shield stabbing properties due to it's multi-hit nature. However, the startup lag makes it unsafe while standing still and the momentum makes it difficult to hit with precicely when running. You might want to cancel your run animation first if you don't want to get the sliding effect.
Sonic's fair is also good for the same reasons and will cancel out perfect shields without risk of getting grabbed. Not the best choice against shields though due to it's limited versatility. It can only be used at the start of a jump.

Shield stabbing
What to do once you've got that shield down? Opening their shields will expose the top and bottom parts of their body. You can take advantage of this by using low and high attacks Sonic's main low attack after lowering an opponent's shield is his awesome downtilt, which is actually terrible against people with full shields (It moves him forwards which is basically asking to get grabbed). As long as it hits with the closest hitbox, you should get a free "combo." Another downtilt, uptilt or aerial depending on the % and knockback. Low Ftilt which is done by tilting in the down/left diagonal is also godly if you just want to get them out of your face. Low Fsmash can help if you space it well. Stutter step and Pivot step help a lot.

High attacks include aerials Fair and Bair which you can use freely. Homing attack can be used as a shield stabber as well as a shield eater as it hits the opponent's head most of the time. The cooldown on it can mess you up though but it's worth the rist IMO.

Safety
Sonic Says: That's no good! (youtube that phrase if you don't know what I'm talking about)

Dash attack is - by far your safest approach. It has good priority and good speed. A low risk, relatively high reward attack that you can get a fair or utilt off. Or you can just run away.

Ftilt pushes opponents away from you. Hits twice at close range to throw off impatient shieldgrabbers.

Downsmash allows you to weave in and out of range. It is relatively difficult to punish under the right circumstances. Don't do it when your opponent it right in front of you. If you're having trouble predicting your opponent's movements, this is the attack to use.

Counterattacks
The Spring helps you escape combos and gives you invincibility frames. If you spring away from your opponent, you can use the dair to reach the ground quickly. If you pursue, you can use the spring dair combo. The combo isn't completely free of risk though, high priority upairs will outprioritise the dair (Marth, T/Link, Metaknight etc.)

Pivot stepping is a technique that almost goes unpunished because Sonic pulls back even further. It's also a very good spacing tool along with the stutter step.

To be honest, I don't think anti-shield play is as important as it was in previous games in the Smash series due to the introduction of perfect shielding and an overall heavier emphasis on aerial play. But it's worth a try because Sonic needs to get every hit he can to match up to the damage building prowess of characters like Metaknight and Zamus.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
I meant the spin charge. I talk about the spindash in the second part and still need confirmation if it has 3 different hitboxes...

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i dont catch your meaning.. i know spin dash can hit behind the user when it initiates, and it can hit while its rolling accross the ground and also it can hit when it is in the air.

usually if u hit once with the ground roll, it has a cooldown or somthing for it to hit the same person again... im sure u have noticed when u try to keep turning around and hitting sum1 u tend to go thru them a few times.

i dont know how u would get 3 hits.. other than if u roll thru them once(1), turn around far enuff to cool the next ground hit, and then jump just as you hit them so u get the ground(2) and air hit(3).... this would be 3 hits with the actual spin dash alone.

you would also be able to cancel into another atttack while in the air obviously..(4)

i'm not sure I am understanding what your saying though.

why would one move have 3 different hit boxes?

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
I don't think that the spin dash so much has a cooldown before it can hit again so much as it cannot hit while turning, and a short time after, much like Jigglypuff's rollout both in Melee or Brawl. So hitting three times is feasable with proper distancing and an adequate charge up.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
I don't mean turning around. The first is at the end of the hop, still in the air but just about touching the ground. The second is on the ground and the third is the jump.

I've experimented with the aerial spin charge and it works. The Spin dash's initial hop has weird popups on the hitbox at random times. Sometimes it hit, others it didn't. I think it might have something to do with the speed at which he's going at.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
So Spin Charge is forward B and Spin Dash is Down B.

Perfect shielding helps Sonic counterattack beautifully. If you perfect block a move and do a dtilt or an utilt, let the combos begin.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Aww, that's inaccurate.

Not the info here, but the fact that Down B isn't spin dash even though it's been like that since Sonic 2. Carry on.

Top Bottom